Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

memphismac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
I'll keep it simple:
I've got 942 albums in my library. Does this new album artwork feature download one image for Album X and share it with all the songs on Album X? Or will that file be duplicated (thus taking up more drive space) for each song.

I'm dying to download iTunes 7, but I also don't want to fill up my iPod with oodles of KB (or MB) of artwork.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
memphismac said:
I'll keep it simple:
I've got 942 albums in my library. Does this new album artwork feature download one image for Album X and share it with all the songs on Album X? Or will that file be duplicated (thus taking up more drive space) for each song.
Duplicated... each song file has the image embedded... use (web) optimized jpeg for alums with multiple somgs, if possible, that way you should get decent album art at a reasonable size...

memphismac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Duplicated... each song file has the image embedded... use (web) optimized jpeg for alums with multiple somgs, if possible, that way you should get decent album art at a reasonable size...

Anybody know if the Apple artwork that can be download is optimized for web, or is it more for printing purposes?
(most of my music is ripped from my CDs)

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Wow that's nuts.... 400k! Is there an app (or AppleScript) to resize the art? I'd be happy with something nano screen resolution, even for on my computer. I wouldn't want an extra 400k or even 200k per song on my nano (which already fairly limited in storage space)!

memphismac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
8000 songs x let's say 200kb for album art. If my math is right, that's 1.6GB of album art. Yuck.

For those who have already downloaded iTunes 7, Is the album art download feature something you can turn off/on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.