All-In-One Printer Recomendations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wildroot, Aug 30, 2004.

1. wildroot macrumors newbie

I am looking to get an all-in-one printer that has faxing capability. Does anyone have any favorites or advice they can give me in choosing one?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What are you looking for...

Laser-based fax/copier/printer?

or

Inkjet-based fax/copier/scanner/printer?

3. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i am interested in one too.
    cosco has a HP printer-copier-scanner 2175 for 149,
    anybody has one? comments?

4. vkapoormd macrumors member

you first need to ask your self whether you want inkjet (color printing) or laser printing only; i have a Brother MFC-8420 laser (4 in 1, print, fax, copy, scan) (it has now been replaced with the 8440); it cost me about $400 at costco. It works very well, and i also got the optional network card, so i can print wirelessly from my Powerbook (which is very cool indeed); the one area where i have had problems consistently is scanning images into the computer-the software often crashes on both my machines, so it's a bug with the software. Fortunately, i have a separate dedicated scanner, so it's not an issue. I had also looked into the HP laserjet 3300 series (it has now been upgraded i think); but there were apparently some compatability issues with OS 10 (according to reviewers on CNET); other thing was, it started in the $600 and up range; if you want an inkjet type multi function machine, check out the HP's ( i think they probably have the biggest and best selection, and have gotten excellent reviews, and are a fair bit cheaper than multi function laser printers). Good luck.

5. wildroot thread starter macrumors newbie

Ooops, I forgot to mention that. A inkjet-based fax/copier/scanner/printer is the one I want.

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I would stay away from it. Hardware wise, it's a great product. My mom uses the PSC1210, which was the previous model, on her iMac. Prints and scans great. The software, however, is really poor. About every 20-30 minutes, some random app appears in the Dock and dissapears before you can even identify it. I know that sounds crazy, but I've traced it down to the HP software. About two weeks ago, I needed to use the scanner, so I installed the *lastest* HP software on my PowerBook and scanned away. A few hours later, I noticed the fan on my PB was on full blast. I took a look at the Terminal, and noticed the HP scanning software, which was supposedly "closed", was taking 80-90% of my CPU. Really poor software. I don't recommend any of HP's all-in-one units for use on the Mac.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think somebody mentioned that the one-touch scan/copy buttons were the problem.

The computer would always be polling USB looking for the touch of the button.

8. Darbydoggy macrumors newbie

Also, I've been researching the HP site about my all in one 2110 and found that the 2100 series all in ones will not work with the airport base stations (if that matters to you). My existing 2110 worked fine with my new powerbook locally - I just plugged it in the usb and used the priter setup and OS 10.3.5 found a driver just fine and printed great on the first try. (I didn't download the HP OSX driver and I havn't tried the scanner yet).

9. brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

Wireless

Yikes I seem to be having buyer's remorse all over the place.
    I just bought the hp 2175 I don't know whether to take it back
    I did want a scanner (but just found out there is one on the new imac)
    and airport.
    Does that mean it'll work if it's hooked up with a cable but can't work wireless or that it doesn't work with a computer that is set up for wireless?
    Brenda
    what a great forum!

10. scottwat macrumors regular

HUH??

The wireless printing modules on printers just gives them an ip on your local network, if you have an airport extreme or express or linksys base station, it can sit stand alone in a corner with just the power and the wireless plugged in and then you can print from any computer on your network wired or wireless. Now if you have an airport express/extreme you could plug the usb port into the base station and it be accessible to any computer on your network. Might have trouble with windows systems, not sure never tried it. or you could plug that print/scan/fax into a computer and share it out over your network, and all the devices on your network can still use it.

11. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I think you meant that there's a fax on the new iMac, not a scanner. But then, nearly any computer that can connect to a phone line can act as a fax machine, given the right software, so that's not as big as it sounds.

Printers with internal WiFi (AirPort) tend to be expensive. You're just as well off getting an AirPort Express to plug your printer into.

According to c|net, the HP OfficeJet 4215 is a very good multifunction printer/scanner/fax, if you don't need a flat-bed scanner.

12. brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

Ah, I shouldn't speak or type until I have had a cup of coffee.
    Yes I meant fax on the imac.
    I actually bought the printer because I needed a scanner and was thinking my imac color stylus 740i might not be lasting too much longer.
    I think I'll take it back and just get a scanner.

13. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

FWIW, the printer function works fine over AEX (that is my exact setup). What doesn't work (and I haven't tested it to verify it) is scanning over AEX. AFAIK, no AIO supports that.

Since I use it as a printer/copier, I haven't used HP's driver; just the driver built-in to OS X. No problems, and even has the right icon (well, pretty much).

14. Darbydoggy macrumors newbie

That's good to hear! I just want printing anyway (I can scan locally). Thanks for the info, the hp document doesn't give any specifics, it just says it won't work.

15. wildroot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the info. It's all very helpful