Al-Qaeda wants to go "legitimate". Isn't that special?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Reuters link

Obviously somebody's been taking a cue from Hezbollah.

And things continue to spiral more and more out of control. :(
  2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    yeah, between hezbollah and hamas, the terrorists turned politicians have been in the news quite a bit lately.

when will we start seeing ads that end with "i am osama bin laden, and i approve this message"?
  3. beatsme macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2005
    may not be such a bad idea. I'd rather deal with Sinn Fein than the IRA.
  4. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I say we let Saddam go, and let him rule with an iron fist again and put these people in their places.

Legitimate. Give me a friggin break.
  5. beatsme macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2005
    why we ever wanted to be rid of him is beyond me. So we can put in an American-friendly regime? That worked out so well in Iran, Nicaragua, Vietnam, et. al. Who cares if the guy was an @sshole? He was a known entity (and the devil you know beats the devil you don't) who lent political stability to the region. WMD's? No. Harboring terrorists? No...or no more than any other country in the Middle East, and certainly fewer than our partners in peace, Saudi Arabia.

I'm quite tempted to rant about the foolishness of trying to export democracy, but I won't...
  6. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    That's what got us into trouble in the first place. Who do you think helped originally put Saddam into power? [​IMG]
  7. beatsme macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2005
    no duh

it was a rhetorical question, as my reference to the failures of Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, Somoza Debayle, and Nguyen Van Thieu should have illustrated...

as for the US putting Saddam in power, not quite true. He had been a major player on the Iraqi political scene since the late 1960's. Re: the photograph, the US supported Iraqi belligerence in the 1980's as a means of harassing Iran, which at the time was heavily theocratic. Many think (myself included) that the Iran/Iraq war helped keep the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan more or less in check, as the Soviets had no wish to start a more general war in the Middle East. To be succinct: we did business with Saddam (the enemy of my enemy is my friend), but we did not orchestrate his ascension to power, nor did we prop up his regime.