aliens vs predator 1 and 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by howard, Apr 13, 2003.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

so any of you played either aliens vs predator 1 or 2? they both look cool. would you reccommed either one? i was looking for something cheaper so 1 would fullfill that...but if 2 is like eons better than i could look into getting that. thanks

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've got Aliens vs. Predator and like it but it's still not something I play a lot. I played the original Alien vs. Predator on Atari Jaguar quite a lot, though. Still, I'm looking forward to Aliens vs. Predator 2.

3. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

i ended up getting the demo of the first one...wasn't too good..a little outdated at least..might have been good 3 years ago. i'll have to check out the 2nd one.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Most games seem a bit dated, but that's definitely got some history now. The newest one is already around a year old.

There are several other FPS games out there.

5. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Aliens Vs Predator on OS X rocks!

Aliens Vs Predator on the Mac is a game that I have not stopped playing since it came out sometime last year.

The single player marine missions capture the atmosphere of the Aliens movie very well. The Alien and Predator missions are a great variation of the FPS genre, doing things that most human-character based games could never do; for example, the alien crawls on walls and ceilings while the Predator has a good variety of vision modes.

The multi-player part of the game has Gameranger support and a lot of people who play online on a daily basis (yours truly included). Species DM is great online as you can team up a few marines vs some preds or aliens, each group with distinct strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately the gameplay starts lagging when you try playing with 6-8 people but I imagine that in a LAN game this problem would not exist.

Speaking of speed, the fact that the game's 3D engine is old means that on any new Mac you can get away with 1024 X 768, 32bit graphics with all the detail turned to the maximum. For ATI graphics there is also an anti-aliasing option. Having said that, I think the game's beauty is in the sophisticated animation, particularly the realistically exploding aliens (avoid that acid blood!).

The game has also been updated to the point where it is completely bug-free. I am using a QuickSilver Dual 800MHz with OS X.2.5 and AvP 1.0.9 runs on it without any problems. How many older games can you say that about?

Basically this is a game that runs fast and has more variety that the average FPS. Considering that you would not pay full-price for it today I highly recommend that you purchase this.