Alice... possible to install without Classic?

Discussion in 'Games' started by graydecember, Aug 14, 2004.

1. graydecember macrumors member

hi. Just in the mood to play something as I have no games on my mac, and I had always had Alice in the back of my mind. So I go a few minutes ago to download the demo to muck around with and it seems it won't install without classic (obv., I don't have it on my machine). Is this 1)a problemm with the demo, and the actual install disk (if I buy it) *will* run without Classic, or 2) or am I doing something wrong?

I had wanted to know if I should get the thing off amazon or if it would be a waste- I really don't want to have to have classic. Thanks!

(running panther, ibook g4 800Mhz)

elliott

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I don't think you'll need classic to install Alice, and you definitely don't need classic to run Alice.

If I remember correctly, classic wasn't required to install Alice (though I might be wrong on this point), but I know that you definitely don't need classic to actually play Alice—there are updates available that allow you to run the game as an OSX native app.

Enjoy, I liked it. One thing to remember is that you can save the game at any point in a level through the game menu—it took me a long time to figure this out, but it sure made life easier!

3. PlatinumBlade macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

Alice Installation

Important note on installing Alice on MacOS X: The Stuffit Installer will run natively under MacOS X to install Alice, but the progress bar will stop updating on the "ClientLib Carbon" item. The installer is not stuck or frozen - it is busy copying a large number of files to the hard drive and will eventually finish. This is a bug in the Stuffit Installer used for Alice.

This is a quote straight out of my Alice manual. The installer is a Carbon app so it is comfortable in either OS. If you don't have classic you should be fine. If I remember correctly it ran better under OS X than it did OS 9. Probably an issue with the sprockets I had to use prior to having OS X available.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Important -- don't install it into the Applications folder.

I did this & never got it to work, crashed constantly on loading, got in touch with Aspyr and they said:

Install it somewhere else, so I put it into Documents folder, runs like a dream from there. Don't know why.

5. PlatinumBlade macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

Alice Crashing

Really? I'll keep that in mind though I've never had the problem. I never install games into the Apps folder unless I have no control over where the game goes and the installer puts it there. I have a Games folder on my drive where everything goes. I do wish that Apple programs were more self contained than they are though. I don't like Prefs panes and other assorted support files being put all over the place. I wish OS X was designed to view everything within its own directory so you had one single point of failure with a program. I guess I can't complain too much though as they are more contained than Windows apps.

6. graydecember thread starter macrumors member

Fabulous- this will all be helpful. So, do I just order the game and cross my fingers that it installs? I'm going to go now and fool around a bit with stuffit xpander and see if that will unpack it (instead of merely double clicking it)....

(one moment...)

hey! when I open stuffit and *manually drag* the .sea file in it all works! thanks for your help- that is the secret- dragging seems to work differently than double click (I wonder why this is, I changed no settings)

e