Al Jazeera International chooses Apple Technology

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 19, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

just as a way to start this one off...
    let's keep this thread about broadcast tech instead of politics, please.

3. macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Apple: The brand chosen by terrorist news networks. Yeah!

(The above phrase was a poor attempt at humor. It should not be taken seriously)

4. macrumors regular

What the.....???

Somehow, I don't think this is something we need to be bragging about. :(

5. macrumors regular

I like the way people seem to believe that Al-Jazeera is a front for Al-Qaeda or something. Its actually a serious news channel - just because it brings a different perspective to western media doesn't make it wrong or evil. :rolleyes:

6. macrumors P6

Peace

It is a good thing when any news media company chooses Apple..After all,Apple is the best!

7. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

The second to last paragraph seems like an advert...

8. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Jeez :rolleyes:, get a clue.

9. macrumors 65816

mixel

Hmm.. Think different? :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jazeera_TV

I think people should read about what Al_Jazeera is rather than going by what they're told it is by their own (equally biased) media outlets. It's not a "terrorist news network", or anything of the sort.

I think this isn't a bad thing, they're using a good tool for the job. Apple getting a nice big commission, good for them.

Quoting the Wikipedia article:

* In November 2005, Al Jazeera was awarded by Index on Censorship for its "courage in circumventing censorship and contributing to the free exchange of information in the Arab world."[31]
    * In April 2004, Webby Awards nominated Al Jazeera as one of the five best news Web sites, along with BBC News, National Geographic, RocketNews and The Smoking Gun. According to Tifanny Schlain, the founder of the Webby Awards, this caused a controversy as [other media organisations] "felt it was a risk-taking site,".[32]
    * In December 1999, Ibn Rushd (Averoes) Fund for Freedom of Thought in Berlin awarded the "Ibn Rushd Award" for media and journalism for the year to Al Jazeera.[33]

10. macrumors regular

This is great, a new channel strongly financially backed using an Apple solution.
    So when their output creates envy amongst the media generally Apple benefits.

I like the opportunity for a different perspective on world news, that I can consume alongside other media if i choose; but I'll probably get flamed for that. Nevertheless at least the content will look and sound great.

11. macrumors 6502a

I find Al-Jazeera a better channel for news than ABC and CNN. If I want the ME news then I directly go to Al-Jazeera channel, never CNN, but I hardly watch or read news anyway.

12. macrumors member

Yes, al-jazeera is actually a quality news channel, broadcasting serious journalism, which is more than you can say for FOX, MSNBC, ABC and the like... I only wish their new English satellite channel were available through the cable networks in the U.S.

13. macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

That's an odd statement. If someone is too lazy and/or ignorant to figure out what Al Jazeera is, then they should be ridiculed and ostracized. "The Google" is right there next to your address bar, so use it. Otherwise, be prepared to have the informed and educated take it to you.

14. macrumors 6502a

mrsebastian

oh come on people. it's a [bleepin] news agency like any other in the world. they report whatever [bleep] is going on. somebody drives a car bomb into a cafe to make a political statement and they are gonna report it. how is that any worse than cnn, fox, msnbc, or your local news station?

i'm watching the simpsons with my son and every commercial break we get to see, "police officer survives point blank shot to the head. details at 11 on fox news.", with nice grainy footage of some guy unloading his gun into a cop and you can see the discharge and his head fly back ("back and to the left"). perhaps the ps3 riot is better material, or paris hilton caught on tape driving drunk, but no arrests were made.

of course there are still weapons of mass destruction, voting actually makes a difference, global warming is just a political platform, second hand smoke kills everybody, you must buy and drink eight portions of water a day, subway is a healthy diet, religion is benevolent, 1000 years ago the world was created in seven days, we need bigger and bigger suvs, he who dies with the most toys wins, your innocent till proven guilty, drugs are bad hmmkay, cops don't have quotas, sex is the root of all evil, you need a 12" cock, you need fake tits, psychics don't do it for the money, all myspacers are 50 year old pedophiles, you will die without a cell phone, history books are 100% true, you need a $50,000 education to make it, the customer is always right, and of course the ends always justifies the means.

15. mvc
    macrumors 6502a

mvc

...and your point is ;-)

16. macrumors 603

Markleshark

hmmm... :rolleyes: Good to see you all listened to Madbug there, eh.

However, mrsebastian, much long than 1000 years ago, We're 2006 years into his second go at it...

17. macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Like this, one quick glance by a Mod is enough to tell there going to trouble with this one!

Anyway, Al Jazeera are a buisnes like any other, and must have arrived at its decision to usee Apple hardware and software on its periatinal and finacial merits.

So, and this is the real biggie:

WHO CAN SPOT THE 1ST iMAC IN THE BACKGROUND THEN?!

;)

18. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's a translated press release from Arab Business Machine.

19. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

Good to know that Apple is seen as a viable solution for the intense environment of a 24 hour news channel. Hopefully the glowing apples will be seen by the cameras too. Great publicity for Apple. I wonder if the non-English version of Al Jazeera use Macs too?

20. macrumors Core

Dagless

21. macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

It's also good to see as there has always been discussion about versions of OSX which cater to those who work right to left, such as Hebrew or Arabic. Even if this is the English version of the station and they could very well be using it in English form, it's an encouraging sign and hopefully this will spur Apple on to develop further and other Arabs to follow suit and switch.

22. macrumors G3

puckhead193

23. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

HAHA If this forum had a user rep system you would totally get a point for that!

24. macrumors 6502

That's one to keep off the "see who's using our products" list. Poor Apple.

25. macrumors 6502

Not anyone in America. No satellite or cable operator in the US is adding Al Jazeera to their line up.