All Dinosaurs may have had feathers.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MorphingDragon, Jul 3, 2012.

1. macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/341948/title/All__dinosaurs_may_have_had_feathers

2. macrumors 6502

All of a sudden, the dance moves that go with the song "everybody walk the dinosaur" take on a whole new meaning.

3. macrumors 6502

I think there's a lot more to be found out about this... I've never really understood how dinosaurs went extinct everywhere (regardless of size) and other creatures survived. Now, I know it's contentious but the idea that birds are little dinosaurs has a certain logic?

4. macrumors 6502

They're definitely mini dinos. All you need to do is look at them.

5. macrumors 6502

I agree. I've got quite a few fossils - one of them is a very small reptile (Triassic), and if you saw the original bones lying on the ground you'd swear it was a bird.

6. macrumors 603

notjustjay

I was watching the Jurassic Park movies again recently and remember reading on IMDB that they changed the design of the raptors between the second and third movies to reflect new research that suggested they had feathers.

7. macrumors 65816

Mousse

I've been of the opinion that birds were descended from dinosaurs for decades (back when I first saw the famous fossil of the Archaeopteryx). Big dinos dying out makes sense, since their energy requirement would have been enormous. Smaller dinos (those I believed evolved in to birds) should have been able to scrap enough resources together to survive.
    A catastrophic event that wiped out the ALL the dinosaurs, but left mammals and insects alive? Makes no sense to me. The only way I can see that being true if someone targeted the dinosaurs for extinction and hunted them down to the smallest specimen after hurtling a meteor at the Earth.

8. macrumors 6502

Did anyone here read 2000AD as a kid? (Don't know if it sold anywhere other than here in the UK?) There was a great strip in which hunters from the future went back to hunt and farm dinosaurs for meat... That extinction explanation made more sense to me as a 12 year old than ideas of mammals eating their eggs that was doing the rounds in the 70's.

If they had feathers they probably tasted like turkey in my book... ;)

9. macrumors 604

chrono1081

I remember hearing this around 1995 shortly after Jurassic Park came out (in 1993) and it made me sad so I like to pretend all dinosaurs look the way they do in Jurassic Park :p

10. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Somehow, a big fluffy Tyrannosaurus Rex just doesn't have the same 'bite' does it?

(And yes, I did have to look up how to spell it).

11. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

This makes no sense. When I play Carnivores, they don't have feathers. :confused:

12. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I remember that – the strip in question was called Flesh.

13. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Great idea for a thread, and thanks for posting this fascinating piece of information.

Yes, that theory has been around for a while and it seems to make a lot of sense.

Yes, I remember 2000AD - a great comic book. Used to read it regularly......even when my kid brother used to buy it.

Lol - I hear you, and must admit that you have a point. ;)

14. macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Yay! Feathers!

15. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Perhaps not, but if one was chasing you I'm sure you wouldn't be thinking how fluffy it looked.;)

16. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yay! Strip!

17. Guest

Sorry but this is a bit incorrect. It adds to the thought that all the Theropods, a subclass of dinosaurs from which birds ultimately evolved, had feathers, it doesn't prove that all dinosaurs, i.e. also the other big subgroup of dinosaurs the Ornithischia (Ankylosaurus, Triceratops, Stegosaurus) had feathers. In fact it doesn't even prove that all Saurischia to which the Theropods belong had feathers, the Sauropodomorpha (Diplodocus, Bronto/Apatosaurus) the other big subgroup of Saurischia, at this point is not thought to have had feathers but an Iguana like skin appearance.

18. MorphingDragon, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012

thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Well then tell News Science, I'm not a paleontologist or a biologist.

19. Guest

Someone already did in the comments section. Otherwise I would have. Half educated journalists, as usual......

20. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

Or not so little dinosaurs in some cases....
    [​IMG]

21. macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

Well, that's the thing. They didn't go extinct everywhere regardless of size. The smaller bird-like dinosaurs DID survive... and evolved into birds! And if that seems a bit oddly specific, it's partly due to their size and some other adaptations, but also do to their majorly useful adaptation for flight. The only dinosaurs that survived were the ones that became birds.

22. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

That would be scary in reality but in picture form it's just so funny. Like having an enormous chicken hunt you down lol.

23. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

We were smarter then.

Well, at least the ones that survived to reproduce.

What happened to that laudable system, anyway?? :rolleyes:

24. macrumors 65816

Very interesting :) thanks for posting that

25. macrumors 65816

impulse462

It's pretty interesting.

If you look at the fossil/structure of the foot of a T-rex and compare it to modern day birds, they are eerily similar as well.

My biology prof in college thought he was the reincarnation of Charles Darwin, and he hammered the fact that birds and dinosaurs probably shared a common ancestor that neither of them shared with crocodiles, which is probably why birds and dinosaurs are similar, structure wise. I havent read any data relating to the DNA or proteins comparing dinosaurs or birds, but they probably have some similarities as well.

It probably took thousands of different species to get differentiation between the two, but the fact they share some key similarities is what makes it so interesting in my opinion.