Al Gore on Iraq and torture

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, May 26, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Al Gore gave a speech before a meeting organized by MoveOn.org. It is all fire and outrage - it is a wonderful speech. It makes me wish he had spoken with the same passion in 2000. Here is a sample:

Here is the whole speech.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i wish he had such a fire in the 2000 election. but i'm glad he's saying this now.

3. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Had he showed that passion. I would have voted for him. He wrote one of the most wonderful pro-life speeches I have ever heard.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I just wish i would have voted for Al instead of the Dubya. Dubya has led us on a goose chase at over 100 billion meanwhile Osama is still roaming around. The policies in place for Iraq was George's doing. He is in charge and scooted the geneva convention along with some of our own rights with Patriot Act. Did he ever stop the millions coming in way of mexico? nope. Lost all my faith in this man and perhaps the Republican party for awhile.

5. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

6. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

No, but I'm sure that this is really all Clinton's fault. I heard somewhere that Rush or Hannity were blaming it all on the loose morals of the Clinton Presidency - the soldiers involved were mostly young kids when they heard about Bill and Monica - so they had to be corrupted by the news! Yep, if you have a consenting adults having oral sex, the next thing you know we have torture in Iraq. Cause and effect. Makes sense to me! :eek:

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Bravo...(I echo the sentiments of sahey and zim)...makes you wonder about the mettle and character of a man, once he is divorced from the horse-and-pony show of modern politics...in relation to the coming election, I believe we have discerned the character of Bush through the PR haze, and Kerry remains to be seen, although he is bound to be superior to Bush, and perhaps superior to many peoples expectations once off the campaign trail...

Not that this has any bearing to probable reality, but might Gore be a potential VP once again (for Kerry)? I, for one, have been very impressed with him since his handling of the 2000 election till now...whether he would be an asset or a liability to Kerry in the minds of most voters, I do not know...and I am not even sure Gore would be interested...

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think you can tell a lot about a man by what he does once he leaves the white house.

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

quite impressive. just another person to say "if only he'd been like this 4 years ago...".

this, along with his early writing on the environment, etc. are the real al gore i hope. whereas the passionless, uninspiring figure from the election year was just a result of the current election system... he wasn't speaking for himself in the speeches then, but rather for the companies backing him. now that he's flying solo, his true, brilliant colors come out

10. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

liability, sorry to say. he was "defined" all too well by rove & co. in 2000.

on the subject of gore's speech- i love it, but unfortunately this kind of spunk gets you nowhere fast in mainstream politics. just ask howard dean.

11. numediaman macrumors 6502a

From our friends at the RNC:

RNC Communications Director Statement on Al Gore’s Comments Today at MoveOn.org Rally

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

202-863-8614

Washington, DC—RNC Communications Director Jim Dyke issued the following statement today in response to a speech by former Vice President Al Gore attacking President Bush.

“Al Gore served as Vice President of this country for eight years. During that time, Osama Bin Laden declared war on the United States five times and terrorists killed US citizens on at least four different occasions including the first bombing of the World Trade Center, the attacks on Khobar Towers, our embassies in East Africa, and the USS Cole.”

“Al Gore’s attacks on the President today demonstrate that he either does not understand the threat of global terror, or he has amnesia​

Yup, Gore's responsible for 9/11, the Iraq War, and tooth decay, as well.

12. screener macrumors newbie

Don't Hurt Me

Glad to see some Republicans are brave enough to
    go against the flow.
    I'd like to know what you saw in Bush that made you
    think he'd be a good President.
    Before the election I heard a lot of Republican "pundints"
    admitting he wasn't the brightest in the party but he
    had a lot of good people around him.
    That worked out well, but I thought in the U.S. you voted
    for the man not the party so much.
    Why would you vote for a guy like Bush?

13. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I take it the louder minority you are talking about aren't the thugs the GOP sent to Florida to stop the recounts? Kindly remember who was the minority in the last Presidential vote.

The trouble with your approach is it ends with no accountability; that is, at least, for those in the Bush administration. You say that blaming Bush for the prison abuse is completely absurd, but you never deal with the specifics of the case. If, as it looks to be true, that the decision to set aside the Geneva convention protections was taken at the highest levels of the White House, who should we hold accountable? The six or seven MPs? I don't think they sat in on that meeting.

This is a President who can't even remember something he did wrong. This while Rome - excuse me - Iraq burns. Harry Truman is rolling over in his grave.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We're in the midst of a debate-transformation campaign, where all criticisms of White House policies and programs are immediately characterized as "attacks," and therefore to be seen as the moral equivalent of the most vile, frightening and untruthful statements made by the right-wing attack dogs. This is how important debates becomes something far more elemental, closer to a propaganda war than open discussion.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Any attack on the president is 'political hate speech' don'tcha know? Whatever the hell THAT is. :rolleyes:

16. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I don't get why people choose to vote for the people they do. What the heck does "passion" have to do with being a good president? Seems to me that someone who is level headed and calm is going to make a better leader than someone who is "passionate."

17. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Being a good leader often means the ability to win people to your view. If folks don't think you believe in what you are saying it makes it very hard to do so. In 2000 the greatest knock the GOP had on Gore was that he wasn't sincere about what he said. A little of this passion would have gone a long way to convince voters that Gore cared for ideas and ideals instead of just getting elected. In short, passion for what is right is a very important part of leading any nation. Not that it is the whole game - there is that thing about being competent.

18. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

as opposed to the ones Gore sent to try to force them to recount only in democratic districts. :confused:

19. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

FYI the geneva convention doesn't apply to those enemy combatants captured while out of uniform.

20. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

While that is true, that is the fault of the people. People should be making informed choices based on factual information and their own personal values. Not on how persuasive someone is.

It doesn't seem a good thing to let everyone know that "I'm going to vote for the person who can persuade me to their view." It makes more sense (to me) to say "I'm going to vote for the person who mostly closely represents me."

21. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Guess that means we can throw human dignity and common sense out the window...

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I believe that there is an additional protocol which ensures that it does.

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well i didn't vote for gore based on the facts. so he would've had to "persuade" me that he was changing his approach... ie, not just being a corporate pawn

he didn't. so i didn't vote for him. that simple

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Speaking of hate speech, Media Matters for America found no less than 12 right-wing commentators over the last couple of days who diagnosed Al Gore with a clinical psychiatric disorder.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200405280001

Apparently the RNC doesn't have any problem finding prominent pundits willing to lip-sync to their talking points.