Alienware computers

Discussion in 'Games' started by alien_ware, May 13, 2005.

1. alien_ware macrumors newbie

Hi i have decided to get an alienware laptop but i am concerned that i will be getting a too expansive one evnthough its better it might just be too much power. it has 3.9ghz with 2gb of ram a nd 256 graphica card. 160gig hard drive and i want to know if i should just get a cheaper alienware but would it still run without lag on half life and doom3 or any other high graphics games?i know i know im getting a peecee but i am aloso keepig my ibook.

PS i am olny 14 so my budjet is not very high but we are selling our house so i get money from that.

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Wow, that's a nice laptop. I just config'd an Alienware 51m 7700 laptop: 3.8GHz P4 with 2x1GB RAM, 256MB GPU, 2x40GB hdd (RAID 0), WiFI card, and AV s/w, and it was around $3,300.

You could get an iBook, Xbox360, a decent TV, and a surround sound system for the same (or less) money.

3. alien_ware thread starter macrumors newbie

ya there not cheap but how much is the xbox 360

4. Tech^salvager macrumors regular

well for one thing the xbox 360 is not out yet to buy.

5. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Your 14 and selling your house to buy a laptop?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I bet he's not even a real alien.

7. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Maybe his parents are paying him off not to complain about the move and leaving his friends, school, bars, etc.

8. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Free laptop each time they move. That would be sweet :D
    I would want to move all the time.

9. cosmoed macrumors member

I really don't reccomend laptops for gaming. It generally is going to cost more. You can build a great pc with 1,200 budget.

10. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

Exactly. Granted you will get a somewhat cool looking case with the Alienware, but you are overpaying a ton. Buy all the components and put a gaming PC together. You'll save a ton.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I agree that if you're a hardcore gamer you need the Intel platform.

Why a laptop? It can't be because of battery life, because the Alienware will have the lifespan of a gnat. A laptop will ALWAYS be
    1) less powerful than a desktop
    2) more prone to breakdown
    3) more expensive to fix
    4) more prone to theft (!)
    5) more expensive to buy

%&@ me, that machine's over CAN$4000 even after $624 in rebates! Plus $560 in taxes! Even then I can 't find the 160 Gb drive option or the 3.9 processor option on their configurator.

Since you will have to plug this machine in to do gaming anyway, why not build a SFF desktop around a Shuttle case, and save $1000 - $1500

With a desktop minitower or small form factor desktop, you'd get better reliability, choice of better video cards if you are truly striving for greatest performance, adequate portability for LAN parties (you have the iBook for travelling) and a wider choice of monitors at a much lower price.

One thing to think about: how and where will you get it serviced? Remember there is at least a 10% chance it will have to go back for warranty repair. Make sure if you are getting the Alienware that it ships from Canada and is serviced in Canada - you REALLY don't want to deal with the hassle of over-the-border warranty shipping, paperwork and clearing charges.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Aren't Alienware computers completely overpriced eyecandy that could be duplicated simply by building a computer to the same specs from pieces skimmed off your local PC supply store (and adding a flashy chassis) for much less cash?

13. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I never have been a big fan of laptops nor have I ever been to a LAN party but I could see why a uber fast laptop would be nice for such a thing. Take your overpriced Alienware laptop to your friends house, plug it in and go.

Remember lunchbox computers? Super small case with a 9" display and built with standard parts but they had to be plugged in. They were used by all sorts of people who wanted a portable computer but those who were always near a power outlet when they needed to use it. Thats the way I see this laptop. If it were me, I would rather it didn't have a battery so that I could cram more crap into it.

14. redynvre macrumors newbie

Actually, I think Alienware laptops are great value. They are infact desktop replacement, so it needs to plugged in at all time, I get 40mn of battery life! But all the components are desktop components.

I use mine for 3D modling (Alias Studiotool and SolidWorks 2005) Its great! And mine is not even configured to maximum capacity.

I travel a lot but only use it once in an office, so battery is no concern for me.

Pricewise, I configured plenty of brands, from Dell to Aviator and Voodoo, and for my secific configuration, it was $100 cheaper than Dell and yet with a great Graphic card (FX 1400 256MB with Dell it was only a 128MB at the time) including a $600 discount at the time.

15. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Yes, but since you can't buy parts for notebooks, Alienware provides a niche market for mobile gamers. But then again, you can just get a gaming dell notebook. They only problem with that of course is that you would no longer be good enough to post at macrumors. =P

16. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Alienware - WAY OVERPRICED PCS. For that kind of budget, you could build one hell of a SLi A64 rig, and get it an Apple 23" Cinema HD display, with a nice Dolby system. Now that'd be one hell of a Doom 3 system, espically in widescreen. :eek:

17. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Haha. :p

18. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

This post is just bizarre, it's like it's a dream or something. Especially that last part, lol... :rolleyes:

19. sourcemonkey macrumors regular

Err, i miss what's so bizarre or dreamlike about the post. Of course it could be complete bs (who knows these days) but isn't it just a kid wanting advice on what laptop to buy? He's made it clear that he wants it to play games and at 14 can you blame him? so his parents will - it appears - make some money from selling their house and have promised him money as a result. weird? no.

anyway, topgun made a good point about the value of having a laptop for lan parties (although i too have not done that personally) so if that's your priority a laptop is best suited. i really don't know much about windows-using laptops but one should always be aware that gimmicky products are generally going to be more costly. i don't know what to advise if you decide 100% to go for a laptop.

however, if your priority is not lan parties you should consider making up a dektop pc yourself from components and choosing whatever box you want for the 'look-factor' (but keep your ibook ;) ). this would be much cheaper and more effective for games i'm assuming.

another alternative would be to wait for the x-box 360 but it looks like it will be november before it's released and i guess that can seem a long time for a 'youngster'. (you could save the money untill then and amaze your parents with your powers of restraint!)

A new imac would actually be my 'best of both worlds' choice. it's a mac (obviously) good enough to play most games (i'm guessing) etc. etc. this is going to depreciate in value much slower than an alienware laptop too, so this could be good for re-sale later when you're 15/16.

games and laptops are never the best of friends, consider that and make your purchase accordingly. the specs on your suggestion seem great, however, the 160GB HD seems crazy though- too much.

in sum, i'd say don't get a laptop at all for games, though, make up a cheap pc desktop games machine / buy an x-box / buy an imac.

whatever you choice have fun (and be nice to your parents (it's a nice gesture giving you money from their house sale))

20. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

it supports dual hard drives in a RAID and dual optical drives. it's one big mother f*****! anyway, have you considered a dell inspiron xps? it uses a pentium m so it gets good battery life (well 2 hrs in tests, good for one of its class) it's got a great gpu, it's cheap compared to the alienware and it's pretty small compared to the alienware (only 1.67" thick and reasonably sized) then again, there's the dell stigma...

21. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

Alienwares are overpriced nice looking machines. If you are looking for a Windows laptop...Dell is the way to go for gaming. I have used PC my whole life and when I got a Mac a year ago I use it for everything including games,it runs them a lot smoother than a PC and there are plenty to satisfy my,plus I have all of my consoles. If you are looking for true gaming just get a PSP or an XBOX,PC laptops aren't the ideal way to play games. Acer and some other brands have some good Windows computers,as well as other companies and you can even make your own. If you are not wanting a laptop just for gaming and want some gaming on the side...get a PowerBook,there are plenty good games(Doom3,Halo,WOW,Medal Of Honor..etc.)

22. efoto macrumors 68030

For complete gaming and nothing else, a pc is currently the way to go, however I'm not so sure about getting an Alienware. It has already been covered that they are quite expensive (on par with Falcon Northwest or Voodoo, which personally I prefer either to Alienware in style and they are more anti-trendy trendy, which is always good :rolleyes: )

In any case, you should definately look at a 'fragbox' or a home-built shuttle pc, as they are not only cheaper but of similar portibility (minus screen) and probably a little bit faster too. If you are going to be required to plug this in at all times anyway, why not maximize the peformance and have easier upgradability in the future. Unless that thing is big enough to have a desktop HD ( :eek: ) then that is always a plus for speed, capacity, and price.

23. russed macrumors 68000

russed

wow those laptops are expensive! and why would you want two optical drives in a laptop!

24. efoto macrumors 68030

Haha, beauty is seldom cheap....examples around in bras and panties daily :D (well not for me, but for some lucky people).

I can personally see no reason for multiple optical drives in a portable, especially with the advances in optical technology of late that allow things like the Superdrive to exist and perform oooo so good.

I would never buy one of those, but perhaps someone will, maybe the OP. Just trying to help out, and if someone finds joy in those pretty pieces, then so be it.

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

LAN parties.. I'd beat my own ass for going to a LAN party.