AirTunes without AirPort Express? (Play to remote Mac)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Toe, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Hi. I don't have an Airport Express, but I do have a couple of Macs. Can I play music from one Mac to the other? I'd like the same music to come out of one, the other, or both computers. Would AirTunes do that, and can I legally get AirTunes without buying an APE?

Thanks!

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

You know....

That is a really good question and i would be curious of the answer. We also have several Macs located around the house and that would be cool if it was possible. I don't know if the AirTunes thing is possible though, but you might be able to figure something out with sharing music in iTunes.

3. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

4. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

You could use the Sharing feature build into iTunes if your macs are networked. It's under Preferences --> Sharing. I use it all the time. Only thing is you can't control it remotely, unless you use something like Apple Remote Desktop or Timbuktu.

5. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. But still no way to make one Mac act as just a receiver and set of speakers? Other than maybe QT Broadcaster, but that seems like a heck of a lot of overkill for a home stereo.

Basically, I want always want to control my music from my downstairs computer, but also hear it when I go upstairs (where my old iMac G3 runs my printer and will run Indigo).

Anyone who has AirTunes, could you tell me if it would work this way? And does the license restrict its distribution without an AirPort Express?

6. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

well airtunes is built into the latest version of iTunes, so you already have it, the trouble is that it won't do anything without the Aexpress. you could use the built in sharing feature of iTunes, and control the other mac remotely via remote desktop or VNC. that way you play it off the other mac, and it's basically like having a remote control for it. i tried this before, and it works fine :)

7. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

another point

I don't think you can play music through the speakers connected to your computer and play music through an AirPort Express as well, it's one of the other. Also goes for if you have more then one AirPort Express, you can't transmit to more then one of them at a time. I think this would be a cool feature to implement in the future so you can walk around your entire house and hear the music from room to room.

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Use Nicecast

Set one machine up as the "streaming server" and play songs, then open that feed from your other computers.

9. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

FYI, this seems like what I was asking for in the original post:
    http://www.ovolab.com/remotetunes/

But I have an APE now, so don't care. :D

(Now if only I could get my HP PSC 750 to work with the APE printer sharing...)

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I've been using nettunes for a couple weeks to do the same thing. I'd be interested in a comparison, if anyone has used both.