Al book 12" troubles (hard drive, case, monitor)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fussball, Jan 9, 2005.

1. fussball macrumors regular

Hey guys,
    I have a 1.33 ghz 12" AlBook. I absolutely love the thing, but it has some niggling issues.

first, and this is the one that concerns me the most, is that the hard drive makes noises like the disks are hitting the casing whenever I tilt the computer when it is on. It makes the lower left part of the computer vibrate and make some rather alarming noises. Has anyone had this happen to them? I have the 80 gb Hard drive.

second, my LCD display makes those horrible creaking sounds when I open it, any good remedies for the creaking? No one wants to open my computer because they think they are breaking it.

third, I have 2 dead pixels, which have been present since I purchased the computer- what is the threshold that Apple uses for display replacement?

and finally- my case is warped a bit on the bottom, such that when I place it on a flat surface, the lower right corner does not touch the desk, so when I place my hands on the computer to type, it tilts down a bit. This is a very annoying problem. Usually, I stick about 10 sheets of paper under the left rear to prop it up and balance the computer. What to do?

thanks in advance, John

2. Kreamy macrumors member

3. mactropy macrumors member

mactropy

I cannot say that much to your pixel problem, but let me give you some advice on the harddrive and case warping issues.

HD: In my old iBook, the HD started to make those clicking sounds after about 6 months. It still worked for a couple of days, but when I turned the computer off (I usually just shut it to let it go to sleep), the computer wouldn't re-boot anymore. It started in in target disk mode (Apple-T) and did a backup. I contacted Apple, they said the HD was bad and I sent the iBook in and received a new HD. With that being said. . . be very careful when your harddrive makes these noises.

Case Warping: I got my PB in August and usually just use it on my lap or on the couch. When I took it to work some day to copy some data, I realized that the bottom was warped because it started to wiggle around on the table. I gently (!) pushed the opposing corners down a bit and eliminated most of the warp by that. I talked to an Apple guy in our retail store and he said that the warping might be because I often just carry the PB holding the bottom left corner (and it is open). Since aluminum is a soft metal it tends to warp, he said. That made no sense to me since there has to be an inner framing structure to support the "intestines". But he didn't have any further advice. . . .

Well, I know this probably doesn't really help you with your problems, but I just wanted to show my solidarity. :eek:

4. fussball thread starter macrumors regular

MacTropy, thanks for your reply. The strange thing is, both issues have been with my computer since new, though the hard drive noise has been louder of late. I hope I don't lose my HD, that would be a big problem as I am leaving the country for 5 months next week :-/ I guess I will run into an apple service center this week. I do keep an external 80gb hd that I use to back up my computer weekly, so loss of data isn't a huge issue.

5. mactropy macrumors member

mactropy

Oh, wow! 5 months? I know what you are talking about, I'm often in Germany to do some research and consequently leave the US for a couple of months over the summer break. When I bought my iBook in 2002, I left for the summer with a broken (!) laptop (the old logic board issue) and it was a major pain to get service for it, even though I speak German.

So, it might really be the best thing for you to go and get the HD fixed ASAP. I doubt though that Apple will be able to fix it before you leave. (Unless you take it to an Apple Store) But I know that, depending on where you're going, they will send it to your new address.

Oh, and nice handle b.t.w., just realized that it was German!

Have a great trip!

6. fussball thread starter macrumors regular

Ugh- it figures. It is 1AM sunday morning, I am leaving at 5 am on tuesday and guess what? My HD bites it and the computer won't boot. I'm now running on my external HD, but I kind of need to get this fixed before I go to Sweden. crap. I may just bite the cost and buy a new HD and install it myself. Maybe I can find a service provider in the area that can help on monday. ARRRGGGHH!!

I called apple care about the noises last week and the person said he had never heard of this problem before and if the computer was working, not to worry about it. bah.

7. mactropy macrumors member

mactropy

Oh, man! That's a f---ing bummer. Hopefully you'll get this all settled before you go. Don't fix it yourself, you'll void your warranty. Just contact Apple!
    Have a good time in Sweden!