Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mahashel

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2005
"the lab"
I always preferred Voodoo when it came to high-end gaming machines. They were bought by HP recently, same as Alienware was bought by Dell. (keeping up with the Joneses anyone??) :rolleyes:
Alienware makes some neat stuff, but they are too attached to their bulbous case (look up the "ASUS Vento", BTW, if anyone wants the Alienware look for their own DIY box).

Personally, I've never been able to afford any of these high-end gamer niche machines, but they are DAMN cool. :D
I build my own gaming PCs, for much less. Then I buy Mac portables for all the non-gamey things I do. heh

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
Which brings the question... What is worse, a mac or a windows zealot?

None are a hillside full of heavenly scented marigolds and daffodils.

I'd say both are just as worse as each other, and there is also some nice Windows users as are Mac users. Only human after all!

(look up the "ASUS Vento", BTW, if anyone wants the Alienware look for their own DIY box).

That ASUS vento looks like something from I,Robot.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
Which brings the question... What is worse, a mac or a windows zealot?

Why so combative? This sort of duality and invective doesn't do any of us any good at all. There's just no need for this sort of bitterness and divisive behavior. What's truly important is that Mac users and Windows users alike can sit down together in harmony and agree that Linux users are annoying as hell. :)

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Alienware is such a rip off. They take parts that you can buy for $1000, put them in an ugly ass Alienware case, and charge you $2500 for it.

Naw dawg, I need air vents in my PC case (for aerodynamics). Oh, and I need like 16 random lights/LED's for extra awesome. All my friends will think Im uber cool!

Alienware is like the Civic ricers of computers. Just build your own and save your money.

What's truly important is that Mac users and Windows users alike can sit down together in harmony and agree that Linux users are annoying as hell. :)

Amen. If one more person tries to show me that stupid spinning desktop cube in Ubuntu and claim it's a good reason to switch, I will punch a baby.

spjonesi

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Ok, then do it. $5,000 will buy you an Alienware rig with basic specs:
Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme QX6850 3.0GHz (OC'ed to 3.33)
Dual 768MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GTX
2 gigs RAM
NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
Vista Home Premium
2 10K RPM 160G SATA drives
20X Dual Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Burner

Your budget is $2500.
On just the processor, mobo, HD's, and videocards, newegg.com gives me:
Processor: 1445
Mobo: (lowest price is eVGA, but I assume they'd use ASUS or some other real brand) 146
HD's (newegg doesn't have 160GB, so I will use 150) Cheapest: 195x2
Video cards 517x2

Total for just these components = 3015, not counting RAM or optical drive or OS or anything else.

Well, I build my own machines too, and this is actually off to a good start. But setting the budget to half (as suggested before) wouldn't be really easy to do. So I get your point. However, if you did put a different mobo in it, Asus board etc, 2gb of ram, an OS, and an optical drive. You might be looking at $3,650-$3,50 or so.

For me it would be worth it to save the $1,250 for a bitchin' monitor. But for a high end gaming rig like that, it would also be nice to have some sort of coverage if it all craps out on you...which a home built machine does have, but not to any great degree. If anything dies, call the manufactuer and start going rounds with them. If anything on the alienware dies, call them once and be done with it.

my .02
spjoneSi

krunk

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
There is absolutely no debate here. Anyone who denies it is without a doubt a zealot of one camp or the other:

Alienware stomps the crap out of Mac Pros for performance.

Mac Pros stomp the crap out of Alienware for performance.

Depends on what your using them for.

If what your doing requires very low latency, high bandwidth, video performance then Alienware outshines the mac in so many ways it's humorous.

If you need to run multi-threaded apps and latency and memory performance is secondary and video is inconsequential, then Mac Pros shine.

Talking about "quality of parts" is fairly silly at this stage in the game. I mean who buys that marketing spiel about Apple getting the "super special reliable parts" of the exact same models. Read the press releases of every major OEM...they all say that. Apple computers ARE PC's now. In every way shape and form. So much so, that the only reason we can't run OSX on off the shelf hardware is due to a software dongle that apple uses to restrict users.

If the very top end of processing power in the 8 core Mac Pro models is used, then there is some ground to stand on in claiming Mac Pro's as performance kings since they are not available anywhere else.

As far as building your own, you can save 5-600 dollars by building your own dual xeon machine easily. I spec'd out the pieces at newegg real quick and it comes to about 2000.

That includes a nice Lian Li case, when I first saw the design of G5's, I was sure that they had contracted Lian Li. A Tyan motherboard, the standard 1gb of ram, 2.66ghz Woodcrest Xeons, and a x1900GT ATI card (I picked the GT and not the XT because apple underclocks their XT cards to GT levels).

I also only have one cpu configured because they are sold out at the moment...the total with 2x cpu's comes out to right about 2k. Oh, looks like I forgot the hard drive. But that's like an extra 60 bucks for the 250GB Seagates that apple uses.

Apple's price: $2800
Build your own: $2100

Of course, people will start to nit pick. You get an os included, a nice personal management suite, warranties are exactly the same (1 year) and in some cases building your own gives you a better warranty (2 year). Maybe the mobo in the Mac Pro cost a bit more. But of course, the exact same could be done with a $2800 alienware compared to a newegg self bit (you get xp included, dell/alienware has a better default warranty if I'm not mistaken,etc. etc)

The mac is a pc with a DRM'd OS to keep you from running it on your own hardware (repeat that 3x).

And like any OEM machine, it comes with tax.

*edit* If you ask me what's sitting under my desk it's a Powermac G5. I felt the advantage of the best desktop Unix on the market right now was worth the tax and sacrifice. Not surprising since I thought the benefits of using Linux far outweighed the sacrifices for what I do.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Alienware is overpriced. iBuyPower.com and CyberPowerPC.com are priced much better, and you get an even better selection of pretty cases, since that's what seems to drive purchasing decisions on this thread. LOL.

I've purchased from both of those companies. Good experiences with both when buying a single machine. Bad experience when I tried to buy 50 of them.

I speak only of desktop machines. I don't know squat about laptops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.