Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by greatdevourer, Aug 12, 2005.

1. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Does anyone know if it's possible to re-route all system audio through an Airport Express?
  2. .Andy macrumors 68030

Jul 18, 2004
    The Mergui Archipelago
    No it's not yet. It would be fantastic to be able to put all you system audio over it. Even just DVD audio would be fantastic :). Hopefully Apple will be able to enable it with a software update (and soon)!
  3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    No! They ought not do this. It wouldn't be cool at all. 3 reasons (at least):

1) The delay (due to buffering) is not constant and would make watching DVD a "painful" experience, sound-wise (this might be awesome whenever they let you stream video over the Express, but then you need a new one with video out, too)... :eek:
    2) The current system is perfect for listening to music while surfing, you can have music on as load as you want but turn down the sound on the Mac and thus not hearing those fudgeing annoying ads with audio attached... :cool:
    3) System sounds doesn't need to be played over your hifi... :rolleyes:
  4. .Andy macrumors 68030

Jul 18, 2004
    The Mergui Archipelago
    That's some fair points Mitthrawnuruodo :).
    1) Isn't this just (educated) conjecture at this point? I've heard this is the reason but it doesn't seem like it would be that hard considering the data the AEx basestation handles at present receiving and converting Apple lossless. It is interesting though.
    2) I ran this though the translator widget but it didn't help ;).
    3)By system sounds I was kind of including game sound fx. You're right I'm not that interested in hearing my mail ding over my hifi :D. It'd be nice not to have to fork out for some extra comp speakers when I've got my hifi right there. Currently I'm using a component to mini-jack cable but it's not that elegant!

5. greatdevourer thread starter macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Yeah, I'd like to use my nicer speakers for gaming and stuff like that without having to drape wires everywhere. Also, I may be able to use 1 set of speakers for all 3 computers, which would save a lot of hassle and desktop space (I currently have Harmon Kardon OEM ones and a 5.1 SHarK set, and a little box so that I can run my PB into the SHarK ones as well)
  6. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005
    As Mitthrawnuruodo pointed out, buffering is your problem. You will have to look at something else, like this. An fm av transmitter, receiver combo.
    Unless apple comes out with a Real Stream Airport (;)). Microphone in the airport, soundscan-synchro. :)rolleyes: - dreamy)

As for your multiple computers, use a mixer. Maybe six years back i bought myself the cheapest mixer with more than 2 chanels. No master slider - cheap indeed. It suited my needs.
    The moment i bought myself a decent 2.1 speakerset i installed the mixer. Three computers, easy volume, looks cool :cool: :D
  7. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2005
    The Hub of the Universe
    Is this what you're looking for?:
  8. greatdevourer thread starter macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Yeah, I found that yesterday just before our connection conked out. Looks cool. As soon as I save up enough money (again - bought an external HDD), I'll be happily listening away
  9. thumb macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    Airfoil is the app you are looking for. It works quite well. Demo gives you ten minutes of sound, then you have to retransmit. It is well worth buying it.

In order to play video and redirect sound to speakers, you will need to be using a better video player, something like VLC. There is a lag with the sound being sent over AEX, but with VLC you can correct for that in Preferences/audio (click advanced) and set audio desync. comp. to something like -2472 (you might have to play around with that number).

Nice feature is that it only redirects one app at a time (and not the system sounds, meaning that when you are watching a movie and you get email you don't hear a damn loud submarine in your living room.

make sure to select vlc in airfoil transmit, and you are good to go.

I do this all the time. If I hold my PB real close to my face, it even looks like I have a 57" LCD hometheater display.