All Apple Developer Services Back Online after Hack, Apple Offers Free Month Extension

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 10, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    After over three weeks of at least partial downtime, Apple has informed developers that all of their developer services are now online. Apple is giving all developers an extension to their developer memberships by one month to account for the downtime. From the email to developers:
    Apple's developer center originally went offline abruptly on July 18th. It was later revealed that the developer website had been hacked and that Apple could not rule out some developer information may have been leaked. Apple has been slowly restoring services since that time.

Article Link: All Apple Developer Services Back Online after Hack, Apple Offers Free Month Extension

2. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

Good news and time. At night.

3. macrumors member

Nice work apple! :)

4. macrumors G5

Macman45

Finally...The page shows ALL services running normally including FT which has been woeful for weeks. Downloads from the cloud are still very slow though. We finally finished downloading all our Cloud content to the media server last night ( it's had a re-build, new LB etc ) And it's taken 2 days...:eek: I know Apple's policy is to throttle them back in order to give all a fair crack, but they were faster before the latest outages. I hope things now return to normal.

5. japanime, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013

macrumors 65816

japanime

Glad everything's in working order again. The one-month extension doesn't seem particularly generous — six months would have generated more of a "wow, thanks!" — but it's better than nothing.

6. macrumors 6502a

Seriously. One month covers the down time. Even two months would have been better to help migitate some of our losses.

7. macrumors 601

HiRez

Glad everything is back up and go on them for at least extending accounts for a month (although those 3 weeks really, really sucked). Still would be nice to know exactly what happened, and exactly what was compromised.

8. macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

"We've been working around the clock to change our passwords from 'password' to 'newPasswor—nope, not this time!"

9. macrumors member

Developer Program activation doesn't seem to work yet, hopefully they fix that. My Mac program was activated within minutes before the outage, waiting a few hours already for my iOS program activation now.

10. macrumors 68030

needfx

it should have been 1 month for the downtime + 1 month for the inconvenience

apple is cheap sometimes

11. macrumors member

ric275

Seriously!? We had 3 weeks downtime! An extra month is more than enough to cover it! Is Apple being cheap or are we being greedy??

12. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

Not greedy one month of down time and a month for any inconveniences that have arrived from the hacking is more than fair and far from unreasonable.

13. macrumors member

Got to be greedy to win it..

14. macrumors 65816

Tankmaze

cool stuff!!
    Apple has to made the developer section up before any developers release iOS 7 compatible apps.

15. macrumors member

Check to make sure your Mac Program renewal is still there. I renewed the day before the outage and now it says I need to renew again. Data loss, anyone?

16. macrumors 68030

needfx

imo, they are avoiding inconvenience reimbursement as a "not out fault" statement

17. macrumors 65816

jnoxx

*************, new accounts still ain't working, if you want to register it, you jut get forwarded to "restricted" area's, total BS. A company like Apple spending 3 weeks on "security", I don't buy it. The communication was really really bad, if you asked any questions via mail it took over 1 week to get an automated response. This really pissed me off after being a developer for over 3 years for iOS, it's like they don't even care.

18. macrumors regular

I'm glad you don't always get your own way.

19. macrumors 68030

needfx

I'm guessing you're on the apple payroll or something

no other reason you'd care

20. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

This is a good point. The yearly developer cost is relatively cheap. An extra month for inconvenience and goodwill would not have cost Apple much.

21. macrumors member

Two months is exactly what I was thinking would be appropriate.

22. macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

It is people like you that make me furious to even go on MacRumors anymore.

23. macrumors 68030

needfx

your apple stock would not plummet should they have handed out an extra month

moreso, the coolaid you've been drinking has a lasting effect. be reminded that apple is a corporation and apple is the only corporation being forgiven for their missteps...by it's fans

ps
    I wouldn't miss you. please feel free to never log-in again. thanks

24. macrumors 65816

Developer services were down, but apps were still live and earning. 1 month extra seems about right on average. Of course it hurt some more than others, but there are too many accounts to make individual assessments.

25. macrumors 68030

Right on! Free month!