All along the watchtower...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Palad1, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Latest BSG completely blew my mind.

I highly suggest you grab it on iTunes asap!

2. HungrySeacow macrumors regular

Battlestar Galactica is the best series that has ever existed!

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

4. emmawu macrumors 6502

It's "All Along the Watchtower" a Bob Dylan song.

Do you believe the ending? Awesome!

5. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

There's too much confusion here

MAJOR SPOILER WARNING FOR BATTLESTAR GALACTICA SEASON 3 FINALE

I put that there for the folks who are behind on BSG... or haven't started it yet :)

That out of the way... yes, that had to be the most awesome season finale in TV history. Season 1's finale was a jaw-dropper, but this one... well, I will have brain aneurism waiting for next January is all I can say!

If you haven't watched the show, do it. In order. Starting with "season zero" aka the Miniseries. And don't read any more of this thread--the surprises will be worth the wait.

Even if you don't like sci-fi, BSG one of the best dramas ever. And if you do like sci-fi, this beats any TV or movie sci-fi, and rivals even some of the great books.

So... is that version of All Along the Watchtower one that you can buy? Or was it made just for the show? Or was it some kind of mix? EDIT: Vocalist was bt4, and I'll have to wait for the Season 3 soundtrack. Hope it's included--I really like it.

6. Palad1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Shoot me dead right now.

I posted at around 2 am in France after a long day and I knew something wasn't right...

This damn typo kept me awake at night!!!
    I'm not worthy... ;p

SPOILER

The way I see it, the most important rhyme of this song is the second rhyme of the chorus

Cylons... Yeah, right...
    Something is telling me that the Chief is about to kick some major ass... in 2008 :(

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I have no idea what's going on here. What's BSG? I've never even heard of it...I'm not convinced anything can beat the original series of Star Trek though. What is TV sci-fi withouth Spock, Kirk, Scotty, and Bones??

YT

8. Palad1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Palad1

I used to be a huge star trek TOS fan when I was a kid.

Then I watched futurama, loved the Zapp Brannigan character and took upon me to introduce my girlfriend to TOS last year.

Oh gods! I can't stand Kirk anymore. Zapp Brannigan is right on. Kirk is a dangerous homicidal maniac commanding a warship and trying to impregnate alien babes left and right.

You should really give battlestar galactica a go, especially the miniseries, it has a kind of low-tech meets hunt for red october aspect.

9. Baron58 macrumors 6502

Battlestar Galactica. The current one is a re-invention of the original 1978-1980 series, and it's associated original books. Both the old and new are Sci-Fi veneers on top of Mormon mythology, so be advised that there is a hidden agenda (exactly like Battlefield Earth == scientology).

[Of course, Dune == Islam as the premise, but the difference is that Glen Larson (original BsG) and John Travolta (movie version of BfE) were actively trying to promote their sects, whereas Frank Herbert (Dune) wasn't.]

10. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

The original BSG had Mormon overtones, but there's no such agenda with the new one. They've kept SOME names and mythology, and introduced a lot of their own. If you want preachy, see how Orson Scott Card has evolved :eek: There's nothing like that going on with the new one, any more than Lord of The Rings is trying to convert anyone to Sauronism :)

As for Star Trek... well there's always something fun about the classics. But there's room for bigger and better too :)

11. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

OK on the basis of these recommendations I'm going to give BSG a try... I totally forgot about BSG from the early 80s. hmm...

Yeah, Kirk is a maniac but his acting is so bad it's endearing. I think it's the bad acting I liked so much about TOS.

YT

12. Palad1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Don't worry, you'll get plenty of bad acting out of Starbuck...

I was quite glad at episode 18, then episode 20 came by and ruined all the fun ;)

13. bobbyboulders macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

hey Nagromme, i guess im following you around....i Just posted on the official bsg thread asking who sang this version and where i can obtain it. Well i guess i got my answer as to who sang the song....bt4? i really havent heard of him/them before, who are they?, are they well known?

what do you mean, exactly....I've just gotten around to reading 'Enders Game', as per a friends recommendation. Thought it was an interesting book, but also very preachy. I wanted to read the rest of the series, but if be 'evolved' you mean the 'preachiness' gets worse and worse...i might as well not read them...

haha yea, he is at his best when.........he............pauses...........b/w............every word

14. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

The song was arranged by Galactica's composer, performed just for the show, as near as I can tell. But seasons 1 & 2 got soundtrack albums, so hopefully season 3 will too. (I never heard of bt4 either, but he does have stuff on iTunes I see.)

Re Ender's Game: great book, I loved it years ago--didn't notice the preachiness myself but maybe if I read it again I would. It's followed by some really good sequels. Including some that go back to the time of Ender's Game itself. Those are fun too--but they start to get into a conservative (and I'm guessing Mormon-driven, but many faiths would agree) preachiness re family and marriage and having kids. I'm all about lifetime commitment, but I have a broader view of the things that can make up a healthy family, and in fact I think that pressure to become a cookie-cutter nuclear family can grievously harm people whose lives and loves should lead them in a different direction. I guess it just comes off a little syrupy and 50s to me--in certain places. But beyond the books, Card has written some really sickening and deeply ignorant homophobic stuff. Read it and weep:
    http://www.nauvoo.com/library/card-hypocrites.html

I'm not sure I'll keep reading him. On the one hand an artist's personal views aren't relevant to the art itself. I'm sure there are lots of musicians and actors who I can be entertained by without 100% agreeing with their personal chocies. On the other hand, I feel like boycotting him. I suspect I will choose the middle path: if I read any more of him, it will be from the library :) BTW, if you're not sure how far to keep reading, the books Speaker For the Dead, Xenocide and Children of the Mind wrap up one series. The others go back and "start again" focussing on Bean. Personally, I liked Ender's Game more than the sequels.

Back on/T :D Re Starbuck... she's a grating character sometimes, but her acting (like 95% of BSG's acting) is far better than most you find on TV. Adama and Roslin cannot be equaled, of course, and Tigh does a great job too.

15. bobbyboulders macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

thats awesome, i really hope it is included in the upcoming soundtrack...

yea, im probably going to finish the whole 'Enders series'. i wont be satisfied until i do. And i do understand and agree with you on the whole out-dated view on family dynamics. If we don't evolve to something greater and more cohesive as a family, we are doomed to mundane acts and utter failure. Although i do believe an artists personal views Are relevant to the art, because the 'view' will find its way into the art (most of the time). But thats why art is so unique and can rarely be duplicated...that is precisely why i believe we view art...to be exposed to different ideas, ways of thinking (...side note: these are just my half assed views on the subject. i could go on but then everyone would be exposed to my art of bull*****ing;) )

16. bobbyboulders macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

You don't like starbucks acting?? I admit she isnt the best on the show, but she has more then enough shining momments (re: Scar, s2). The show has some amazing performances all around, but the ones that stand out in my opinion are Adama and Gaius Baltar...

17. Palad1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Starbuck's shining moment are usually scenes centered around her with very few interaction with other characters. It's a matter of taste I guess.

I really "liked" Appolo in the fat suit as well :)

Most of season 3 is best forgotten... So much drama in there, bet the producers had to hire additional writers coming from the days of our lives team ;)

Still season 3 opening and closing storylines are absolutely fantastic!

spoiler (higlhlight)

Galactica's in-atmosphere jump... pure joy! Got me on my feet cheering for the rescue party, like a kid :)

18. LtCarter47 macrumors regular

LtCarter47

I came across what is apparently Bt4's blog, where he talks in great detail about the song. Check it out, at the end he mentions it will definitely be on the season 3 soundtrack out in mid august.

http://www.bearmccreary.com/html/blog/blogmain.htm

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

nagromme, I'm impressed. You're like a BSG superfan.

20. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

And on that note... the blog is Bear McCreary's (BSG series composer). Bt4 is the singer. Thanks for the link--good to know that song will be coming! I hope it's a full extended mix with the non-vocal stretches too. The Indian style giving way to electric guitars worked really well.

BTW, the Beyond the Red Line BSG game is worth checking out. Free and very authentic--music included.