Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
How much longer until Apple overhauls the iPod naming conventions?

iPod shuffle - It now has buttons. The "shuffle" referred the buttonless one where it had two options: shuffle, or play one playlist.

iPod nano - It's not the smallest iPod. Especially now that the shuffle has buttons, it's not even the smallest full-function iPod. The "nano" was just to differentiate it from the now long-defunct mini.

iPod touch - It is no longer the only touch iPod. What makes it a "touch" but not the nano?

iPod classic - OK, I guess this name still basically works. Though unlike the other iPod names, "classic" doesn't describe it in any way.

Can you do better?
  • shuffle ->
  • nano ->
  • touch ->
  • classic ->

FixYouriTunes

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2010
San Francisco
I personally think the classic should just be called iPod!! Hello that's what it was called when it was introduced right?

But you are certainly right the names are a bit off. New names for sure but I really do have a feeling there's something new that's in store for us since they haven't changed the classic for quite a long time.

I think having a new thinner classic with a bigger hard drive (bigger than the current classic hard drive) is in store. A new iPod with a bigger screen, thinner, sturdier is what I think is in store. At least those are my wishes but I have a feeling it might be a reality soon.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
iPod shuffle - It now has buttons. The "shuffle" referred the buttonless one where it had two options: shuffle, or play one playlist.

You do realize that the shuffle having buttons is not something new right? The 1st gen had buttons, the second gen had buttons as well, they dropped the buttons for the 3rd gen, but people didn't like that so they returned the buttons for the 4th gen. So the name shuffle didn't refer to the buttonless one.

but I don't think they will change the names, it wouldn't make sense for them to do that. My guess is that they keep the current names for a few more years until the iPhone and other smart phones finish destroying the market for a dedicated mp3 player at which point the iPod will be gone.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
You do realize that the shuffle having buttons is not something new right? The 1st gen had buttons, the second gen had buttons as well, they dropped the buttons for the 3rd gen, but people didn't like that so they returned the buttons for the 4th gen. So the name shuffle didn't refer to the buttonless one.

Oh yeah, that's right. "Shuffle" referred to the fact that it didn't have a screen.

Still a pretty silly name, since all iPods can shuffle and that one does not have to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.