al Queada link found in Iraq per CNN

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Backtothemac, Apr 26, 2003.

1. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/04/26/sprj.irq.britain.iraq.ap/index.html

Very interesting to say the least. What do you guys think about it? I am not wanting to debate whether the war was just or crap like that. Lets just have a good conversation about what was found, and the possible like to 9/11 especially after we know that the ringleader of 9/11 met with Iraqi intel twice.

Furthermore, what is your take on the French part of the article. That is really, really damning towards the French government don't you think?

2. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

hmm, interesting. I'd say the most interesting is the stuff about france. The al Qaeda link is 5 years old, and frankly, not that strong. One envoy came to Iraq once... that's not saying much. Of course, this could be the start of a much bigger trail of evidence. But based on what was found here, I don't see a huge al Qaeda-Iraq conspiracy. This seems more like there were feelers put out, but if there is conclusive proof of a stronger link, it's not here.

Now the france link... that's awfully bad. Wow, that's gonna put a crimp in US-French relations.

3. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

hm... intresting if true... BUT
    No iraq officals you say?

Anyway france and iraq have diplomatic ties for Iraqi oil, so does germany and russia, of coarse they talk.

Tell me 'who' meet or talked to these al Queda people?

We could say the U.S has ties to al Queda per-say using this definition. The U.S had al Queda members in its country before 9/11... so it is a foggy definition.

4. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, one would have to assume that there was at least information passed between the two. We do know that Atta met with Iraqi intel officers twice prior to 9/11.

I think it is pretty damning evidence that could even swell. If not, then it doesn't. Still it shows the potential threat that was there.

5. macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I love it. You people are like "SHOW ME THE PROOF!!!" When something comes around you say "Well... uh... um.... it's not enough... WE WANT MORE!!!" Someone from France was leaking information to Iraq, and again that's not enough. There are obviously names on the document but that doesn't mean YOU need to know them.

6. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Next we can go after Saudia Arabia because Osma, um, was born there.

Look if there is more evidence, nice, we acually found a link, if not, then we really have nothing more than some iraqi's meeting a terriost group.

7. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm taking this with a grain of salt until there is some corroboration and certification of the find.

FYI, The Sunday Telegraph appears to be owned by Robert Murdoch.

8. macrumors 68000

lmalave

You mean the daily Torygraph? Yeah, they also broke that story about a Labour Party MP being on Saddam's payroll. Hmmm, strange that the Telegraph keeps beating 1000's of other journalists all over the world to the biggest scoops of the whole war so far. I don't buy it.

The Times story about France, now that's juicy. So that makes both Russia and France that were sharing intelligence with Saddam. More evidence that France and the U.S. are becoming more strategic rivals than they are allies. Can NATO really hold together in the face of evidence like this? Or are we seeing a major global reordering?

9. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I see C&C: Generals plot in the works, with Europe of coarse. (if you know the plot, you know what I mean)

I sure hope nothing *major* is gonna happen.

10. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Bush has connections with terrorists too. The family that funneled money directly to Atta were guests at his ranch after 9/11.

11. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Come on, that is a little extreme don't you think? I understand the tounge in cheek statement, but there is a difference between hosting a foriegn official and having your intel service contact a terror organization.

As for the paper, I agree with Rower, it is a grain of salt. I was impressed though to cnn run the story, and Fox did not. That was suprising. Still, if it is the tip of a mountain, there could be serious problems for France in the eye of the world community.

12. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I don't believe anything that comes out of the Trio of Mediawhores that are the cablenews cabal without another independent source. Of about a dozen sites I just checked, the only one echoing this story is the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette, who pasted up an AP reflection of the TS-ST story.

Hmm...

13. macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I hope that you don't think that this one document alone is enough to convict. It is not enough. Who meet with who? The Iraqi Intel department... I bet it was pretty big. Did Sadaam know everything that was going on in it, no he could not, no one person could. GWB's dad supported both Osama and Sadaam back when he was in the U.S. Intelligence. When it was convienient to have a third party or two against Soviet Russia and Iran. We will never find out who long these connections are active, just like we won't find out who killed Kennedy.

14. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Never a truer statement. It still will not lead us to Osma.

psssst, it was the CIA who killed him.

15. macrumors 68000

funny

There are so many credible connections with terrorism and Pakistan, and terrorism and Saudi Arabia, that one would think that these countries would have been obvious places to look for terrorists. It would be hard to imagine, especially lately, that said Taliban/Al Queda weren't merely pushed out of Afghanistan into Pakistan, during the sustained military action. (I especially appreciate the story related to a journalist then in Afghanistan by U.S. special forces personnel regarding an air corridor left open by the US for a few days to allow Pakistans intelligence service members to escape destruction. Needless to say, it became evident that Al Quaeda got out too. An interview with the journalist is available on NPR's site).

There hasn't been ANY credible evidence of Iraqi involvement in 9/11, (fifteen of the nineteen were Saudis after all) yet it is obvious to me that Saudi Arabia has been let off due to Bush Junior/Senior financial/political connections. Moreover, having James Baker represent Saudi Arabia in the 9/11 victims suit is the height of hypocrisy, especially as the Bush administration has gone to extraordinary lengths to derail the independent commission investigating 9/11.

Bill Maher said it best. "...like looking for the car keys that you lost in the garage in the living room because the light is better there"

16. macrumors 65816

billyboy

17. macrumors regular

clarification

The (Sunday) Times is owned by News International, part of the Murdoch empire. The Daily and Sunday Telegraph (or Torygraph as is widely known in the UK: Tory referring to the Conservative Party party in the UK) is owned by Canadian mogul Conrad Black. The link above is for the Australian Daily Telegraph. The CNN story referred to, here, is posted from London, UK where the 'Telegraph' title is under different, although poltically similar, hands.

I can confirm that it was the Telegraph that reported the Scottish MP, George Galloway, "took payments," if you choose to believe this kind of thing.

- p

18. Guest

caveman_uk

Donald Rumsfeld met Saddam Hussein in the 80's so does that make Saddam an American? Yeah about as much as meeting one of Bin Ladens mob in 1998 makes Saddam an islamic terrorist. As much as Saddam Husseins rule was despotic and brutal it was a secular government. Something which separated it from the other governments in the Middle East (quite a few other governments there share the despotic and brutal characteristics). The only thing Bin Laden and Saddam had in common was they both hated America. If you want to spot the real backers of Islamic terrorism try looking at Saudi Arabia.

19. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

you forgot that both saddam and bin laden are both Islamic.

20. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

I love it. You people are like "SHOW ME THE PROOF!!!" When something comes around you say "Well... uh... um.... it's not enough... WE WANT MORE!!!"

Absolutely right. I want more.
    White-out? Why not just burn it?
    I've been burned too many times, like Chile and Argentina and even, yes, Iraq, that I don't believe much of anything any more that the government says. But that's my problem... but white-out? The search for truth never ends, hence my signature.

21. macrumors 601

zimv20

are you referring to the prague meeting? that was never substantiated.

from the CNN article:
    if true, that's damning (though the devil is in the details). i'll be interested to see how this is played out. if it's never mentioned again, then i'll assume it's fabricated.

22. Guest

caveman_uk

Well that's me convinced :rolleyes:

23. macrumors 601

zimv20

how about this? from this yahoo article

24. macrumors member

do you know what made me laugh. The journalist who found the documents, was interviewed and he said that he scraped tip-ex off and bin laden was written below.........duh.......i wasnt born yday. If the Iraqis went through the trouble of tip-exing bin laden from all the documents, why not do it with something more permanent like with a marker or scribbling or just burn the documents.

What use would tip-ex documents be to a government! dont try and insult their intelligence, they did run Iraq for a decade , this is a plea to the media.....i know u want to get a good story but please dont insult the publics intelligence!

25. macrumors member

islamic..........shut up!! people who follow the Islamic faith are called MUSLIM...Duh!

And how was Saddam the same as Osama ? Saddam oppressed his people so they cant practice their religion properly (not very Islamic), and Osama wants a perfectly Islamic state......if they were friends not very good ones!