Alias Maya universal binary news?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Flash3441, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Flash3441 macrumors newbie

Flash3441

Has anyone heard anything regarding if/when Alias Maya is going to become a universal binary application? I want to update my current software to it's newest version but am thinking about waiting till the universal binary comes out since I'm also planning on buying a Powermac as soon as it goes Intel.

Also is Maya my only choice? Any chance of Softimage XSI ever being available for Mac?

2. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

3. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Here is the letter I recieved back on this subject-
    -------------

Unfortunately, I do not have an estimated time with regards to when a
    Universal Binary version of Maya will be tested and qualified.

I suggest that you frequently view our hardware/systems qualification
    chart:

http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/support/maya/qualified_hardware/index.jsp

The chart will be updated as soon as new hardware/systems have been
    tested.

Regards,

Quinn Cousineau
    Administrator

4. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

The lastest version of Maya looks like it was compiled with Xcode, so I don't know why it's taking them so long to port a UB. So much for Steve's contention that Xcode allows for easy conversion. I thought all developers had to do was choose the "create UB" option and recompile? Remember way back when Steve announced how easy it was going to be to recompile if the code was already in Xcode? He even had a few developers prance around on the stage to brag about how easy it was to convert their apps. One company (can't remember the name), said it only took an afternoon. As for Adobe taking until next year...it's because Adobe Studio is NOT in Xcode and that is their excuse...not sure what's up with Alias. Maybe it's because they got bought out by Discreet and things are a bit in turmoil?

I think it's pretty much a given that Maya will be UB sooner than later. I guess they aren't that motivated because the Intel desktops aren't out yet. I think we will see a lot of pro apps hitting the market once Apple starts shipping the desktops.

BTW: Freeny, how did you get pictures of MY girlfriend to use in your avatar?

5. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Cinema4D is UB. Modo is UB, but currently it's only a modeler. I think you should be able to run XSI or any other Windows only apps by using Bootcamp. I'd wait for the new desktops and then run Bootcamp on a separate dedicated drive.

6. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

DUDE!! Shes all over the internet. And these are her "nice" shots. You'd think you'd know her by now?

I too feel there will be a UB version of Maya soon. I believe they dont want to give a date fearing sales would slump from people who would rather wait then buy now...:rolleyes:
    Im gonna guess by the fall?

7. nepaligurkha macrumors newbie

any other news?

now that the Macbook pros and the macbook has been released is there any new news about maya being a UB, i guess now the autodesk took over alias we don't even know if a new version of maya is going to be released. Besides that is there any news u guys of heard of?

Thanks
    -Tabha

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You do realize that the e-mail from Alias that freeny posted was from today, right? I doubt anything has changed in the last few hours.

9. nepaligurkha macrumors newbie

oh i'm sry
    i'm stupid, i thought this was a old thread
    sry

-Tabha

10. ATD macrumors 6502a

11. Sladuuch macrumors newbie

Ballz yeah! A Maya UB is the only thing preventing me from going out and impulse-buying a 17" MacBook Pro roight bluuudy now! In fact, I think I could siiiiing!

12. ATD macrumors 6502a

That and CS.

13. Roderick Usher macrumors regular

There's a lively ongoing thread on Autodesk's forums about this, where someone trotted out this link:

https://www.cmpevents.com/GD07/a.asp?option=H&V=13&MgEid=1772&X=2

Not sure how much credence to give this information, but it is the GDC site; I doubt they'd just invent it out of thin air.

14. Roderick Usher macrumors regular

15. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Maya 8.5 is now Universal Binary

Autodesk quietly released the UB version. This might be front page news but I didn't want to start a new thread. I've been reading random rumours and so I went to the Autodesk website to find out for myself. On the system requirements page at the bottom is says Maya 8.5 is UB.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7635167

On the hardware page, is states the the MacPro has been tested and there are no issues. Same thing with the X1900.

I wonder why Autodesk isn't ringing bells? This is big news! A lot of people didn't have faith that Autodesk would pull through with a UB any time soon, if at all.

16. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

pehaps their waiting on leopord to do the 64 bit version?

17. bozigle macrumors regular

I just received my newletter from autodesk...
    Seems to me this is Official and advertised in supported OS as UB
    bozigle

18. Roderick Usher macrumors regular

19. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

It basically means they don't guarentee it will work so you won't be entitled to full support (depending on your agreement). However they're thinking about qualification which means they'd offer full support for it on the MBP.