All hail the gMac !!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Marathon4ever, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

Apple is teaming up with ATI to create a gaming specific iMac. At least, that's what Mac OS Rumors is reporting, but if it's true then very good things are on the way for Mac Gaming.

This gaming Mac would be the king. We're talking Intel Core Duo processors at 2.4-2.8 Ghz, and dual ATI X1800 and X1900 GPUs on a 16-lane PCI Express bus.

This is totally my Mac when it comes out.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

3. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

Mac OS Rumors has a terrible track record, and has never gotten anything right in my memory. Disregard it, though it would be kinda cool.

4. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I won't believe that until I see it. Intel Core Duo at 2.8GHz is just so not going to happen.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I wasn't even aware that Mac OS Rumors was still publishing updates. I used to check the site regularly, but for most of the last year it seems like one update a month is a lot.

7. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

The gMac? That sounds lame. But, a PowerMac (Intel Version) would be a killer gaming machine. I can't see Apple introducing another line of machines just for games...

I say no to this one...when pigs fly!...or Mac :p I don't think either would get off the ground ;)

[​IMG]

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Whether or not the rumour has any truth behind it, one of the main problems behind creating a gaming Mac isn't the specs – it's the fact that the vast majority of games that are published for the Mac are released several months after the PC versions are. You could make the best specced gaming machine out there – but if the top titles aren't available, you're not going to woo the hardcore gamers away from their PCs and consoles.

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Or... not being able to custom build the gaming rig for < $ 2000 while upgrading the CPU, GPU, RAM, HD etc, every 6 months...

A CrossFire Dual-ATi X1900 XT seems cool now, but in 2007 it will be soooo '06-ish :D

10. Marathon4ever thread starter macrumors regular

It's a chicken and egg problem and you have to start somewhere. If Apple makes a gaming Mac, then games developers are more likely to look at the Mac platform seriously.

"If you build it... they will come"

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

That's true. But still the total amount of Mac games sold vs. PC games will be pathetic the first year orso. Which developer will start its OS X investment first? (I would hope EA games!!!!)

Maybe Apple should help a little. Get some "Mac-only" software titles out there... Give OpenGL development a boost... etc. They have the ca$h, now the will.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Seeing as though all console makers only see a profit from the software rather than the hardware and Apple are not likely to move into games publishing anytime soon the chances of a gaming mac is nil.....

13. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Apple has to get a bigger market share before game makers will consider putting out titles the same time they do for the PC. Once that happens then Apple might...might...consider making a "gaming mac."

And dont see it happening at all, not at least for another 2 years

14. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Good old gMac rumors resurfacing? Would be cool, Apple wouldn't need to keep the iMac thinness so you could fit a bit more power into it. PowerMacs are overkill for gaming well not on the Mac side but if you had one for PC's what a waste of $$$.

And most games aren't written to use more than one core so a dual core wouldn't be that great.

I think the 'gMac' name might ring true if we see a 'vPod'.

Also MacOS Rumors are ALWAYS wrong. Unless they copy TS, AI or MR or Ap.

I fear the taunting for the Winblows users.
    iMac = idiot Mac
    gMac = gay Mac?

15. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

The rumors about the G4 powerbooks with built-in toasters were more believable; at least they demonstrated very reasonably that such a thing could work.

This on the other hand....not so much.

16. risc macrumors 68030

risc

The king of what? The king of specs and no software? PUH-LEASE! :rolleyes: Oh wait you mean the king of remove OS X and run Windows on it so you can actually play games? I get it now. No wait ... one more time for the people in the back :rolleyes:

17. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I call BS. First, the Core Duo was designed to be a laptop chip. If Apple were serious, they'd be puttind in a desktop processor. 2nd, components better be upgradeable and replaceable... Serious gamers like to keep on the bleeding edge. An iMac encloser just ain't gonna do it. 3rd, I'll believe when I see it.

In any case, I am waiting for a Mac Pro... cmon Apple! :D

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That'll be great to play all of the five games available for Macs. ;)

I bet the amateur photoshop crowd will love that thing, though. Much cuter than a PowerMac and now with the brains to back it up! :eek: ;) :eek:

19. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

When did we get the fifth one? :p

This sounds about as likely as microsoft writing code that isnt bloated.:D

20. Marathon4ever thread starter macrumors regular

WOW. How can you even call yourself a Mac user?? Ridiculous!

21. Marathon4ever thread starter macrumors regular

It's interesting how you can come up with that number while I have about 20 recently released Mac games on my shelf behind me.

22. Marathon4ever thread starter macrumors regular

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Heh...it's called hyperbole. ;)

24. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Haha! I was going to post that animated gif...but, I made my own ;)