Al PowerBook 15": difference between 1 GB and 1.5 GB RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Argelius, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

I am getting ready to purchase more RAM for my brand, spanking new PowerBook 15".

What's the practical difference between adding 512 (for a total of 1 GB) and 1G (for a total of 1.5 GB)?.

Other than digital photo editing, word processing, surfing, etc. I won't be doing anything hugely graphics intensive. (No games, movie-making, or powering large external monitors).

I'm guessing 1 GB Ram would be plenty. But should I justt go buy a 1GB chip now?

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

1GB is fine for you-you might not even see that much of a difference between 512mb and 1gb given what you do

save the money and buy something else-maybe a bluetooth mouse or a pair of speakers or something

3. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

YYYYYYYYYYY??????

Why on earth did you even bother to buy a powerbook if this is all you plan on doing a stock ibook 14inch would have served you fine at half the price :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

4. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

Because it's sexy and more future proof, probably. Those would be my reasons.

5. SRSound macrumors 6502

on this same topic, would I see a considerable difference between 1.25GB and 2GB RAM in a PB? (That would be in a 12" vs. 15" both with maxed out ram)

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Depends what you wanna do with the PowerBook. For most users, the answer would be a pretty resounding no. :)

7. itsbetteronamac macrumors regular

well.... I would definatly put at least 1gb in new powerbook. I used to have a mac running the same stuff with 512, and you can definatly tell the difference. But, unless you are working with HUGE files or are a intensive photoshoper... the difference between 1gb and 1.5gb is very slight.

8. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I decided to go for 1.5 gb RAM in more powerbook with an eye towards the future. My last powerbook (667mhz titanium) had 512MB which seemed a lot at the time, but it was pants running Tiger with all the widgets and stuff.
    I just figure if you want the powerbook to last you for a while give it some extra RAM. 1GB is nice, but I'd say go for 1.5 if you can afford it!

9. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I have 1.5GB on my powerbook, and I notice tiger likes to use more of it than Panther did. But it is unix, so most of it is in cache and the such. I think 1GB sticks would be better future proof than 512 sticks, that is another way of looking at it.

Kimo