All I hear is bad stuff about the MBP Core Duo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by glow9, Nov 1, 2006.

1. glow9 macrumors newbie

Is anyone actually happy with it and it not being a furnace? Seriously I just read 10 threads on this thing having problems and I'm thinking about a refurb but now I'm kinda scared off to maybe just get a MB

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Most of the posts are from people who complain about them. Threads of praise for the computer are rare.

My parents have one, and it is a really nice machine to use. It's more than fast enough for anything they or I throw at it, the screen is big and clear.

It is hot, though, and it has that whine noise. I'm doing some work at a local AppleCentre so i should be able to fix that up pretty quick.

If you are just doing small tasks, i highly recommend the MacBooks. They are plenty fast for the average user's needs, and they are really inexpensive. Rumors go that the C2D MBs will be released soon, so maybe hold out for that:)

3. XP Defector macrumors 6502

People complained about MacBooks overheating but compared to other laptops I've used (which were twice as slow and twice the size) it's relatively cool. My friend has a MBPro and it is awesome, and if I had the cash I'd definitely be picking up a new MBPro Core2Duo.

Not sure when the MacBook Core2Duo is out. Some people think days, others months.

4. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

yes, I am. I have a 2.16 2gb Ram with Glossy Screen. It runs great with no problems. It's been running about an hour as I have been surfing and such and current temp is 50 degrees C. I was looking at the new C2Ds but couldn't justify the switch as I am very pleased with how this one runs. The refurbs are a good deal and the prices are great.

5. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Yup there is a natural tendency for people to gather at message boards in order to solve their problems. If you go to ilounge.com, you would think Ipods are defective pos by scanning the threads overthere.

6. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

Whilst formerly ppl who had defective anything - would be heard the most (eg made it appear a product had more defective units than there really was in comparison to units sold etc).

I think these days, due to consumers having increased accessibility to 'publishing' that is the internet - I think this has changed. I don't think we can now say... only a small percentage of any product is defective - like the MB or MBP - we don't know anymore - as formerly only the die hard ppl would bother to chase things up - now we all can with ease.

I often see here ppl saying things like "only a small % of MB/MBP's are defective/overheating/staining/RSS etc" - but I don't think we know - it could be 85% of all 1st Rev MB's had RSS who knows - but I find it perplexing that ppl will defend macs (or other products) when a common problem emerges - like it's a given it only affects 5% or so etc

Glow9: MBP's have a heating issue it appears on 'x' number of units - it does seem though that the new C2D's have addressed such issues. The next revision of the MB's would similary address it's own issues too. But you could get a perfect refurb machine of either right now.

7. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

8. glow9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do they have the whine to begin with or does it start over time? Also do mac stores do the replacements?

9. Blublub macrumors newbie

If I already had one I'd be very happy despite the problems. That said, if you're coming in now I would definitely recommend spending a little extra for the C2D, if for nothing else for the redesigned vents that definitely keep it cooler and avoid a lot of the heat-related problems of the original.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

My Mom's has been running perfectly from day one, and she really makes heavy use of that system - much more than I assume a lot of people. That MBP basically runs the Anna B Skincare company almost single handedly.

11. 123dan321 macrumors newbie

Brand new to Macs - have had my MBP (2 ghz) for 3 weeks or so.

It's had the "whine" since the beginning - which I hardly notice anymore. The only time I do is when the room is absolutely silent, and even then, I don't pay much attention to it.

It does get hot, but I downloaded one of the fan control programs (forget which one, and I'm not on it right now), which helped tremendously - even without manually setting the fans to obscene speeds.

Those are my only "complaints." So far, I love it. Of course, the fact that my previous computer was a 4 year old Compaq laptop with floppy hinges, broken keyboard/power button/headphone jack/screen, and 40 minutes of fully-charged battery life may influence my opinion somewhat... nah, it's great.

12. TaylorB macrumors regular

The poor MacBook Pro. Mine is absolutely amazing and I barely see anything about how wonderful it is, so now is my time that I have to stick up for it. Simply amazing is my report. :)

13. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Mine is beyond amazing :) Other than a bit hot to put on your lap its great!

14. NJuul macrumors 6502

Mine have pretty much all the problems you have ever heard of, but it's still a great machine, and I use it for 8 hours a day. However, it's one of the very first (week 8), so if you get a late revision, it'll probably be fine.

15. atticus1178 macrumors regular

Mine has a lot of the first problems too, but I love it to death!

16. glow9 thread starter macrumors newbie

where is there a place to see the model numbers to find out if they were new or not?

17. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

If I did not read this forum, I would not know there is a problem. I do not have one, but we have one at work and two family members have them. Zero complaints - nothing but praise. So, now your 'All I hear..." is no longer valid.

18. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

19. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

20. pris macrumors newbie

i'm very dissapointed

all I can say is that I'm starting to hate my MacBookPro 2ghz. First problem - the battery recall ( my battery has not supported the heat, simply completely opened ( were able to see inside it!!!!! - very bizarre) and I had to wait almost 2 months to receive the recall battery (i'm in brazil) Cause of the heat and also the opened scared battery, my motherboard also died and had to be changed to a new one.

And today, after one month with new battery and motherboard, my computer now shuts down when I unplug the AC, battery is not working again and working with Photoshop is a test of stress!!! it's really slow!!!

Now I have only more 6 months of Apple Care and I am really thinging that the best for me now is to seel this computer...

MAc user since 6100 series, all a can say is that in veeerryyyyyyyyyyyy upset!!!!!!

21. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

I just sold my 17" Macbook Pro (Core Duo)
    No heat issues at all. No problem using it in bed with boxers on...
    My 15" was a little hot, but nothing that the smcfancontrol couldn't deal with.

I just ordered a new 15" C2D.. We'll have to see if it's any better.

22. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

I got mine in August shortly after WWDC. It works very well. No whining or mooing. It is very quiet.

Yes, it gets warm (not hot) but no laptop I have ever owned stays cool all the time. My Sony Vaio which is less than a year old gets way hotter than my MBP. I don't believe my unit is one with the well documented heating issue. It only gets warm when I am ripping dvds. I generally use safari, itunes, photoshop and aperture a lot and at the same time and have no problem with overheating.

My Core Duo MBP is an absolute pleasure to use. My colleague proposed to buy it off me so I could get the new Core 2 Duo but I am not interested. My MBP is a perfect unit and it is extremely fast.