Alien - It's baaaaaack...

Discussion in 'Community' started by job, Sep 10, 2003.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/alien_25/

Check it out. I'm not sure if this was supposed to be released yet, since you can't access this trailer via the apple.com/trailers page but nevertheless, it looks great. Just in time for Halloween...:D

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: Alien - It's baaaaaack...

I can view it

:rolleyes:

edit: This movie doesn't even crack my top 10 List for Scaries Movies!!!

:p

3. Independence macrumors regular

it's nice to see one of my favorite movies going back to theaters. despite its age, it's still an extremely good movie. :)

4. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Re: Re: Alien - It's baaaaaack...

Go to http://www.apple.com/trailers

The trailer isn't listed under 20th Century Fox or anywhere on that page for that matter.

Had I not bookmarked the page, there would have been no way for me to view/find the trailer again, since Apple lists *all* of the trailers on their main trailer page.

:rolleyes:

I can view it just fine as well.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I never saw it in the theaters, I'm really looking forward to seeing it - classic scifi horror.

Both the wife and I will be going to see it....

D

6. chadfromdallas macrumors member

This movie wasn't ever scary to me. Looking forward to Scary Movie 3 more than this :p

7. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I liked the movie not for it's scariness, but for it's design. The Alien ship and the Aliens themselves look so cool.

P-Worm

8. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Well yeah, but during the ad/trailer they say 'scariest movie' like 8 times...

:p

9. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

You all have to look at movies made over 10 years ago as if they were playing to a very different audience. When ALIEN came out, it really WAS the scariest movie ever. Just like the Exorcist, Psycho, Dracula, The Omen... all of them were deeply disturbing, highly tense films that scared the crap out of audiences back when they originally played.

What's a REALLY scary movie nowadays? The Ring? Signs? Seven? Try getting scared by any of them in 15 years. Heck, even Silence of the lambs is already losing it's "scare" factor. Audiences have consistently become more "hardened" by the media, movies like ALIEN, and just life in general, so it takes more to get the same thrills you used to get with the "oldies".

A bit off topic, but to think that on the first season of ER, the writers and producers were fighting with the powers at NBC because they couldn't use the word "testicular" on the air, and the whole show was about a guy with testicular cancer.

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I cannot wait, I was just so excited when I saw the trailer during JC2. I am a huge Sci-Fi movie buff, so I am excited at the thought of seeing it on the big screen. It's not the horror of the movie, since I really am not affected by any scary movie I can think of, but it's just really good from a movie/sci-fi oriented film. Since I was born in 83, I just never got to experience a lot of these great movies on the big screen. I'd have loved to have seen Terminator and Back to the Future and even the Star Trek series on the screen. They were just before my time, unfortunately, which is a shame, since they generally make up my favorite movies.

11. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

what's goin on? i searched for it, then the results came up and then Apple can't find the page that the trailers on?:confused: i wanna see it!!!:(

anyway, i love the Alien series, even though Resurrection wasn't as good as the others, it was still cool.

i first caught a glimple of Alien when i was about 12/13 years old, it was in the scene when they're all sitting around the table and then that poor guy... aaarrrrggghhh!!! nightmares!!:eek: my brother also saw that bit, except he was about 9/10 at the time. it's definitely not a good idea to let young kids watch horror movies like that. my brother is still scared to watch anything too scary. :p

if anyone finds the trailer, post it up, eh? could it be on iFilm or something?

12. Tequila Grandma macrumors regular

I must disagree here. I might be the ONLY person on Earth who believes this, but "Alien Resurrection" is the second best film in the series (behind the first one, of course). Here's a breakdown of what each film has to offer...

Alien: A spectacular film by all means. The exploration at the beginning is very interesting to watch, the alien out of the stomach truly is a surprise the first time you see it, and from then on, it's a spectacularly done horror film. Added to this, the direction and editing is top notch, and the production design (and alien design) is now looked upon as legendary.

Aliens: Instead of being a fantastically crafted horror film like the first, "Aliens" is simply Sigourney Weaver running around shooting things for 2 hours. It may be better than other action films out there, but in the end, it's just a brainless, boring action film - nothing more.

Alien 3: Honestly, I don't remember too much from this except for the fact that it was even more boring than "Aliens", and made very little sense. Perhaps I'll give it another chance when the extended edition is released later this year in the new "Alien" DVD boxed set.

Alien Resurrection: Still pretty nonsensical, but not quite as much as "Alien 3" was. The plot is pretty silly, and the acting isn't very good at all, but this is all saved by the fact that EVERY SINGLE FRAME OF FILM IS GORGEOUS. Jean-Pierre Jeunet has yet to make a single movie where there was a single bad shot. Everything he does has excellent control of color, and the framing is always perfect. While "Alien Resurrection" may not be a s visually stunning as "City of Lost Children" or "Amelie", it's still spectacular looking.

So, there it is. The first film is really the only one I'd consider to be good. The 2nd and 4th are worth watching for certain things, however. "Alien 3" is a throwaway film.

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

They pulled it because of the leak.... but now that the link is public and they have the IMAGE of it on their site I don't get why it aint up...

Attached Files:

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yeah, Resurrection wasn't bad or anything, but i've never actually watched all of them together, so my memory is probably failing me right now. :p

i also want to add that H. R. Giger is a legend! i love all of his work. some people might not know that he has also done work for the 'Dune' movie, and he's made a chair. checkout hrgiger.com and go to 'furniture'. i love those chairs!! :D

and i'm sure that most people would know about the microphone stand he made for Korn. you can see it in their latest Tomb Raider video.

here's a movie that really has potential to scare: Killer Condoms :eek:

15. Tequila Grandma macrumors regular

I remember reading that Debbie Harry and Chris Stein (of the wondeful band Blondie) had a huge, elaboarte H.R. Giger-designed chair in their NY apartment in the 80's. Giger is indeed a great designer.

16. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i just found a pic of the chair. :D the pictured chair goes for around $10 000 - $15 000, each one is made to order.

the ultimate chair!! :D oh oh, $50 000 for the aluminum chair!:(

Attached Files:

17. Independence macrumors regular

i must disagree about both of your descriptions. Aliens was an excellent movie that combined a good story, good characters, suspense, and action all in one. truly a great movie.

and Alien 3 really wasn't all that bad. i still don't see why people hate this movie so much. i thought it was great and i loved it just as much as Alien and Aliens.

18. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

None are as good as the first, though. It's just one killer Sci-Fi suspence horror flick. I cannot wait to see it in the theater for the first time.