All Camcorders Mac compatible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jophassa, Mar 30, 2006.

1. jophassa macrumors newbie

jophassa

Hello. My first post in these fine forums.

I just bought a new Mac Mini from ebay primarily for Movie editing on iMovie.

I am, naturally, now looking for a camcorder for making my films but the only niggle I am having with looking for a camcorder is if it is MAC compatible.

So I thought I would come straight to the professionals and ask them: are all camcorders Mac Compatible? If not, are there any particular brands which are?

Thanks in advance...

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Look for a camcorder with FireWire/iLink/IEEE1394/DV out (they all essentially mean the same thing) to guarantee compatibility. If it only has USB, there's a chance it won't be compatible.

B

4. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

As long as they have a firewire port they should work fine.

5. jophassa thread starter macrumors newbie

jophassa

WOW!

this is the fastest responding forum ever! Thanks!

I am a frequent visitor of a xbox360 forum and never have replies been so speedy!

i will take a look at that list and look out for those cable requirements. cheers!

6. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

All with FireWire are compatible with Macs, in fact I've yet to find a video camera that isn't FireWire compatible. If you are looking for a brand to buy I suggest Canon's Optura line.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

A good example of an incompatible camera are the Sony mini-DVD camcorders. AS they are MPEG-2/DVD based they don't work with iLife well at all.

I agree though that as long as you stick with miniDV you're almost guaranteed Firewire.

B

8. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

yeah i hate them DVD camcorders , not my taste at all

9. jophassa thread starter macrumors newbie

jophassa

Yeah, they have to be the worst idea ever! even people shooting home movies will want to edit what they have taken, surely??

It is an over-hyped idea that is totally unnecessary. I think that mini-DV provides unparalled image quality for that price range.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

ALL CAMERCORDERS WITH FIREWIRE ARE NOT MAC COMPATIBLE!!

Sorry for the all caps, but I didn't want someone to purchase a camera based on incorrect information.

Check out the Sony DCR-IP5 for an example. It has an iLink port (Sony's name for the 1394 standard which is Firewire). It is not supported by OS X. (If anyone knows how to get it to work with OS X, please let me know. Otherwise, it works great with windows). I'm sure there are others that don't work either.

11. jophassa thread starter macrumors newbie

jophassa

hmmmmmmmmmm. that makes my revision even harder. i suppose it is good that i won't buy an incompatible camera. it is a bit annoying that some are and some aren't Mac compatible but i suppose i will just have to look harder.

can anyone recommend a specific Mac compatible camcorder? Thanks

12. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i'm using a Sony dcr-hc19e right now and it works fine ( will be upgrading to a 3ccd cam soon)

13. jophassa thread starter macrumors newbie

jophassa

yeah, i was considering a 3ccd camera but i dont think i can justify it.

maybe once i win my first golden globe award i might splash out on a JVC 3CCD.

PS. thanks to the admin dudes for correcting my name so fast!

14. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

JVC are about to release one for around £500 ish mark in April can't remember the model number but that looks to be very good IMO

15. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

There were a few threads on this in the Video section here at MR since I can't remember the exact models that people have bought as of late. Also you may want to look at www.camcorderinfo.com just for extra input on the camcorder itself (quality, good buy or not and so on).

16. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Canon is working on a low-cost HD cam, I would wait for that if I were you.

17. jophassa thread starter macrumors newbie

jophassa

Thanks for that link, Artful.

Tom, yeah, there is a JVC 3CCD tiny black camcorder which i was looking at, but i decided that I would be better spending half the cash and getting accessories like Filters, tripods etc.

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Good point. I remember struggling with a firend and one of those MicroMV cameras.

Basically stay away fom Sony. ;)

B

19. jophassa thread starter macrumors newbie

jophassa

20. jrmell macrumors newbie

Panasonic video camera SCR-H250

Just bought this camera and it won't work with my new Imac 20 inch. Not compatable. Can download via USB to the Desktop but cannot transfer into Imovie. Tried all sorts of conversion programms but no luck.

21. jrmell macrumors newbie

Panasonic video camera SDR-H250 3CCD HDD ( 30 gb)

Just bought this camera and it won't work with my new Imac 20 inch. Not compatable. Can download via USB to the Desktop but cannot transfer into Imovie. Tried all sorts of conversion programms but no luck.

22. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

That's because it's a hard drive camera, it doesn't record to a standard. It records to a Panasonic proprietary format that needs to be converted with the supplied Panasonic application.