AlephOne and M1A1

Discussion in 'Games' started by federalists, Jul 24, 2004.

1. federalists macrumors member

just downloaded M1A1, and i got it to work. hurray! however, i don't get any status info in the game interface. i have no idea what my weapon is, how much ammo i have, my shield level, etc. is this the correct behavior for marathon 1? do i toggle the user interface somehow? what's going on?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you're in "fullscreen" mode, you don't see any details. Try turning the size down one notch.

3. federalists thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i just figured that out. to anyone else interested, just make sure you pick a resolution that has "HUD" in it. it's a great game, by the way. all you halo fans should definitely check it out! the marathon and halo worlds are connected...

4. colinp macrumors member

I'm not familiar with M1A1, do you think you could provide a link or some info on it? Thanks in advance!

5. federalists thread starter macrumors member

ok, so here are the links for mac:

data files: http://fileball.net/marathon/item.fb?451353496 (mac only)
    game engine: http://source.bungie.org/ (get mac os x, obviously)
    preferences: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=740679&group_id=1997&atid=351997 (i used this because i wanted to invert the mouse. but you should probably change the sensitivity as well. it was insanely fast for me, so i had to change that as well.)

if you want to play it on windows, then check out this guide instead:
    http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=261195&postRepeater1-p=1

i heard you can use the same savedgame files on both mac and windows. so if you start playing on mac, you can switch to pc easily.

also, a helpful hint: hit your action button when you're in front of terminals for the story and maps. and go to "pattern buffers" to save the game. that's the only way to save. i hope that helps. the game is awesome for being so old. it's like doom with an actual story. plus the graphics have been updated. enjoy!

oh, if you have any problems installing, just post a message back on this thread or PM me.

6. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

I'll say it because it hasn't quite been clearly said yet ;)
    M1A1 is the free open source version of Bungie Softwares "Marathon" game released in December of 1994 :eek:
    Best game of all time... Though Marathon 2 was given to me as a gift before I got marathon 1, so I never fully enjoyed the graphics of M1 :)

Tyler
    Earendil

7. fritter macrumors newbie

Does Aleph One run okay now? It seems like I tried it a year or so ago and didn't have a lot of luck.

This was a blast from the past, though -a few months ago while I was at home I found my original Marathon 1 box, and just for the hell of it tried playing the game on my TiBook. It played great in Classic, better than it had in OS9. The only problem was that it didn't play the MIDI background music, so I ripped the audio tracks and played them on iTunes in the background. And what got me was remembering a hidden message in Resedit from one of the Bungie guys on the Marathon Trilogy CD. He mentioned something about how he was happy to re-release the game without any serial numbers, so someday in the future when he was old and grey he could play the game on his superfast paper-thin laptop under emulation. And here I was ten years later, playing it in emulation on a laptop that wasn't quite paper thin, but was about as close as it gets. :)

8. federalists thread starter macrumors member

it runs really well on my PB 1.5ghz. i think it will run really well on any modern spec machine, as well. it has support for openGL or software. opengl looks great for me. textures are a little blocky, but that's the game! i haven't tried this with infinity or M2 as of yet, both of which you can a texture enhancement pack for. i wonder if there's such thing as a marathon clan out there... anyone play network games? i haven't tried that yet.