All in one printers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gdavid, May 4, 2004.

1. gdavid macrumors newbie

May 3, 2004
    Does anyone have a good all in one printer (print, scan, copy) they could recommend? I just want one for home use so not a really expensive model. Also I read somewhere that any printer can be bluetooth enabled with an add on and you don't have to buy a bluetooth printer, how do you do this and is it worth it or is bluetooth printing really slow?
  2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I really like my Epson CX6400 (USB 2.0 and 1.1) and the CX5200 (USB 1.1) before it, which my parents now have.

I don't have any idea about a bluetooth add-on.
  3. t300 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2004
    I too have the Epson CX6400 and can give it nothing BUT praise. It is really the great peice of hardware I have been searching for. I did get a Bluetooth adapter for it and it works seamlessly. A big plus to it is the media card reader on the front. It's so very simple and just quite beautiful. Scan. Copy. Print. There is nothing more I need. It prints GREAT photos on the Epson photo paper. I would totally second this notion and reccomend this printer...Plus, I got a 40 dollar Best Buy gift certificate with the purchase of it...That's ALWAYS good. :)
  4. JFreak macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    all-in-one printers are so microsoftish, don't buy them. apple style is to choose a scanner and printer(s) separately, and use them where needed. the digital hub, you know, connect devices to computer and not bundle them to each other.

just my opinion ;)
  5. cyks macrumors 68020

Jul 24, 2002
    Westchester County, NY
    Many people don't have the desk space to have everything...not to mention- it's sometimes nice to just be able to copy something without having to open a program, scan, and then print it.
  6. kaylee macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2004
    we have a HP All-in-One PSC2200 series. it appears that it has been updated because the series is not listed under the products page (still there under support though). its a printer/scanner/copier/fax machine, and it also reads four different types of mem card (i cant remember exactly which ones right now) - you can choose to print photos straight off the card, or print a sheet of thumbnails, mark the ones you want, scan the sheet in, and will print the ones you've marked. we've been really happy with it. the only problem is that its not network ready - but we just have it connected to the server and share the printer to the rest of the network. i cant really comment on bluetooth - i have never used bluetooth for anything, let alone a printer.
  7. Griffindor73 macrumors member

Jun 26, 2002
    Brighton, England
    I have an HP all in One, again with the card reader and, I have to say, for the price of it it's bloody marvellous!

I think the post about it being a microsoft thing and not very apple is just a tad pretentious and a little on the snobby side!

The HP also has very good support for OSX and comes with good user software.
  8. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    If you are just looking for a basic function all in one, I would recomend an HP as they excel more in the text printing basic stuff. If you want one that does incredible photos and scanning I would recomend the Epson RX 500 or RX600. The quality of photos on those are incredible.

Qualifications: I work at CompUSA and sell these things for a living and have been able to play with them all.
  9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Macintosh is all about simplicity and the all-in-one units are simple, not to mention capable. Using a scanner and a printer just to make copies requires many steps, similar to how Windows requires you to do extra things where Mac OS X just allows you to do it in a couple of steps.

When I need to make copies quickly, there's nothing etter than being able to punch in the number of copies and press the copy button.
  10. Foxer macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I've got a B&W Lexmark all in one and it's total crap. The scanner was OK, but copying and printing were slow and trouble-plagued. Then it just stopped working a couple weeks ago (after about 1 year of use). It only cost me about $50 at Circuit City, so I guess you get what you pay for.
  11. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

Nov 17, 2003
    How many photocopies will you make monthly?

If you're looking for a unit with more copy demands (more than the odd copy now and then) be sure to look at laser printers rather than ink-jets. The cost per page is MUCH lower. (I read an article by a graphic designer who used to keep a laserprinter around his office for B&W printing because of the expense of ink cartridges.)

The Brother MFC-8420 is a great unit for higher volumes that's won lots of praise in reviews. It's quite large, but if you need a heavier copy volume it has a top document feeder (good for both FAXs and copies), excellent zoom copy functions, and a top cover plate that lets you scan partial large documents (ie blueprint size documents).

The USB connection was simple plug and playfor my Mac, and I've hooked up Windows boxxes to it as well. I think there might even be a network option...

So if the size isn't a bother and you'll be using it on a regular basis, I'd say to take a look.