alien vs predator thoughts

Discussion in 'Community' started by nizz, Aug 13, 2004.

1. nizz macrumors regular

i caught the midnight show last night, me and many others thought that this movie wasn't very good. the main idea of the story seemed very cool, but it was delivered poorly and executed even worse. Another factor was that all the alien movies used to scare me sh*tless, this one didn't seem to have that effect. it definitely wasn't worth the 9 bucks. go watch it if you want to! but i recommend waiting for the dvd.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I haven't seen it, but I would predict without knowing a single thing about it, that it would suck in a fairly major way :(

3. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i read one review where the reviewer said they'd rather pay to watch Gigli.

I think ill wait for it on DVD.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

it is getting hammered everywhere. 8% on rotten tomatoes. didn't even get an advance screening, how pathetic. couple of my friends are going to see it tonight, im going to see napoleon dynamite instead.

iJon

5. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Best movie of the year IMO.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

haha, the response email doesn't show quotes, so i thought you were talking about avp, i was about to question your movie taste for a second. glad you liked it, the bicycle scene cracks me up everytime in the previews.

iJon

7. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

8. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

I think the main problem with people's dissapointment was the previews and commercials neglected to mention that AVP was actually a comedy... ;)

9. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Oh great. You'll never guess which two movies my son wants to go to this week.

10. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

You poor, poor, soul . . .

11. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

2 words for when you see it:

Steak

Grapefruit

Remember them.

12. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Much like Freddy vs. Jason which IMO was the funniest thing I'd ever seen.

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

see this is my debate now. shall i go see avp with the intentions of it being horrible and laughing my ass off now. my last movie i went and saw cause i knew it would be bad and funny was you got served. i don't think avp is going to convince me to spend my 650 or whatever. i think i would rather save my money for collateral again or just hope donnie dark:dc comes somewhere near me.

iJon

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

AvP could've been a killer movie. Oh well. I haven't seen it but I've read a synopsis and the story they went with was just dumb as hell. Of course the final nail in the coffin was FOX insisting on a PG-13 movie. You've got Aliens. You've got Predators. And you want a PG-13 fick. :rolleyes:

Lethal

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Why oh why did they insist on this?
    Vicious creature from Alien movie, uses tail claws and jaw/tounge thing to wipe out Nostromo crew, and that's after bursting out of a guy's chest.

Vicious creature from Predator movie, collects skulls and spines, maims people with lightning blasts or blades.

I knew Fox would mess this up and turn it into a cheese-fest of hammy acting, bad effects. Now if Fincher or Scott or even Cameron had been at the helm, we might have had something impressive.
    They even had a series of scripts from Dark Horse comics that at least made some sense.
    I knew Fox would mess this up.
    I'm going to the cheap seats or maybe I'll wait to rent it.

16. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Yeah, and they know how to force you...

"Special edition yugi cards, only given out at the movie. Never to be seen again"

Then try and tell him we'll wait for the video (probably the video will have another set and we'll have to buy that too)

At least AVP has a hope of being mildly entertaining ... I mean, it's Vicious/killer/acid blood things against hunters who like to cut people to pieces and if all else fails trigger atomic bombs.

There has to be at least one "killer" fight scene, right?

Oh, wait, PG-13. ****ing movie execs.

17. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Just got back from the movie a half hour ago. I expected little plot and ... true to my expectations, the plot was half developed. Acting was B level, dynamics among the characters was AWOL.

Now if I really-really wanted-expected to see plot, acting, and characterization, I would not have gone to AVP.

All I wanted to see was the Predator kicking Alien butt. The last third of the movie delivered a nice Alien-to-Alien slugfest.

The rest was a yawn. Of course, we are so familiar with these monsters, it is hard develop suspense like the first two Alien/Aliens. The first rule of suspense in a monster movie is .. don't show the monster too much. The cat/Alien was out of the bag a long time ago with AVP.

O'h where are you now Sigourney Weaver? Please come kick my butt for old times sake.

18. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

My kid is a Yugioh fan. So far he hasn't said anything to me about it (whew!!!)

19. nizz thread starter macrumors regular

OH GOD, YUGIOH!

my 11 year old brother wants to see it. I got the japanese version with english subtitles almost 3 weeks ago, but he refused to watch it at home. apparently the movie theatres are giving out free cards with every ticket purchase.

20. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i must say napoleon dynamite was great. i laughed my ass of till the end. it was such a pointless movie but there was never a dull moment. hopefully it will do well since its wider release. hopefully garden state and donne darko can spread around the country more so i can see them as well.

iJon

21. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

After reading the reviews I had no expectations when watching this movie. It wasn't that bad and I enjoyed it. This movie wasn't really scary except for the pengiun scene. Lol.

22. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I knew this movie would be bad the second I heard it was going to be made. The last sequels just haven't done these series justice IMO - Predator 2 was okay, but not as good as the original, and I still refuse to accept Resurrection as an Alien movie - I still refer to it as "The Alien Trilogy" if you ever ask me! ;) Scott made the classic Alien, Cameron did what he does best in making an epic sci-fi action movie in Aliens, and Fincher's first film (an amazing director) was excellent, although many people don't seem to appreciate Alien 3 for some reason. John McTiernan did an amazing job with Predator as well... Resurrection, although a decent movie on its own, just seemed too "forced", as if someone said, "hey, let's cash in on the "Alien" name and make another movie to make some more dough!" Alien 3 ended the trilogy so perfectly - why did they have to go an ruin it? :(

This could have been a good movie, but I knew it would turn out to be like a Freddy vs. Jason movie - too artifical, too gimmicky. Plus the director was a self-proclaimed "huge fan" of both series. While this can be good in some respects since you know he's going to try and do a good job, for me it was a red flag, as it just seemed like a geek getting his wish. I got the same vibe from the Wachowski brothers with the Matrix sequels - they were given a license to make 2 sequels due to the success of the first one, no matter how bad the sequels might end up, and were given a lot of $$$ to do it. I have similar fears with regards to Peter Jackson's "King Kong" remake. Yes, he did an amazing job on the LOTR trilogy and deserved his Oscar, but now it's like, "Well, he's a big director now and really likes King Kong, so let's let him do what he wants". :rolleyes:

I'll probably just wait for AVP on DVD or maybe see it in the cheap theaters in a month for $3... All these bad reviews are coming as no surprise to me whatsoever...

23. brogers macrumors regular

I just saw the movie and thought is was good. Not sure what people are expecting from it. I even thought it should have been rated R....seemed to violent for PG-13. Anyway, it had all the stuff one would expect. Then again, I usually like what the critics trash anyway. I thought it was well worth the free ticket... :D I was going to pay to see it anyway, but the ticket was nice to have.

jb

24. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

It saddens me to hear this. I was a big fan of both Alien movies and Predator movies. I even had the books called Alien vs. Predator (there were two of them and they kicked.)

I actually had high high hopes for this movie. But it looks like I will see it in the 1.50 movie theatre in a few weeks.

Mike

25. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I saw it last night and the theatre was pretty empty for a Saturday night 9pm showing.

It sucked. It did. I mean seriously, it really sucked.

There were enormous leaps in the story line that left me stunned. Her conclussion early in the film about the weapons left me like.. "what? where did that come from?" The bit about "every 10 minutes" and that somehow being metric... flabergasted.

I just can't believe I payed to see this film.