Aladdin Systems is now Allume Systems

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by Doctor Q, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Aladdin Systems, maker of StuffIt , one of the most-used Mac applications ever, changed its name to Allume Systems last month.

The long-standing www.aladdinsys.com web site is now redirected to www.allume.com. They still have the magic lamp logo and refer to themselves on the web and in e-mail as "Allume Systems (formerly Aladdin Systems)".

They changed in order to settle legal disagreements with Aladdin Knowledge Systems (www.ealaddin.com or www.aladdin.de), maker of dongles and other security products. I happen to use products of both companies, and I sometimes went to one web site when I meant the other. There was probably longstanding confusion between the companies (and maybe also with Aladdin Enterprises (www.aladdin.com/index2.html), the original maker of Ghostscript).

Aladdin Systems must have had little choice but to make this change, because they are sacrificing a huge amount of name recognition.

I wonder why they picked "Allume" as their new name. And why not call themselves StuffIt after their most famous product, since they already have www.stuffit.com?

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Ahh, I don't know if 'StuffIt' would be such a good company name. Though come to think of it, 'Allume' isn't much better :rolleyes:

3. narco macrumors 65816

narco

Good. Aladdin reminds me of all the early Mac OS's like 8.5 and 9 for some reason. They definitely needed an update.

.narco

4. haiggy macrumors 65816

It has been like this for a very long time now.

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

A few years ago, a US law went though that makes it easier to sue for trademark dilution (which is when a "famous" trademark holder feels that its image is threatened by another product or business using the same name, even if there is no product overlap). "Stuffit" and close variations are in use out there for other things, so the name isn't as string as it might be.

Made-up words like Allume are easier to protect exactly because they're made up; it pretty much eliminates the "common words" defense and it's a lot less likely that someone else will have invented the same word.

The other part of the story is that Aladdin were initially fighting to keep the name, but after they were bought by IMSI, the new parent company didn't want the legal expenses.

6. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The continuing saga...

Allume has been acquired by Smith Micro Software.

Press release:
    I suppose the Aladdin software -- StuffIt, Internet Cleanup, Spring Cleaning, etc. -- will stay the same, but with yet another new owner.

7. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

More about it here.

Smith Micro makes FAXstf X (fax software) and QuickLink Mobile (wireless connectivity software) and was interested in Allume because of their newly developed compression software.

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Sounds like an interesting compression technology. I ordered the white paper so I'll post if there's anything interesting. At first, I thought it was a "new and improved" JPEG, but it's just a way of compressing the JPEG images into a .sit file. Still interesting, but not quite as much so.

9. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The bulk e-mail they sent today about the latest version of Internet Cleanup is signed
    Jonathan Kahn
    President
    Allume Systems​
    with no mention of the new owner. Perhaps Jonathan Kahn simply hasn't read his newspaper yet today.