Alderman fails to calm rage over adult store

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jun 16, 2006.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I really wish people would get their priorities straight. Remember folks, this is the city, not the burbs! Trust me guys, there's nothing unique about where the store just opened. It's like any other neighborhood. There are "schools, churches and homes" in every neighborhood. Plus, The Pleasure Chest is about as tame as you can get.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-chest16.html

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm confused -- is the pleasure chest still on halsted?

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It was on Broadway- you're thinking Cupid's. They had to move because of rent.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I guess as long as they're not selling adult magazines and videos, they're not considered an adult, sexually-oriented business.

This can be a complicated subject. I'll grant you, selling dildos and whatnot doesn't really make them your standard store either. But then again, what's the difference between this and a convenience store that keeps Playboy behind the counter? (I'm assuming they're keeping these items out of the reach of kids.)

As far as "why the alderman didn't know"...businesses that deal in any kind of adult material, but especially sexually-oriented businesses, do not like to announce themselves until the last possible minute, to avoid the kind of community and governmental reaction we're seeing in this case.

We had a different kind of problem in our community. The city council zoned an industrial area near the highway as the only space available for SOBs. Yet a topless cabaret opened its doors almost in the heart of town, also near churches, schools and daycare centers. How? There'd been a previous strip club at the site (prior to the zoning law), so legally they considered themselves grandfathered in. The state supreme court agreed.

People are calmed down now, and while some still don't like it, they've kind of accepted it. Personally I don't like it either -- not because of the type of business it is, but because their actions show they are more interested in giving us the finger than being a cooperative community member. I don't care if they do business in my town, but I'd have to agree with those that don't want to see them across the street from a Catholic church and a playground for little kids.

And yes, I'd agree with your overall point, lee -- with so much insane crap going on in this country, whether or not a store sells adult toys doesn't really matter a damn.

I wish people would grow up. But I guess it's easier to get all het up about dumb local issues like this than to get angry about your federal government sending your sons and daughters to be killed so Bush & Cheney's oil company buddies can make more money.

5. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

My girlfriend says she prefers Igor's Dungeon, because they're cheap and the employees are kind of nutty. I haven't been to either one due to the accident.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ahhh, i know where you mean.

their website says they're now in the 3400 block of n. lincoln (getting close to my neighborhood). yeah, like that neighborhood is on the decline. gimme a break. remember what it was like 15 years ago?

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, I do. I had friends getting shot at back then in that neighborhood. I don't get these people. BTW- I go to the YMCA on Marshfield over there. A lot of people were talking about it yesterday. ALL of them thought the fuss was silly.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

It's very silly. If you try to hide this stuff from your children they'll just go after it behind your back. Sexuality is not something that should be swept under the rug, that's unhealthy and no fun!

e

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

We've got a guy here who's turned the adult business thing into a profitable venture -- but not by selling sex toys. He's had better luck either cutting deals with cities to pay him to move, or suing them for violating his rights.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i wonder if it's the case of about 5 people being all up in arms about it, and 25,000 being okay.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's generally how it goes with these things. Unfortunately, as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so a small minority (particularly one that includes a few influential members of the community) can make changes that the vast majority would oppose.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Most likely. Isn't that usually the way? :rolleyes:

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i reckon this could all be solved with a $10,000 campaign contribution to Ted Matlak.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

Sounds like "NIMBYS."

(Not in my back yard syndrome.) :rolleyes:

Connecticut Ave. in DC would fliip their lids. Two sex shops and a leather place within stone's distance of some of the most expensive property in DC.

Also the lowest crime.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Of course... people are "otherwise occupied". :D