All ABC content for free on iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by plinden, Mar 2, 2006.

1. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Someone (who has absolutely no connection with either ABC or Apple) has just told me that ABC are going to put all their content for free on iTunes. I have no evidence that this is correct, and I can't find any announcement online about it, so I'm not expecting it to be correct.

But hey, this is MacRumors, and if this doesn't count as a rumor, what does?

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

pig's , might fly! comes to mind but hey you never know

3. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

not likely, but possible...

... and if they do expect to see the first TV shows from iTunes available with "commercials" as a "new feature" ! :)

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

ABC must stand for "Altruistically Becomes Charity".

5. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

unlikly, however The Office rates went up since it was on iTunes, so perhaps the plan to Up the veiwers number with this.
    But i doubt it will happen

7. clcnyc macrumors regular

clcnyc

I agree. There's never a free ride...

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I actually wouldn't be that surprised if they did. I see them putting the first few episodes of a show on iTMS for free, to get the audience into the show then people would have to watch it on NBC from then on. Then the rest would be at regular price if you wanted to continue to watch them through iTunes.

The things I most like getting from the iTMS are the SNL skits and the comedy central stuff stand up stuff, that stuff is hard to get otherwise.

9. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

From a Digg comment quoting the AdAge article:

No dice, the shows have to be downloaded from ABC.com and will have ads in them.

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

Of course, free videos would mean that Apple was willing to forego any revenue as well - they have costs associated with managing, hosting, and providing the content, so it would be both Apple and ABC who were being altruistic.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Now I see the point of this. iTMS would be the public Tivo. If you missed a show, you can get it, commercials and all, from iTMS. Presumably, ABC would pay Apple for rental of the space and downloading service, so Apple would get paid even if downloading is free. Apple would therefore be getting a share of what the ad agencies pay ABC for the ad time.

If it costs Ford Motor Company or Procter & Gamble a certain amount of money to buy a 30-second ad on "Lost" for live broadcast, what should it cost those companies to have the ad downloaded and watched by viewers later?

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, now, since Apple's about to buy Disney, who owns ABC, it all makes sense, doesn't it? If it increases viewership, Apple stock will go up - perhaps enough to make up for the new Intel mini fiasco.... ;)

13. plinden thread starter macrumors 68040

plinden

So that's the source of the rumor. Interesting ... pity it turned out to be false.

14. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

ABC is singular entitiy therfore ABC IS or IS not going to do something not ABC ARE or ARE NOTgoing to do something!!!!! (Same goes for Apple...)

Sorry, big pet peeve and I see it all of the time.

15. plinden thread starter macrumors 68040

plinden

You're speaking American, I'm speaking English. Although I've lived in or near San Francisco for 6 years, I'm not changing how I speak or write.

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

MacRumors aren't going to like the discussion about what ABC are going to do or what Apple are planning getting off-topic.

Oops I mean

MacRumors isn't going to like the discussion about what ABC is going to do or what Apple is planning getting off-topic.

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yea i can see this....an hour show(40minutes is commercials)...yup good to go.

Bless

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you are going to be an anal, grammar Nazi you should at least check the spelling in your post.

Lethal

19. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Do you also try to correct people who spell honour and colour?

The "ABC are" thing is a U.K. thing.

But don't feel bad, I once flamed someone for misspelling "whinging" (I thought it was "whining") -- boy, did I get an earful for that one...

20. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Not trying to flame, just point it out. I did not realize that the English utilized plurals differently than us "stupid" Americans with our bastardized english.

Spelling i have no prob with. I would consider them more typos. Many times people sound like they are 2nd graders here vs the well educated people that they are (I am making an assumption since most have decided to purchase or use macs!)

Thanks for the education......

21. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I know a woman in her 40's or 50's who writes emails like that. It drives me crazy that she thinks it's "cool" somehow. "got 2 B 4 U" and all that good stuff. Blah!