Al PowerBook 15": difference between 1 GB and 1.5 GB RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Argelius, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2005
    I am getting ready to purchase more RAM for my brand, spanking new PowerBook 15".

What's the practical difference between adding 512 (for a total of 1 GB) and 1G (for a total of 1.5 GB)?.

Other than digital photo editing, word processing, surfing, etc. I won't be doing anything hugely graphics intensive. (No games, movie-making, or powering large external monitors).

I'm guessing 1 GB Ram would be plenty. But should I justt go buy a 1GB chip now?
  2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    1GB is fine for you-you might not even see that much of a difference between 512mb and 1gb given what you do

save the money and buy something else-maybe a bluetooth mouse or a pair of speakers or something
  3. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005

Why on earth did you even bother to buy a powerbook if this is all you plan on doing a stock ibook 14inch would have served you fine at half the price :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
  4. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

May 13, 2005
    Because it's sexy and more future proof, probably. Those would be my reasons.
  5. SRSound macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2005
    on this same topic, would I see a considerable difference between 1.25GB and 2GB RAM in a PB? (That would be in a 12" vs. 15" both with maxed out ram)
  6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Depends what you wanna do with the PowerBook. For most users, the answer would be a pretty resounding no. :)
  7. itsbetteronamac macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2003
    well.... I would definatly put at least 1gb in new powerbook. I used to have a mac running the same stuff with 512, and you can definatly tell the difference. But, unless you are working with HUGE files or are a intensive photoshoper... the difference between 1gb and 1.5gb is very slight.
  8. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004
    I decided to go for 1.5 gb RAM in more powerbook with an eye towards the future. My last powerbook (667mhz titanium) had 512MB which seemed a lot at the time, but it was pants running Tiger with all the widgets and stuff.
    I just figure if you want the powerbook to last you for a while give it some extra RAM. 1GB is nice, but I'd say go for 1.5 if you can afford it!
  9. kbonnel macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2004
    In a nice place..
    I have 1.5GB on my powerbook, and I notice tiger likes to use more of it than Panther did. But it is unix, so most of it is in cache and the such. I think 1GB sticks would be better future proof than 512 sticks, that is another way of looking at it.