ALL CALL HELP: Problems putting my HHD in an external Enclosure

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by walkingmac, May 4, 2006.

1. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

I have a Mad Dog external HHD enclosure that I was wanting to put my HHD from my older powermac into. However I am getting no where. The setup is straight forward but I can't get it to work with either the Firewire or USB connections. Anyone know what might be doing it? Does it need to be setup either as master, slave, none (tired all)? Please help.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Master. Cables all hooked upto the HD? Power hooked up to the HD? Does the HD spin up when you turn on the enclosure? Is the enclosure bus-powered or does it have it's own power supply?

3. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

master.. ok... yes to all your questions and it has it's own power supply.. thoughts?

4. lieb39 macrumors 6502

lieb39

Does the Disk utility see it at all? What about the System profiler?

I would stick with the Firewire side of it - seems to work better. What's your machine?

Cheers,

lieb39

5. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

thanx... as it tuns out after doing more research on this product it basically SUCKS. Even the people who like it says it works only 50% of the time, doesn't daisy-chain, and is poorly supported. I decided to take it back and go with a MacAlly version.

6. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

Pretty sure the abbreviation for harddrive is HDD not HHD. Unless HHD is something else.

Sorry, just had to point that out.

As to la problema, could just be a bad disk, unless youve used it before, and it just doesnt work with USB/FW. IF its the latter, it sounds like a firmware issue.

7. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

ive got one (the mad dog hdd enclosure) and the first one was trashed, horribly scratched and cracked. Replaced it and put my 250gb hdd in didn't work on my mac. Went to my windows machine:eek: formatted with an app, wish i could remeber it, into fat32. once my mac saw it, converted it to osx extended amd its worked great ever since.

8. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

yes... my mistake on the HDD. Well, my new enclosure from MacAlly came in and my mac's saw it no problem. Basically, all the reviews I read in hindsight were dead on and that the Mad Dog enclosures were crap (at least on the mac). Specially since they don't daisy chain and I am looking for a system where I can connect multiple enclosures. I ordered more today and basically am saying this is the option that worked for me and the Mad Dog did not.