Al Qaeda claims to have suitcase nukes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pseudobrit, Mar 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

link

Bush's "tough" stance on terror is going to look pretty stupid if it ends up getting us nuked. Then again, I think it'd be the best thing to ever happen to his Presidency. Up to this point, 9/11 gave them carte blanche and they appeared very enthusiastic and unabashed about taking advantage of it to acheive their own unrelated goals (namely Iraq and the PATRIOT acts).

Who was it on here that said national security was the most important issue to them because nothing else matters if you're dead? Does Bush's unilateral "**** the world" attitude just put us at high risk for nuclear attack? How many more people would be willing to fund the purchase of such devices after we've "proved" al Qaeda's case for them: that we're hegemonists bent on overtaking the Muslim world?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The thing about "suitcase bombs" is that they don't even have to be targeted: one person leaving one anywhere in or even near a metropolitan area would finish the economy of any country. Bush has in effect mobilised an enormous army of willing martyrs who might pull this off. He has declared war on many fronts without putting America on a war footing (because he seems to think this "war" is a one-way street: nobody would DARE attack America again). Surely this is the height of irresponsibility. He has put the entire country (as has Bliar here, and Aznar in Spain) at incalculable risk for the sake of political dogma. Compared to what might happen next, 9/11 was a light aperitif. Less than 3,000 US civilians killed, two nations get bombed to blazes. Imagine what would happen if it was the other way round! Afghanistan, Iraq, N Korea, N Vietnam, Central and S America - how many more civilians has the US killed in these places? Not to mention the 300,000-plus in the Philippines, and God knows how many killed by US proxies. There's a whole lotta people with reason enough to hate the US. You can't bomb them all.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

can't fight entropy w/ more entropy. gotta put energy into reducing the chaos. i wish bush had taken a physics class along the way...

4. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Bush in a physics class . . . ah, the images.

Professor: Welcome back. Today I would like to talk about the Transactional Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics . . .

Bush: excuse me professor, when do we get to talk about Adam and Eve?

Professor: It may seem surprising that the interpretation of a physical theory can perform the function of avoiding "paradoxes", i.e., internal contradictions and conflicts with other established theories. It is therefore useful to consider some examples. Newton's second law, F=ma, is of no physical significance until the symbol F is identified as a vector representing force . . .

Bush: ah, excuse me, but is there any way I can get a deferment? I need to go to Alabama to help with an election campaign. Can you just give me an A, and we'll be done with it?

5. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

That was me... maybe you can tell me how much happier you'll be after your taxes are lowered and you're in the ground :p

6. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i'm pretty skeptical of the suitcase bomb claim...though i don't doubt their desire to purchase one. they make it sound as easy as buying a hot watch....which it's obviously not. just take 30 million to asia and ask the local cabbie where the bomb district is...ntm, how would you know you're buying a real functional nuclear weapon? i'm certainly no expert but i'd say the odds are miniscule that they've got a nuke...at least right now.

the other issue is that al-quida doesn't threaten or boast before they act...they just do it. i always feel much more secure when they're talking of black plague and nuclear bombs. it's the eerie silence i find uncomfortable.

7. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

And there went the point of this thread right over your head.

Maybe you can tell me how much safer you'll feel after we've bombed Iraq and you're glow-in-the-dark.

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i case you don't know:
    russian is missing (a lot) nuclear weapons including ...big surprise:
    SUITCASE BOMBS ;) and if you know _how_ many are missing you would me a lot more concerned: up to 100 Suitcase bombs

http://www.acronym.org.uk/dd/dd19/19nukes.htm
    but that is 'old news' from 1997

a few years ago some austrian reporters (im co-operationwith police) tried to get their hands on nuclear plutonium,uran etc. in east-europe,russia, in 10 cases they got some minor radiating parts, in 2-3 cases there were plutionium,uran which could have been used for weapons (not enough kilos but still) and in one case they got surprised by a full functional atomic warhead stolen from a russian tactical missile.... in all cases they police was called afterwards

and all that in a few months...
    if some reporters can get nuclear weapons...i doubt it is difficult for somebody in the middle east

9. wwworry macrumors regular

We could have done a really good job in Afghanistan and maybe put off Iraq for a while. Instead they ignore Afghanistan (even forgetting to fund it last year) the taliban regains strength and the world sees the US as just interested in blood feuds and oil. Terrorism grows.

This administration is stupid.

10. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

So, it is the Bush administration's fault for "doing nothing" before 9/11, and it is the Bush administration's fault for doing something after 9/11.

We were attacked before without any overt provocating act. Now some are complaining that we might be attacked again -- seems it doesn't matter what we do, unless it's acquiesce to terrorism. That is unacceptable.

Such a strike on the U.S. would demand a like response, or else we invite another. Hopefully any evil-doers realize this, and care.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Repeat after me: THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO SODDING CONNECTION BETWEEN IRAQ AND AL QAEDA.

Sheesh. :mad:

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Amazing. Just amazing. I'm speechless. :eek:
    Your President is without precedent.

13. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Afghanistan seems to have fallen off everyone's map...

I too am troubled about Iraq. Guess I should've specified.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I've just looked it up in my atlas: it's still there. Bush probably lost the page. Shortly after he lost the plot. Attention-span of a fruit-fly.

15. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Uh...

In case you missed it, genius, I was only answering his question :mad:

Yea, Iraq really scares me after being threatened by the Soviet Union for over 40 years :rolleyes:

16. coopdog macrumors 6502a

I really love how people think hands down there is no threat, there is no connection, there are no bombs, ect. Well I guess your right after seeing all the classified information and all. /Sarcasm.

I also doubt a they have a nuclear bomb. But at the same time you need to keep and open mind. Personaly if I had a nuclear bomb under my bed or knew someone who did I would not be able to keep my mouth shut. It's a pretty hard thing to keep under wraps

17. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

And there went that point again, right overhead. I guess that's why you roll your eyes so much.

18. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's the administration's fault for doing nothing before 9/11 and for doing something totally unrelated after 9/11.

FDR didn't announce he'd invade Brasil after Pearl Harbor.

19. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Man, you are just to cleaver :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I guess the rules are that you adhere to the title of the thread rather than answer a direct question :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have an idea, why don't you take a break from your keyboard :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. richland macrumors member

Im so tired of these religious bastards. I hope each one of these morons and thier offspring kill themselves by accidently setting one of those bombs off.

Damn unevolved desert monkeys.

21. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Note to MR members, this is what you do if you want to get immediately banned from the site.

This thread is now closed, since it's devolved into personal attacks and racist remarks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.