Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
it should have been 1 month for the downtime + 1 month for the inconvenience

apple is cheap sometimes

Developers entered an agreement to pay $99 for 12 months access. The access was down 3 weeks, so all they were liable for was 3 weeks. Anything else above and beyond that is generous by Apple.

Apple gave 25% more than they had to and people think Apple is cheap! If I had lousy customers like Apple has, I don't know what I'd do!

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Developers entered an agreement to pay $99 for 12 months access. The access was down 3 weeks, so all they were liable for was 3 weeks. Anything else above and beyond that is generous by Apple.

Apple gave 25% more than they had to and people think Apple is cheap! If I had lousy customers like Apple has, I don't know what I'd do!

apple's generosity should be documented in the guinness book of records

gimme a break

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Talk about cooperations being greedy! They are made of people and people are just as greedy. It really doesn't matter if it is one month, 2 or 6. People would still complain that it should have been more.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Wow, who cares about a month or two of free membership? The developer membership is so ridiculously cheap compared to the cost of actual software development that worrying about it is a glorious waste if resources.

Even if you did have significant losses (or any at all) due to the outage, don't tell me that another 8 bucks saved would have made *any* difference.

The 99$ aren't charged for the developer center anyway (most of which can be accessed for free). They're to make sure you are serious about development and don't just want the betas.

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
Finally...The page shows ALL services running normally including FT which has been woeful for weeks. Downloads from the cloud are still very slow though. We finally finished downloading all our Cloud content to the media server last night ( it's had a re-build, new LB etc ) And it's taken 2 days...:eek: I know Apple's policy is to throttle them back in order to give all a fair crack, but they were faster before the latest outages. I hope things now return to normal.

Sorry what is FT and where is that on that list of developer services? iCloud as a service was never affected, mine has worked as poorly as it ever did :).

----------

The access was down 3 weeks, so all they were liable for was 3 weeks. Anything else above and beyond that is generous by Apple.

Apple gave 25% more than they had to

33.3..% actually.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
phishing spam

Now that Apple's systems are back on-line, I'm getting a spurt of fake email asking me to log into my Apple ID. Looks to be from multiple countries and in languages that I can't read. Related?

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Glad everything's in working order again. The one-month extension doesn't seem particularly generous — six months would have generated more of a "wow, thanks!" — but it's better than nothing.

such a sense of entitlement.

----------

*************, new accounts still ain't working, if you want to register it, you jut get forwarded to "restricted" area's, total BS. A company like Apple spending 3 weeks on "security", I don't buy it. The communication was really really bad, if you asked any questions via mail it took over 1 week to get an automated response. This really pissed me off after being a developer for over 3 years for iOS, it's like they don't even care.

three whole years? I bet Cook has you on speed dial!

----------

I'm guessing you're on the apple payroll or something

no other reason you'd care

absurd. plenty if reasons -- one being reading all the whiny youngsters on here who feel the world owes them everything. sorry it doesn't always work out like that.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Two months is exactly what I was thinking would be appropriate.

had it been two months you'd have asked for three (one for each week).

----------

be reminded that apple is a corporation and apple is the only corporation being forgiven for their missteps...by it's fans

you're high -- apple is held to an extreme double standard by the press and it's critics, for every little perceived fault. after the supposed antenna problem with the iphone4 (which didn't actually affect many people at all -- still using ours with no problem), apple proved that similar interference happened with other phones too, but nobody cared. they only wanted to see the mighty fall. take the new google nexus 7 tablet -- it has a defective GPS system yet nobody is running that on the nightly news. etc....

----------

apple's generosity should be documented in the guinness book of records

gimme a break

you didn't argue the points made. 1/3 more than obligated to, yet still you complain. just admit it -- a sense of privilege and entitlement come easy these days.

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
Now that Apple's systems are back on-line, I'm getting a spurt of fake email asking me to log into my Apple ID. Looks to be from multiple countries and in languages that I can't read. Related?

Probably not. The w*nkers who toss out this constant spam just target the spam towards the latest attack or perceived issues. They send it to everyone because sending spam is free and they'll get a hit now and again.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
This is nice but my developer account still shows as not enrolled. I paid for it in July before the hack and I've made a support ticket that's still not been responded to. Anyone else having this trouble?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Nice gesture.....

from Apple extending memberships a month over this hack. But without knowing the extent of information compromised, I would hate to know some time in the future, that ongoing projects made by people that put a lot of effort and money on them, become "pirated" or "sold" in some oscure corner of the Internet.

I would held responsible the "security expert" what went public claiming his is this work......:mad:

Praise to Apple to redesign the site and hopefully they had done a sucessful, improved and more efficient deployment of security......

:):apple:

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I honestly can't believe what I'm seeing with all the whiners here. Please tell me that none of you are actual adults.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
had it been two months you'd have asked for three (one for each week).

----------

you're high -- apple is held to an extreme double standard by the press and it's critics, for every little perceived fault. after the supposed antenna problem with the iphone4 (which didn't actually affect many people at all -- still using ours with no problem), apple proved that similar interference happened with other phones too, but nobody cared. they only wanted to see the mighty fall. take the new google nexus 7 tablet -- it has a defective GPS system yet nobody is running that on the nightly news. etc....

----------

you didn't argue the points made. 1/3 more than obligated to, yet still you complain. just admit it -- a sense of privilege and entitlement come easy these days.

So many people are happy with bare minimums, no wonder everything is going to hell.

----------

absurd. plenty if reasons -- one being reading all the whiny youngsters on here who feel the world owes them everything. sorry it doesn't always work out like that.

apple owes it's success partially to its developers, no?

once again fanboism overrules common sense

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
What possible "inconvenience" could you have had? Just curious

how about personal/company/user data potentially in the wild

or how about your project simply being set back by approximately 3 weeks with salaries & expenses running. all fanboys in here are on the safe side but they never consider that time is money in the real world.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK

I am not sure I agree with you. If one of my business tools I run was down for 3 weeks I'd likely not have a job. And even if something like my email account was down for 3 weeks (which is free) id change providers. So I really don't think 2 months is an unreasonable expectation? Or am I missing something on this?

Cattastic

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2013
Apple gave a month for a few weeks of downtime "to protect your information from being stolen". People who want more are the kind of people who think they are entitled to everything.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
I'm trying to log into the iOS membership area and end up in the Mac one. Then somehow in my later interaction got a screen as if I was logged into the iOS area and got to the iOS 7 preview downloads. This is with an unpaid account this was associated with a corporation just before the downfall of the site.

Wouldn't say it is fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.