Alien Quadrilogy...

Discussion in 'Community' started by dave1234, Nov 29, 2003.

1. dave1234 macrumors regular

Sometime soon, all 4 of the "Alien" movies are going to come packed into a set. This set will be called "The Alien Quadology". Not to be confused with "The Alien Saga" that was out and contained all of them on DVD as well.

But this quadology set will contain 9 disc's, NINE!

Each theatrical version of the movie (all four Alien movies as they were presented in theatres).

And you will get all of the directors cut of all of the movies. (The alien Directors cut was just released in theatres around haloween, it was considerably longer, and more in-depth than the theatrical version.)

So that's 8 discs, the last disc is all special features. I can't find exactly what will be contained on the extra disc.

This is a very random post I know, but I am a huge fan of the series, and of the games. Does anyone have plans to buy this Box set.

2. job macrumors 68040

job

Are the theatrical and director's cut versions on seperate disks?

Is there nothing else on those disks? Seems they could put a little more on them.

3. dave1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Movie Disc Containments...

I haven't been able to find out much about it, but I know it is set in stone that it is nine discs, and will have both theatrical and directors cut versions of the film plus an extra disc of special features.

So really im just assuming.

I'm not completely certain about the release date. We also have AVP the movit to look forward too. Man, the predaleins will be amazing. Or I hope they will be.:D

4. losfp macrumors regular

AFAIK all 4 movies have the 2 versions on one disc (extra scenes inserted via seamless branching) + commentaries... and a whole bunch of documentaries etc on the 2nd disc.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Here is where all the info is:

http://www.foxhome.com/alienq/

Looks pretty extensive! But now what if they make Alien 5? Maybe I should save my money and buy the Alien Quintilogy in 2 or 3 years... ;)

Personally, I didn't agree with making the 4th film in the series, and felt it didn't do the rest of the pictures justice, but that's just my opinion. The third film ended in such a perfect way, and provided closure to the series... Ah well, I guess we could get into a whole debate on this series as well!

6. dave1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Here is all what is going to be featured on the 4 discs, turns out, I was missing alot of features in my first post. This is directly of the sight were you can purchase it.
    http://www2.foxstore.com/detail.html?item=919&u=1067916512

Format: DVD
    Rating (MPAA): R
    Originally Released/Aired: 2003
    Run Time: n/a
    DVD Special Features:
    ____- ALIEN: Alien Legacy, Alien Evolution
    ____- EXPERIENCE IN TERROR: Promotional Featurette '79
    ____- Ridley Scott Q&A
    ____- Alien Laser Disc Archive:
    ____- PART I: PRE-PRODUCTION Chapter 1: Introduction/Table of Contents, Chapter 2: The Screenplay, Chapter 3: The Director, Interview with Ridley Scott, The Director (con't), Chapter 4: H.R. Giger, Interview with Ridley Scott, H.R. Giger (con't), Chapter 5: The ALIEN Production Unit, Chapter 6: Casting PART II: PRODUCTION Chapter 7: Introduction/Nostromo Exterior, Special Effects Footage, Production Footage, Chapter 8: Nostromo Interior, Out-take footage, Nostromo Interior (con't), Chapter 9: Costume Design and Props, Chapter 10: The Planet, Production Footage, Chapter 11: Derelict Exterior, Production Footage, Chapter 12: Derelict Interior Production Footage, Chapter 13: The Egg, Production Footage, Chapter 14: The Face Hugger, Production and Out-take Footage, Chapter 15: The Chest Burster, Production Footage, Chapter 16: The Alien, Production and Out-take Footage PART III: POST-PRODUCTION Chapter 17: Editing and Music, Production Footage, Lambert Confronts Ripley, Kane's Condition, Ripley & Parker, Planning the Search, A Quick Glimpse, Ripley Reassures Lambert, The Airlock Sequence- Part 1, The Airlock Sequence - Part 2, The Cocoon Sequence, Ridley Scott Interview and the Cocoon Sequence, The Music, Production Footage, Chapter 18: Theatrical Release, Trailer, 4 TV Spots, Academy Award, Chapter 19: Promotion, Chapter 20: Closing Commentary, Ridley Scott Interview, Chapter 21: The Alien Art Gallery, Chapter 22: Laser Disc Production Credits Bibliography
    ____- Theatrical Trailer A, Theatrical Trailer B TV Spot: Egg, TV Spot: Now Playing
    ____- ALIENS
    ____- Aliens Laser Disc Archive:
    ____- Chapter 1: Introduction, Chapter 2: Table of Contents PART I: PRE-PRODUCTION Chapter 3: Writer/Director James Cameron, Interview with James Cameron, Chapter 4: The Screenplay, Chapter 5: The ALIENS Crew, Chapter 6: Casting PART II: PRODUCTION Chapter 7: Introduction, Chapter 8: The Narcissus, Chapter 9: Gateway Station, Film Footage, Chapter 10: Alien Landscape, Chapter 11: The Jordan Tractor, Chapter 12: The Sulaco, Chapter 13: The Drop-ship, Film Footage, Chapter 14: The Colonial Marines, Chapter 15: Marine Weaponry, Chapter 16: The Armored Personnel Carrier (APC), Chapter 17: The Colony, Production Footage, Chapter 18: Face-huggers, Production Footage, Chapter 19: The Alien Nest, Chapter 20: The Chest-burster, Production Footage, Chapter 21: The Aliens, Chapter 22: The Queen, Chapter 23: The Power-loader Chapter 24: Replicas of Bishop and Newt, Chapter 25: The Power-loader vs. Queen Battle PART III: POST-PRODUCTION Chapter 26: Editing and Music, Chapter 27: Theatrical Release, Chapter 28: Promotion, Chapter 29: The Restoration, Chapter 30: Closing Commentary, James Cameron Interview/Film Footage, Chapter 31: Bibliography and Laserdisc Production Credits
    ____- Theatrical Trailer A, Teaser Trailer, Domestic Trailer, International Trailer, TV Spot: Now Playing
    ____- ALIEN 3: 6 Trailers, 7 TV Spots
    ____- ALIEN RESURRECTION: Theatrical teaser, 2 Theatrical trailers, 4 TV spots, Bob Burns Alien Collection, DARK HORSE STILL GALLERY, DVD-ROM (Script to Screen Comparison)
    Video: n/a
    Color: Color

This would make an interesting poll, Which "Alien" movie is your favorite.
    My personal favorite is Aliens, I thought it was the first movie to truly out do its predasecor(Sp?).

7. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I bought the Alien legacy when that came out like 4 years ago, there is no need for me to buy this. I really am putting off buying as many DVDs as possible considering that I am just going to have to buy them again when HD DVD starts coming out.

One more thing . . . Alien Vs. Predator is going to kick, I have been waiting for this movie forever!

8. dave1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Alien Versus Predator

I think Alien Versus Predator the movie will rock, the games have been amazing.
    Who do you think will win? I think the predators will.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm hoping AVP will be good, but I've heard some concerning reports that the plot is very weak. I realize most people go to these movies just for the action and the fact that it's AVP, but I'd still like it to be a good overall movie, and not just a B-Grade Sci-Fi flick. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out...

As for the Alien movies themselves, I honestly like the first 3 all equally, just for different reasons. The first one is, well, a classic - I could go on and on about how this movie is simply amazing, especially for its time. Aliens was an amazing Cameron sci-fi epic - sci-fi at its best, with a lot of action and the fact that it was an extra long movie made it even better - a rarity with many movies nowadays. As for Alien 3, it went back to its roots a la the first film, and the ending was, well perfect. My only complaint was that the characters didn't seem to be fleshed out enough.

In any case, this is why I was disappointed with Resurrection - I thought the series ended perfectly with just the trilogy, and that Resurrection, albeit a good movie overall, just wasn't of the same caliber as the others. It just didn;t seem to have that same "magic".

And now I hear there are rumors about Alien 5? Geez, I hope they don't drive this great frachise into the ground...

10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

dave you forgot

[Note: the MR boards don't have a cross through the $99.98, like it is on the original page]

Still... that is a loottt of money!

:eek:

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'll say! That is quite pricey. For 9 DVDs, I guess it's somewhat of a good price, but all at once, that's quite the investment! Oh well, I guess whatever floats your boat... :cool:

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Hmm, I wonder what the details will be when they release an Ultimate DVD Collection for Lord of the Rings. I can just see it now: Extended editions of all 3 movies, 20 DVDs in total, an actual Ring, a certificate of authenticity signed by Gollum - and all for just $500! :cool:

13. dave1234 thread starter macrumors regular

The price

I just came home from best buy, and I asked them how much it will be, they told me it will be priced at, 85$ i think thats not bad for 9 DVDs.

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Re: The price

Like I said, that's not too bad, and if you're a big fan of the series, then it's defintely a cool investment. I just know so many people though who are hardcore DVD collectors and pick up every type of special edition like this - it's unreal! I look at their bookshelves, count 50-60 DVDs, and think, "Hmm, at $20/DVD minimum, this guy has sunk around $1600 into DVDs!" It's scary, because over time, some people don't notice it - as for me, I buy the DVD for the movies I truly love, and only have about 10 of them - so far. ;)