Alienware 7700 "Laptop"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by redynvre, Mar 17, 2005.

1. redynvre macrumors newbie

Hello All!

I need some advice. I am looking to get a PC to run my 3Dsoftware, SolidWorks and Alias Studiotool 12. Thats all it is going to do. I have my Macs for the rest.

However I would like some portability too. That's why I tought of the Alienware Desktop replacement laptop. They have a $500 instant rebate on their 17" model.

Do anyone of you know anything about these machines? Or do you guys have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't own one, but several acquaintances do. They complain about the lack of mobility that the Alienware (or indeed any DTR) laptop suffers from. It should certainly be powerful enough for whatever apps you may wish to run.

From what I've seen of them they ARE portable but they are generally designed to be used on a desk, with occasional stints out and about. Expect bad battery life and be careful about burning yourself! :eek:

3. wide macrumors 6502a

It'll have bad battery life, cheap looks (and it will wear down fairly quickly if you use it regularly, and if it is Pentium-M it will get very, very hot very quickly. Some people I know who have Alienware laptops say that the service is crappy, and one of those people had a screen that broke once (maybe twice). I'd go for a Dell, they have better service, a better price, and a better name.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I dunno, we've had some nast experiences with Dell DTR laptops were I work, and the screens breaking were the biggest issue. I think that the quality of the hardware is pretty similar, although I will agree with you on the wear. The paint on Alienware laptops is pretty fragile, and it doesn't take too long for an often-handled computer to look like hell. One of my coworkers has had one for about 9 months and there are two big spots on the handrest where the paint wore off.

5. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I've had many cosmetic issues with every windows notebook that I've owned. I'm not sure if the notebook is to blame, or is it that I am more careless with them, since they looked like crapped, and couldn't really get any worse in appearence.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think you would be better off with any other brand than alienware. I think they are seriously overpriced for the same contents you'd find in an Acer...except at least Acer builds their own.

Think of this...it's like an ugly chick dressed in clothing from American Eagle. Cute, but still ugly.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*feels like MR needs a rolling-on-the-floor smiley to respond to this properly* :D

8. 808 macrumors member

have a look

take a look at voodoo laptops
    not only do they perform
    but they look soo sleek

but then again, ive only read about them and dont have any experience
    but its worth checking out
    while you're in the pc realm

9. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Don't get an Alienware or a Voodoo, if you're more concerned about performance. With the previous two companies, you get the same thing for a LOT more money than elsewhere. Yes, they do look nice. But there are companies like Sager who offer the exact same computers for a lot cheaper prices. Plus, from the general reviews I see on Alienware, expect to wait a long time before it ships and their service leaves something to be desired.

Check out notebookforums.com for some analysis on pc laptops. Lots of discussions there that you could search.

10. iTron5 macrumors newbie

I would also suggest something like the sager. I have the 5690, and it's an awesome laptop/dtr. I used it at quakecon last year playing all the latest games then such as doom 3. It's very powerfull. However as has been mentioned this is a pure desktop replacement, they are heavy, bulky, and the battery life is not good. I think it's like 8lbs, 1.75" high, and i think under heavy use i got about 1 - 1 1/2 hours of use. For me this was fine, as i knew this going in and it fit my needs perfectly. If you are looking for pure power they are definitely the way to go. I noticed you mentioned a 17" laptop, you might look at these models.

http://pctorque.com/9860.php

http://pctorque.com/4791.php

http://pctorque.com/4750.php

I also agree to look at http://notebookforums.com/ that is where i first heard of sager and through reviews and such there decided on my laptop. Some very good info.

11. redynvre thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your input! I don't know what I will do yet. Once configured the way it should be, the Dell is over $3000 for 15"and 2.13Ghz. The Alienware, with the $600 instant rebate is only $2666 with a 17" and 3Ghz. Everything else being more or less the same. same V card, amount of Ram and H drive.

I have been taking to some people this week end about it, they work in animation, and they said that Alienware had quite good machines. Soooo I don't know what I will do yet.

Well, I guess more research is needed. I have the luxury of time, so may as well use it!

Any more comments are still more than welcome!

Thanks!

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Since it was brought up, I'd go Sager if I ever needed a PC laptop. I just hope that day never comes.

13. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

Try one of the Asus models. They look like PowerBooks :)

14. Lukasha macrumors newbie

As a Mac and PC consultant who works with all types of computers all day long and has to recommend new computers to people all day long, when I'm not recommending a Mac, I usually recommend Compaq.

The PC brands I would consider buying are Sony, Dell, HP/Compaq. Gateway sucks and Toshiba make the worst laptops in the world in my experience. Sony is expensive, but usually offer the lightest, thinnest laptops with hardware and software included to make multimedia easy.

Dell, HP/Compaq are the same for reliability, dependability, etc. but I can routinely price an HP/Compaq (especially the Compaq brand) cheaper than a Dell with the same specs.

So my recommendation to you is that if you are determined to get a DTR laptop, look at the Compaq and HP brand. You'll get the best laptop at the lowest price.

Jeff