al-Qaeda threatens the U.S. with "Black Death"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Okay, this is scary.

Which is the point, of course. I sure hope this is b.s., but it sounds to me like a biological weapon. :eek:

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

But has it really been Al-Qaeda's MO to threaten before they strike?

Lethal

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

is the black death like small pox where there are like 2 isolated locations of the virus, or is this a new virus and they just happen to call it the black death.

iJon

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Black Death is the "street name" for anthrax. It is rather unlikely that they could deploy it as an effective weapon. Most likely it is a code name for something else. What a bunch of a-holes.

I wonder if the UN made concessions to muslim fundamentalists if they would chill out. Isreal was made for jews... maybe a country where these guys could live in blissful isolation would make them happy? Probably not.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

oh, i thought they were referring to the black death from back in the european days.

iJon

6. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

iJon's right :)

When one refers to Black Death, one usually means bubonic plague, which killed millions of Europeans in the middle ages.

7. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Anthrax is Bacillus anthracis, the black death (aka Plague) is a different bug. It's Yersinia pestis. There are different manifestations of the plague - bubonic, pneumonic and septicemic. All respond to early treatment with antibiotics but in still in the worst version (pneumonic) the fatality rate is 20-60% with treatment...it's almost 100% without.

Good reference here

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Anthrax also responds to antibiotics. There is a treatment regime that involves penicillin. Anthrax has been around for a long time. As a kid the joke was you got it from shagging sheep.(A actual way to get cutaneous anthrax actually)

9. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Indeed it does...ciprofloxacin.

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But it could be anything - it doesn't have to be biological either.

This is just not right.... their willingness to continue human pain and suffering is quite sad. I really wish there was a simple solution to all of this.

D :(

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Blow up the planet? Simple. Effective. Maybe a bit extreme though. ;)

Lethal

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

It makes one wonder what the mentality is to continue this b.s.

13. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, now I really don't know what to make of that story.

Nobody else in the media seems to have picked up on it. I'm not paranoid enough to suggest that the government is suppressing it to avoid a panic...but if that's so, does this mean that nobody else has been able to confirm the story? Are they sitting on it because they're unsure of its authenticity?

As far as the weapon involved, heck, it could be almost anything, really. A "dirty nuke" would create a cloud of radiation that could drift over a region. You could call that "Black Death".

It very well could be bubonic plague, though. Check out this article:

14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    The plague is still endemic to much of europe and north africa, as well as parts of the US. Lots of other places I am sure as well.

I just find it hard to respect a bacteria that responds to penicillin. :)

If they gets their hands on some MRSA give me a call. Plague is just so punk-a$$ 15th century. :)

15. jasylonian macrumors regular

So is Al-Qaeda... Maybe they'll figure out the physics behind spectacles someday.

16. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

And this, my friends, is why we need a president strong on national security.

The government is looking into these threats to determine whether or not they are real or not. Right now, I think they're trying to confirm who committed these attacks, whether it was al qaeda, or some other terrorist group trying to frame al qaeda. If these threats are true, and our intelligence suggests that they might plan to carry out an attack on the US, then you'll see the terror threat raised.

These attacks on Spain just go to show that terrorism is still a problem that has to be dealt with now, before more innocent people are killed.

17. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Don't worry, Scott. The UN will protect us.

18. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Sadly terrorism existed well before the population of the US discovered it in 2001. For example ETA and the IRA have been blowing people up for decades - in the case of the IRA donations by individual Americans helped it to happen. In other cases the American government has funded terrorists when it suited them so, at least for me, this global 'war on terror' by the US government is somewhat ironic to say the least.

I just hope it's more successful than that 'war on drugs' you had....

19. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Yes, a President besides Bush.

Bush has managed to cut the budget for police, fire, and emergency medical in the entire coutry. He has cut the pay of our soldiers in uniform. He has failed to come through with funds for the Dept. of Homeland Security. He continues to support a desperately inept CIA chief, and he royally pi**ed off the Arab world and al Queda by attacking and occupying Iraq in a war predicated on lies.

Sheesh... :rolleyes:

20. zamyatin macrumors regular

A biological attack against any country would almost certainly affect the entire world. Because of a vast inequality in technology and health care available, however, it would be its very most destructive in the developing world (just like HIV, or other major diseases).

So, if AQ launched such a thing, their own countries of convenience, their own followers and allies, etc, would be devastated while the West would be comparatively less impacted. It would be like a suicide bombing, except the entire culture launching the attack would be committing suicide. They don't mind sacrificing individuals to support their groups, but I do not think they are so stupid as to do this. Insane, yes, but not stupid.

21. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Probably. They certainly understand the physics of flying 20th century planes into 20th century buildings.

22. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Police and fire protection services are local entities.

Military pay has not been cut.

Homeland Security has been handed tons of responsibility and tons of money, over liberal objections.

You're right, he should fire Bill Clinton's CIA chief.

And, oh, sorry for making a bunch of terrorists "angry."

There's plenty to honorably disagree over. No need to misstate the facts.

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I smell Rush (and I'm not talking about the band).

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Which are required under federal law to staff at higher levels every time there's an 'orange alert'. That money is not repaid by the feds, it comes out of the state/county/city's general fund putting a huge strain on local governments at a time when they are hurting financially.

But veterans benefits are...
    Link

Ok, so our airports are a little safer. Are our ports? Our food/water supply? How are our first responders feeling?

Can't move past Bill Clinton can we? However, Bush can't fire Tenet now, it'll look like a hatchet job to keep him quiet. Plus, firing Tenet now would guarantee that he makes Dubya sorry. If he wanted to fire Tenet he should have done it just after the war and painted him as the disgruntled former employee like they did to Paul O'Neil.

Don't be sorry. Do something about it. Or make sure your elected representatives do. If we, in the process of eliminating the current crop of terrorists, manage to create even more of them what does that do for us? If we wipe out the top al Qaeda leadership but create the terrorists that fill their places are we winning the war on terror?

Agreed. Particulary on the last part.

25. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Yes, but the Federal Gov't has cut a lot of state aid due to the rising deficit. Many states are laying off police, fire etc. because they simply can't afford it.

Actually, it has. I have multiple family members in the service. Maybe not their direct "paycheck" per se, but their benefits have. Most notably their family benefits.

Uhm....no, it hasn't been handed sufficient funds. Do your homework. And this does tie directly in to the first statement I made.

Not even worth addressing.

I thought the idea was to make us "safer", not make us more of a target. Call me "crazy", but I don't think lying to the entire planet, and occupying a predominantly Muslim country in a war based on those lies is winning us any friends. Here's my Question. Where's bin Laden? Is he in Iraq? I think not.

I didn't. But thanks.