Al 15" owners: please take 2 seconds to save my sanity...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by joelc73, Oct 10, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

May 3, 2002
    Could someone please listen closesly to the bottom of their machine and let me know if you hear anything?

My new 15" Al PowerBook makes a faint, but consistent buzzing sound when the machine is put to sleep. If you put your ear right up to the case underneath the CD drive, you can hear it. The problem is, it never stops making the sound. I'm worried that it may be darining my battery prematurely in sleep mode.

I'm not sure if this is a defect or if they all do it. Could someone please listen to theirs and let me know if you hear anything?

I really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.
  2. macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2003
    same thing.

My powerbook does that. I thought it was my adapter that was faulty and made apple send me out a new one...but that didn't do it...

So i guess its normal.

It is bothersome but i guess i'll get used to it.

just wondering though, is the noise quieter when the powerbook is unplugged? mine is.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 3, 2002
    Thanks for listening!

Yes, it is (slightly) louder when it's plugged in. Someone told me it could be a voltage converter, but I'm really not sure.

I do feel better knowing I'm the only one who's machine makes this sound. I thought at first it was a fan, but unfortunately, it never stops... even hours later!
  4. macrumors newbie

Sep 8, 2003
    East Lansing, MI
    Mine is certainly very faint, but yes, I do hear a noise by the drive.
  5. macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2003
    it is damn annoying though when you are studying in a totally silent room.
  6. macrumors member

Jul 17, 2003
    I listened hard, and I don't hear a thing. Nothing, just the hard drive spinning...
  7. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 3, 2002
    Close the lid first and let the machine sleep first (it could take a couple of seconds for the drive to stop spinning) and then listen really hard directly under the CD drive.
  8. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 3, 2002
    So now I'm REALLY confused...

For those that don't hear it; close the lid and literally put the bottom of the machine up to your ear.

You should hear a faint electronic sound. I'm starting to think it's the machine keeping the RAM refreshed, because it never turns off.

Anyway, I'm think maybe I should consider it "normal" and buy AppleCare in the meantime!
  9. macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2003
    Thats what I did.

It is annoying when i'm trying to study though, it becomes very noticeable.
  10. macrumors newbie

Apr 17, 2002
    i get the buzzin too

And I don't have to put my ear to the machine - I can hear from a couple of feet away when it is quiet. Annoying.
  11. macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    when mine is plugged in it makes a noise near the back right, but only when plugged in to power.