All hail the nanotech battery! 22 hours of MacBook battery ...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 31, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
    Link: All hail the nanotech battery! 22 hours of MacBook battery life; 400 hours of iPod use, 2500 hours of iPhone standby time!
    Description:: Imagine… what if you could watch 70 hours of iPod video on a single charge. (OK, wait, that actually, might be a bad thing).

Instead, imagine something more useful, like getting 22+ hours of MacBook use. Or 2500 hours of iPhone standby time. Such is the promise of Stanford University researchers who claim to have found a way to use silicon nanowires to improve the way lithium-ion batteries store energy, delivering a reported 10x boost in capacity.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Let's just hope these batteries aren't any more likely to go up in flames than lithium ion batteries already are (which isn't too likely unless you have a lemon or pound on your laptop with a hammer).

3. macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Hope it comes in 2008!!! :D

… make that Macworld San Francisco 2008!!! :p

4. macrumors demi-god

Manatee

That's a great breakthrough. I wonder what the timeline is for getting that technology into production?

5. macrumors 6502

So would you squeeze the lemon juice onto the battery, or is the mere proximity of lemons sufficient? just askin' :)

Who knew lithium and Citrus Gas would be such a volatile combo?

6. macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

This article reminds me of that episode of Diggnation where Kevin and Alex talk about a separate news section for things that "probably won't happen in our lifetime." While I'd like to believe otherwise, this might be one of those things our kids benefit from instead. :eek:

7. macrumors regular

BOOMBA

I think there's enough money here that this will actually happen relatively soon. (soon being 5-10 years). People are buying mobile (rechargeable) things at an alarming rate.
    Plus it sounds like the researchers actually are claiming the technology is almost ready for use already.

8. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This would be the biggest battery tech breakthrough in history. So far battery tech is the slowest moving of the modern electrical technologies.

9. macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

… but 22 hours of battery life for the MacBook is still just "okay" ;) :p

10. macrumors 6502

holy battery batman.. thats a long battery life

11. macrumors 6502

and gotta add that i love that macenstein site... the random mac chick is yummy.