Aliens affecting my iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Jedi128, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Ok, so I had a 3rd Gen. iPod that I bought Jan. 2004 and just recently I've purchased a 5th Gen. (loving it!) Nov. 23 2005. The last week I was using my 3rd Gen. the date+time was mysteriously setting itself to Feb. 2099. I thought, oh, time to buy a new iPod. The RAM battery was probably just dead after almost 2 years of owning the thing.

So, I go out an get a 5th Gen. (Black, 30GB) and just within the last week its date+time mysteriously reset itself to Feb. 2099? I was like wtf? Are there aliens outside my house just messing with me? Anyone have any ideas....

Also I thought that I wasn't getting my 14 hours of music out of the new iPod, so I decided to just run the iPod's stopwatch anytime my iPod was on. The iPod died when the stopwatch was 4hours and 50 some minutes!!??

Was it just the fact that the stopwatch was running that seriously cut the battery life?

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Yeah, definetly aliens. People always overlook the possibility that aliens are interested in all our cool technology, and are the real reason for unexpected results.

Why did the settings on your computer change? Aliens.
    Why did your ipod go 94 years into the future? Aliens.
    Why did your iMac just crash? Aliens.

Really, it explains everything.

3. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Probably the best reason I've ever heard to get a new iPod.;)

As for the stopwatch test, I would say it's because it is accessing the hard drive the whole time, which really cuts down on battery life but I could be wrong. I haven't really tested my 5G for battery life but what bit rate do you have you songs set to? I doubt it would make a huge difference on battery life but Apple uses their tests with 128 kbps. If yours are 192 kbps or higher that could have resulted in the lower battery life. That and the fact Apple always adds a little time to the battery life of all their products.:rolleyes:

4. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

At least they're interested in Apple products and not that other company.;) :p

5. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

6. Jedi128 thread starter macrumors 6502

good, that was really freaking me out there for a second....

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

watch out man, one night u and your ipod might wake up on a probe table waiting for the KY jelly. take this as a sign.....get out of dairy!!:p

Bless

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think he was talking about the outer space aliens and not those darn Canadians that keep sneaking across the border, or was that the Mexicans that sneak over take those horrid low wage jobs away from us. :confused:

9. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

The date and time is synced from your computer. If you open up system preferences, date & time, make sure "Set date & Time automatically" is checked. There must be something dodgy with your settings.

That's all i can think of. :confused:

You don't live near a worm hole or anything?

10. Jedi128 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats it exactly.... I figured out today when my iPod was again thinking it was 2099 that I had plugged it into one of the computers at my school. Its the school computer that is the problem. My iBook's date is fine so that hadn't been affecting it but the iMac G3's at school are so fricked up. At least they finally put Panther on them this year. But its soooo slow (500Mhz G3) that whenever I use expose it feels like I'm holding down shift....

I can't change the date because the thing is passworded to death. They lock all the settings even the date. I could probably get into the thing if I really wanted, and I might try it becuase that is so annoying.... and its not like I'm trying to destroy the computer, I have important things on there too!