Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jamesmcd, Sep 14, 2006.

1. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2006
    Wellington, New Zealand
    I have to ask the question: where does enjoyment end and alcoholism begin...

For quite some time now I have been enjoying, shall we say, a fair bit of the stronger stuff. I hardly go to parties or other social events where drinking is involved, I mostly drink on my own in the evening. I am sure that if I felt like it, I could very easily stop, i.e. I don't think I am addicted, but I really like it. :rolleyes: (I know how that sounds).

My worst week was probably 2 bottles of 42 Bellow (NZ vodka).

As I am posting this thread I have decided to test my level of 'enjoyment' by not drinking for 2 weeks. That should be a good indication. I think it will be fine, but who knows.
  2. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    I think if you can't make it through a day without having alcohol then you have a problem.

I did go through a few weeks last year where I was drinking 3 pints of Long Island Iced Tea a night (totalling 18-20 shots of spirit a night). When the various spirits needed ran out I drank every bit of booze in the house, beer wine and whiskies.

I managed to cut that down to a few bottles of beer a night for a few months, now I'm back to normal (a few beers a week).
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I drink a lot both as part of my job and with friends, but I have a rule that I never drink alone. Try to only ever drink with friends. :)
  4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I think the best test of an addiction is consequences. every addict can quit tomorrow ... but are you missing out on something, like did you have a date and then drink and get drunk and stand the person up. Or did you forget to visit your parents because you were to hungover. These are very very generic answers but if there are consequences then its probably alcoholism and you may need some help if you're not personally strong enough to give it up, and thats ok.
  5. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2004
    ct, us
    This seems like a good test. Keep doing what you're doing--try laying off the stuff for a couple weeks. If your drinking if adversely effecting your life, and you still continue to do it, then you may have a problem.
  6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I would say the best test of an addiction is proving that you can stop tomorrow. Just stop and then don't drink for a set period of time.

Also one of the best ways to avoid alcoholism is not to drink when you really want a drink.

Alcoholism killed my mom even after she beat it.
  7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Consistently drinking more than a few ounces of hard alcohol a day is unhealthy. 2 bottles is over 50 ounces, which in a week is over 7 a day. Too much. Of course, weight, body chemistry, etc. mean that 7 ounces will affect different people in difference ways, but that's still too much for an average.

Also, you probably aren't an alcolohic yet, but if you continue to drink a lot, consistently, chances are you will become one. Best to head it off at the pass. Cut down.
  8. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

Aug 7, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Personally I cannot understand drinking every day? For what purpose does this serve?? The only reason I see to drink is to catch a buzz or get drunk. I do this every 3 or 4 months or so (special occasions only..a wedding, b-day, etc.) Other than that, what is the point of poisoning your liver?? :confused:

I didn't check your profile before I posted, but if you are a college student, nevermind what I said. I drank all the time at that point in my life and basically quit the day I graduated no problems. Actually I was quite sick of it by then! :)

If you seriously cannot go through the day without thinking of alcohol, you do (or will probably develop) a problem. I cannot see why anyone would want to end up having a problem with alcohol.
  9. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    I think there is a drinking problem when people begin drinking due to stress and or problems.

Hard day at work? Must go home and drink.

Trouble with the spouse? Have to drink.

When drinking becomes something people only do when they are experiencing stress, then I'd say there is a problem.

Likewise, when drinking gets in the way of commitments like work, school, family, etc there is a problem.

A beer every single day is not a problem - as long as a day without it does not cause you stress or anxiety.
  10. someguy macrumors 68020

Dec 4, 2005
    Still here.
    I don't drink at all. Never have, probably never will. I don't see the point.

As far as drinking to enjoy myself or have a good time, I can have a great time sober (whether those around me are or not) and feel no need to risk losing that ability by relying on alcohol for this, even if it's only on rare occasions.

As far as drinking because I "need a drink", beit because of stress or a rough day, etc, I steer clear of this more than anything because I think this is the worst time to drink. It takes a lot to put me in a bad mood, and when it happens, I take the opportunity to teach myself to cheer up without outside help from anyone or anything. I know a lot of people who simply cannot keep themselves under control anymore when things aren't going well for them because they have become reliant on alcohol to "make things better".

I'm not saying that everyone who drinks is making a mistake, I just don't see what it has to offer that I cannot offer myself.

...and to be honest, if I wanted to get ****ed up, I'd probably do it right and drop some acid or try LSD. That'd be way more fun that being tipsy and feeling like **** the next day. :D
  11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Er, no. A glass of nice wine with dinner is one of the great pleasures in life... god bless the Italians for the right idea.
  12. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
    When I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself ;)
  13. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    The fact that you've recognised you are drinking too much and even asking here whether your behaviour is sliding into a problem suggests to me that you're not an alcoholic. Drink a smoothie whenever you feel like having some alcohol. The natural sugar hit should take your mind off it.

Be careful you don't get addicted to smoothies though :p
  14. Markleshark macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2006
    Carlisle, Up Norf!
    See, I've always found I prefer to be with friends when I'm drinking by myself... lol

Seriously tho, I think I prolly drink too much but I enjoy it, so its all good. I stopped for about 8 weeks a while ago to try and loose some weight, but I found it didnt help so I went and got pished.All good. I would say I prolly spend about £25 a week on going out ($47) and considering drinks 'up the town' here in the UK are stupidly expensive (About £3 or $5.5 for spirits, each) I wouldn't say thats too bad. Still know about it the next day tho. :D :cool:
  15. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    Most evenings I will have a beer (pint can) when I get in from work, sometimes up to 3 of an evening. Although I usually average 2 a night! Unless Im out with friends then its quite a bit more :D

If you are a student its all part of the experience. Me and my best mate at the time spent over £1200 each in one summer while at college on going out and drinking.

Reading that back it sounds like i have a problem :D but I assure you I dont. I can go without a drink for ages and quite often I do. I only think it is a problem when you find yourself drinking for the sake of it. Another mate of mine was very much a borderline Alcoholic, he would regularly finish off a bottle of whisky in a night as well as drink LOADS when we were out. It was all down to stress on his part and it got quite serious to the point of myself and a mutual friend mentioning it to him. This put it in his mind that other people had noticed what he was trying to deny to himself. With that he took note and stopped drinking as much. Although he did end up in hospital with Alcohol poisoning when we went on vacation but thats a different story. :D

If you think you have a problem then only you can stop it but others can help. Seek help if you are really concerned.
  16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    £25 a week? :eek:

I can spend that on one round of drinks in Sheffield. Some places its nearly £3 a pint. Oh and guys, the cash machine in Spearmint Rhino in Sheffield charges you £5 to draw your money out. Yes Five english pounds! I needed money for a cab. I only wanted £10, it cost me £15! Just a warning.
  17. Lau Guest

Totally agree with Blue Velvet here — drinking to get drunk even rarely is a far more unhealthy way of using alcohol than having a nice glass of wine with dinner or a cold beer on a summer's afternoon.

I also slightly disagree on the "never drink alone" thing — I know plenty of people who probably don't drink alone, but do have a bit of an alcohol problem, as in they use it in an unhealthy way when they do go out, and will have trouble stopping when they do go out. Having a drink or two in the evening by yourself isn't a problem in itself, it's how you use it, I think.

I know where you're coming from, jamesmcd. I probably have a drink more nights than not — say 5 out of 7? I also don't have a problem not drinking for a period of time, but do enjoy it immensely, and so would find it hard to give up because I like it, the same way I'd find it hard to give up chips or cheese. Mmm, cheese. I think the warning signs are when it starts to severely interfere in your life, like not being able to resist having a drink in the evening even though you have to get up early and do something.
  18. MOFS macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2003
    Durham, UK
    Well, an easy way to check is to ask yourself the CAGE questions...

Have you ever felt you needed to Cut down on your drinking?
    Have people Annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
    Have you ever felt Guilty about drinking?
    Have you ever felt you needed a drink first thing in the morning (Eye-opener) to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?

If you answer yes to 2 or more of these questions, I'd reccommend talking to a professional.
  19. Cloud9 macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2005
    between flesh and thought
    I have a glass of red while reading a book before bed each night. I also like to sometimes have a glass with some soft music while photoediting. I guess it puts me in the mood to create, I mostly edit for weddings. I dont think I have a problem. Infact I have never liked drinking much before in my life. But I like the solitude warmth and imagination.
  20. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2003
    As mentioned above, you can tell its becoming a problem when it begins to interfere with your life or the lives of those around you. If you begin to miss meetings, fight with friends/family, blow off responsibilities, etc. then its a problem. I have known people who drink like a madjew :D but still treat others as they should be treated, take care of all their responsibilities, yet drink like its the night before Prohibition. Then there are others that drink only on the weekends but... I should add that if your drinking beings to adversely affect your health, whether you think you are an alcoholic or not, stop drinking. (see your doctor to see if Stop Drinking is right for you).
    Just stopping for two weeks does not prove one way or the other if you are an alcoholic.
  21. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2003
    Sorry for the double post;
    I will review the DSM-IV-TR and give you the characteristics of alcoholism and the differential.
  22. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    First off, LSD and acid are the same thing. Second, you'll still feel "tipsy" and feel like **** the next day, although it will mess you up like no booze can. I wouldn't recommend it as an alcohol substitute.
  23. someguy macrumors 68020

Dec 4, 2005
    Still here.
    First off, I knew LSD and acid were similar which is why I used them in the same example, but thanks for the info, I did not realize they were identical.

Second, you're completely missing my point, or maybe you aren't and just felt like picking it apart. :D

Either way, all I'm saying is that drinking has nothing to offer me. I never really felt the need to try alcohol, and while I don't feel that there is anything wrong with drinking, I am content without. At least I know for sure I do not have a problem. ;)
  24. treblah macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2003
    Would you give people your opinion on the iPod if you had never used/owned one? :rolleyes:

Why every time a thread about drinking is started there is at least one "I've never drank, or have any frame of reference but…"

On topic: If drinking or using any drugs starts to interfere with work or relationships then you should evaluate your situation. I get sloshed a few times a week but I'm never late for work, or forget assignments or personal responsibilities. If I did screw up then I would cut back.
  25. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    No worries. It just sounded like you were saying that LSD wouldn't leave you messed up the next day.