Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
So, I'm a photographer. I'm also a redhead. I've merged the two worlds together before in a fictional photography project that presented a world where redheads united to fight back against the world of everyone else, to finally retaliate against the bullying and jokes. I've went on to feature the project in artist talks that I give at schools and conferences.

That was a few years ago. I've decided now to return to the redhead idea for a new project. For the first time, I'm doing something that is closer to documentary rather than fictionalized drama. While I'm piecing all of the ideas together, I thought I'd bring the topic up as a thread.

What is your opinions on redheads? Have you ever given the topic much thought? Even if you're not a redhead, I'd love to hear your opinions. If you are a redhead, do you feel there's anything unique about your life experiences or etc?

Sounds a lot like this video by M.I.A. (NB age restricted).

Renzatic

Suspended
Depends on the phase of the moon for me, I think. Redheads are usually my thing when the moon is three quarters waning. Right now, it's all about green eyed brunettes.

Full moons? Really trashy slutty blondes.
arms.gif

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I've never thought about red heads?

I use henna to dye my hair because I like the slightly reddish tint but that is about the extent of my red head thoughts :)

I'm not attracted to red heads personally but it isn't really something I've thought about.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Are you sure your friends are natural redheads? I'm not saying that they aren't, only that I don't know a single natural redhead who is tan. Ever.

Again though keep in mind I'm talking about redheads, not orangeheads.

There isn't an orangehead alive who isn't paper white, that I'll concede.

Actual red hair though, I've known many women who were tan.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
If that were true, wouldn't all redheads be lactose intolerant?

Well, depending who you listen to up to 4% of all of our DNA might have come from Neanderthals. They also suggest that it varies according to geographically where your ancient ancestors came from being somewhat more pronounced in Europeans than Africans. (However, rather boringly, others maintain there was no interbreeding and it all comes from a common ancestor).

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
Again though keep in mind I'm talking about redheads, not orangeheads.

There isn't an orangehead alive who isn't paper white, that I'll concede.

Actual red hair though, I've known many women who were tan.

Just out of curiosity, do the curtains match the drapes for natural redheads? I've never had the pleasure of finding out for myself.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
My two closest and oldest friends are redheads, so I suppose I've always just kind of considered redheads to be family. It's never occurred to me that they're a visible minority anymore than blondes. One's getting married this summer and I feel like I'm the best man at my brother's wedding.

The only reason I'd pay it much mind is that I'm under strict orders from Lee to give him a call immediately if I spot a cute, gay redhead :p

It wasn't until the South Park ginger episode went viral that I really became aware of hair-colour based discrimination. I doubt my two friends experienced much bullying because of it — we were already ostracized for being nerds, and crap at sports — and until I wrote the above paragraph about Lee it didn't even occur to me that I had more than one ginger friend and I had to edit my opening paragraph :-/

Beattie Pearson

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
I'm a redhead - I think a friend's father referred to me as a 'strawberry blonde' which was lovely. I didn't really experience bullying because of my red hair as a child, but if other bullying took place, it was pointed out that I was a ginger!

I never liked my red hair as a young girl - I stood out and children don't want to be noticed. I could never colour it successfully as my dark haired friends did - it would just look so false. However now approaching my late 40s I love my hair colour. All my contemporaries have lost their hair colour to greying whereas I don't have a single grey hair and my long locks look so colourful. At last I embrace standing out in a crowd!

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
What's the difference between a redhead and ginger? I always thought that Redheads were dyed red, whilst ginger was natural orange hair and freckles. In the UK it's the latter that gets ridiculed.

Yeah, and I don't get that. I haven't noticed redheads being discussed with such disdain here in the States.

personally, a red-haired girl goes to the top of my list in terms of attractiveness

Redheads are the prettiest people on the planet.

Freckles are just fine too.

What these guys said. I loves me some redheads, especially with the freckles. :D

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
if there is bullying/ridiculing directed at redheads, it must not be very common. at least in the US
never witnessed any case, never heard any jokes about it, i wasn't even aware that there an issue until this thread.
is it possible that is a purely english thing (as an anti-irish bias)?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
is it possible that is a purely english thing (as an anti-irish bias)?

(from personal experience, might not be correct! buuuut) it's seen as a Scottish thing here, not Irish. Going off my circle of friends all the Irish folk have brown or black hair, Scottish have light brown and ginger. It's probably anti-Scottish more than anything.

Welsh have the best colour range, with their solid gold hair spun from the finest angels.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Thanks for the responses. There's such a wide gamut of opinions, but it's interesting to hear the various perspectives for why they exist. This photo/documentary project is now underway (probably looking at least a year or two before it's completely finished). If you're curious or just want to see a website that will track the developments, and also grow into a full resource for redhead topics, check out http://www.redheadstory.com

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My mom is a redhead. While my hair (what's left of it) is brown, my facial hair does have a reddish nature when I grow it out. I've never really experienced anyone ridiculing or being prejudiced against redheaded people. Of course there is the occassional kids being kids and bullying, but in terms of adult interaction I've not seen it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.