Al Franken for Senate!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

CNN

What the hell, he should go for it. If he can do to his opponent what he's done to Bill O'Reilly and Ann Coulter....

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Hell they elected Jesse Ventura, so why not a comedian.

B

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i reckon his self-description as a comedian is having a go at people who are ready to dismiss him as one. he's been more of a political commentator for how many years now?

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Has to be more qualified then any professional liar, I mean Politician. Go Al!

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Minnesotans have voted for a wrestler before. I'm sure having a comedian won't be a huge stretch.

He's good enough, he's smart enough, and dog-gone-it, people like him.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I can see the bumper stickers now: Stuart Smalley for Senate.

B

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You mean, somebody who's funny on purpose?

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

if you mean being an inaffectual blow-hard, sure he can do that to his opponent.

That guy couldnt get elected class clown.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

:shrugs: I said the same thing about Shrub way back when...

11. seabass069 macrumors regular

Al Franken is a pretty smart guy. He just needs to stop putting comedy in every sentence. If he were to be a little more serious and stop trying to make jokes about politics he could do a great job. He has great intentions and knows alot about what is going on in the world. He is better than Jesse, and yes I did vote for Jesse. I was pleased with Jesse. I went from paying $160 a year for my cars registration down to $99. Thanks Jesse!! But, that is about all that he did.

12. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I meant exposing them as phonies. But you knew that.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

well it takes a phoney to know a phoney. Franken is a twerp.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh-oh, bad playground language -- somebody is going to get themselves detention!

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Obama's rubber, your glue. Whatever you say bounces off him and sticks to you.

Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah.

There. At least I've elevated the maturity level of the debate a little. :rolleyes:

16. stillwater macrumors regular

Do you have any facts to back your assertion that Al's a phony ?

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

i dont think that applies to calling a public figure a name. Otherwise you'd all be banned for calling bush names every six seconds.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'll put up facts when Mr. Veil does.

Y'know I dont ask for "facts to back your assertion" when you lay out some opinion i think is out-of-touch. But when I do it.. WHOA! state your facts obeygiant.. You might get banned!...blah blah. Al Franken is a comedian! He's only in this for himself. He's not a public servant, not by a long shot.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Show me where I've used playground names to describe Bush. Go ahead, find it.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah yes, using someone else's bad behavior to excuse your own. And here I thought personal responsibility was in vogue these days...

21. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If you're talking about Franken's alleged "phoniness" vs. O'Reilly and Coulter, I commend you to look at Franken's "Lying Liars" book, where he devotes entire chapters to debunking those two.

In O'Reilly's case, it's everything from Bill's claiming to have won two Peabodys for Inside Edition (he didn't), to his assertion that he "started out with nothing" in the working class town of Levittown, Long Island (he actually grew up in affluent nearby Westbury), to his claim of being an independent (even though his voter registration lists him as Republican), to his quoting of various events and statistics on the air, which, when it is pointed out to him that they are wrong, he vigorously denies ever mentioning them, even though it's on tape!

(World's longest sentence. :D Anyway.)

Coulter he lambasts for all kinds of creative lying, including attributing inflammatory quotes to newspapers like the NYT when the paper was actually quoting someone else, and overloading Lexisnexis searches (try throwing together four or five disparate terms into one Google search and see if you get any results).

Now, there've been many claims from people who found "lies" in Franken's own book, but so far as I know, not one of them stands up to careful examination.

Not true of Coulter or O'Reilly, who back up their conservative beliefs with bogus "information" while purporting to be Bringers of Truth.

And that's what a phony is.

So what are your facts?

22. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

And look, may I resolve this childish "name-calling" debate?

Yeah, we've called Bush some terrible, even goofy things...but in the context of making a much bigger argument. If I write a logical, fact-based paragraph or two about Bush violating civil liberties, and conclude by calling him "slime", that's different than you or someone else responding to me with a simple, "Oh yeah? Well Pelosi is a bitch!" In the former case the name is an after-thought to the basic argument. In the latter it's the entire "argument".

23. stillwater macrumors regular

Have you ever listened to his radio show? He spends a lot of time debunking right wing lies and only does a little bit of comedy.

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I guess he's still looking.

25. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil