Al Gore on The Threat to American Democracy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 5, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

jesus, what a smart and eloquent guy. i bet he could speak intelligently on sovereignty.

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I like the post-election night 2000 Al Gore more and more every time I hear from him. It's sad that our political system dumbs our politicians down to the level of thirty second ads that can be sold like cornflakes. When they're free of the fundraising and working to win the next election, some of them can be down right inspiring.

I'm particularly glad to read Gore's reclaiming of the revolutionary generation for the advocates of the Enlightenment they really were. Nowadays, the attempt to reshape our country's history into that of a "Christian Nation" that has strayed from its roots is a sickening and frightening rewrite of the real historical foundations of our revolution. It's good to read Gore's words challenging the fundamentalist revisionists.

While not very enthusiastic about Gore's venture into TV land with Current TV, I'm convinced his criticisms about the degeneration of TV journalism into entertainment and the critical role access to this medium has for our democracy are right on the mark.

Thanks for the post, zim.

3. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Great post Zim, I just got done listening to that very speech. Most heartening political speech I have heard in a long time.

Al Gores speech. Audio.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And some people thought he would be a bad President. What a terrible, awful shame that he isn't. This- coming from me, an independent who never liked him in the first place. He would have been so much better than what we have now- a shameless buffoon.

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Thanks for the audio, it's downloading as I type.

Very good speech. Wish I could force people to hear it. ;)

_Emerson

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think we would be in a much different world had be actually won, and he did win the popular vote, sometimes i hate this country.

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

aghhhh!!!!! i hate bad audio. i can't listen to anything that distorted. why must audio suck so often? <grrrrrrr>

8. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I agree, video would have been even better.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And if only this was the Al Gore we could have gotten to know during the 2000 election, he might have actually won. Well, technically he did, but you know what I mean. I wish I had voted for him. Didn't vote for Bush either, but I know a lot of people who did who would like to take it back.

Think all those who are defending Bush would have defended Gore in the same situations? Me either. Mostly because I doubt he would have done the same stupid things.

10. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

video doesn't help if the audio still sucks.

signed,
    a disgruntled audio guy

seriously, i am an audio guy and this crap just drives me nuts. for the non-audio engineers here, does this stuff bother you? i ask out of professional curiosity.

11. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Jeez, that's an excellent speech. Printing this one out to keep - thanks zim!!

Ah, but I'm foregoing the audio, as I can't stand to listen to bad audio either.

(btw - what is your line of work? i'm terribly interested in the recording arts...)

12. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

The audio was just fine, it served it's purpose.

13. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

OT audio stuff

still technically a hobby, but i've had a home studio for ages and record my band and others. sometimes i do sound design for theater, and soon i'll be part of a project recording live audio for TV broadcast (shhhh! it's a secret!).

if you're into the mashup scene at all, you should know i do all the vocal engineering for this guy's sister, plus i'm involved in this songwriting/recording project.

14. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm more of a "form and function should be balanced" guy. :)

15. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

It has served its purpose, given the surprising lack of media coverage given to such a topical speech.

I am sure parts of it will be dubiously quoted by certain pundits before too long. Perhaps arguments made out of those dubious quotes will appear here before too long.

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I have trouble listening to Al Franken's podcasts because they're so distorted. Especially in the higher frequencies. Which is, ironically, usually represented as being on the right side of the audible range.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow. Al Gore said all that?? :eek: Cool!

It speaks to something that I said at in another thread: that the Democrats need someone to stand up and SAY WHAT NEEDS TO BE SAID.

No one running for office or already in it has the balls to say it. They're too afraid of losing votes. And frankly, I thought Al Gore was too squishy and too involved in his new business ventures to say anything.

But this is a different Al. I agree, if he'd shown this side of himself, instead of playing it safe during the 2000 election, the guy would probably be prez right now.

I hope, I pray, I plead that someone will consistently speak out in this manner. Some time ago, I thought it would be Nader, and although Nader has been consistent, he's also marginalized himself. I thought it might be Howard Dean, but the Democratic leadership wants Dean to keep quiet. Then I thought it might be Bill Moyers, but Moyers has been oddly silent lately.

I just really think that we need someone of notoriety to speak this message loudly and consistently. It might be our last, best hope for keeping this country from going down the sewer.

For 229 years, this country has shown a remarkable knack for self-correction. Right now we face our most dire threat ever: collapse from within. In a word: ROT. I think the people are extremely hungry for someone that stands for principles, someone they can believe in. There is a huge throng of disaffected Americans out there looking for someone to speak for them.

We need a crusader.

I don't know if Al Gore is it. He's a principled man, I'm sure, but he made a very conscious decision to withdraw from politics after the 2000 election. Perhaps, as he says, he's finally had it and can stay silent and inactive no longer.

Of course, being truthful is just part of the solution. We also need people we can vote for. For. With some enthusiasm. Not just what we do now, which is picking the lesser of two evils.

Maybe Al will get back into politics. I'd love to see it happen.

But whatever the outcome: well said, Al. [​IMG]

18. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

The first time I read this thread's title I read it as "Al Gore is threat to american dictionary"... How weird is that? But if that was the case, I suppose it would be Dan Quayle, not Al Gore :p

19. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

nice speech.
    it hurts to think how much better this country (and the rest of the world) would be if only he hadn't been robbed back then...

20. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Precisely why he didn't win. He's simply a politician with no background in the business world (unless you count his creation of the internet) who changes with the political winds to gain voice. This is simply a speech written by those who are measuring what will be best heard now. There is no backbone or intelligence in Al Gore.

Let the attacks (on me) begin...

21. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    :)

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Which is what many here seem to be saying...

And how do you feel about Bush's speeches? I'm listening to him right now giving his anti-terror speech. Would you say it is simply a speech written by those who are measuring what will be best heard right now?

Would you say that there is no backbone or intelligence in George Bush because of this?

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I would.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't know about that.

I do know he listened to bad campaign advice which told him to check the political winds before offering an opinion, instead of being himself. Significantly, his pre-election popularity rose when he stopped trying to play it safe.

25. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

but not "because of this"...