ALL mac users use Netscape Navagator 4.7!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by clubmedia, Apr 12, 2002.

1. clubmedia macrumors regular

well... this is what a guy told me tonight, and i really couldn;t believe he was saying this, and swearing by it... my question is... what browser do you use???

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Internet Explorer. Netscape 4.x sucks. That browser is evil. Whoever this guy is obviously doesn't design web sites...

3. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

no they don't
    netscape sucks from version 1 to 6, they are crap
    get some info before you post ****

4. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

...or have any clue about Mac users.

In 9 (way back when I used to use it) I used IE5. As much as I dislike M$, it is the best browser in 9.

Now I'm in X, I use OmniWeb. It's not real fast, but the features are great, and it's by far the best looking browser there is.

[Let the OmniWeb flame wars commence... again...]

5. clubmedia thread starter macrumors regular

thats what i thought! what about the rest of you?

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

To be honest I don't have a problem with any browser (besides Netscape 4.x and earlier.) I've never tried OmniWeb, mainly because doesn't it cost money? I'm a cheapskate. :D

To me, the only important things a browser needs is:
    1) FAST web page rendering,
    2) CORRECT web page rendering, and
    3) Unobtrusive, semi-nice-looking GUI.

As long as it provides those functions it's fine with me. Netscape 4.x didn't have any of those things going for it. Good riddance!

7. clubmedia thread starter macrumors regular

hey i know this, i use ie religiously, it is the best, but he was telling me the rest of the mac world doesn't, which i don't believe, thus the topic, i want as much opinion as possible, lets hear it

8. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Ha ha! everybody point and laugh at the cheapskate! :D Just kidding. I'm the same.

To answer your question, no. And yes. It's kind of like unrestricted shareware. You can use it, full-featured, for ever, but once every now and then when you open it it asks if you'd like to buy it.

9. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

sorry clubmedia
    my bad
    I should think first next time
    and I use IE alot
    but when I get my imac and OS X its omniweb or chimera all the way
    don't worry about it
    take care

10. clubmedia thread starter macrumors regular

no problem mac15, i am just trying to figure out how much of a problem it is that my website clubmedia.com is not displayed properly in netcate 4.7. to use this guys exact words "i am shooting myself in the foot big time by not supporting all the mac users on netscape 4.7, the majority of mac users"

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I used to LOVE netscape, 2 was the best, 3 was buggy as hell, 4+ is bloatware plain and simple. i never had any reason to dislike NS2, but then I never used IE at the time.

I stuck with Netscape till i couldn't stand it anymore, about 4.5 I think... 4.7 pushed me over the edge. Started using IE just "temporary" until Netscape came to, but they didn't... then about what, a decade later they skip a generation (i hate that) and now 6 is the worst piece of software ever.

Right now I'm waiting for a 3rd choice to come along, used iCab a long time ago, but it blew (Woz uses it, i hear)... Got Omniweb a month or two ago, but it's lack of features is making me wait until the next release. I look forward to making the switch :) I'll be M$ free once again...

pnw

12. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

MMMMMMMMM....

Mozilla

Love it, can't wait for Chimera to catch up!

13. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Well, here's some stats for you:
    Approximately 10% of the people that surf my web sites use Netscape. 4% use 3.x, 4% use 4.x and 2% use 6.x.
    And of all the visitors to my web site, only 5% are on the Macintosh platform, probably of which 75% use Internet Explorer.

Probably 1 out of 300 people will view your web site on a Macintosh using Netscape.

That guy shouldn't be shooting himself in the foot, but in the head... ;)

P.S. 500TH POST BABY! :D :D :D

14. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

no he shouldn't
    he should have worded his post better

and congrads on the big 500

15. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Yeah congrats H!

I like Netscape on Linux, cuz you can type whacky stuff into the location bar and it says:

What you talkin' bout, Willis?

Pure comedy.

16. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Thanks guys! :D

Funny thing is, my last name IS Willis! LOL.

17. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

LOL! That's great. You'll have to give up Mac OS and use NS on Linux just so you can see that message :) Or not.

18. clubmedia thread starter macrumors regular

<br><br>

why should i have to word something better that someone else said? i was simply saying what they said...

19. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

clubmedia

.......don't worry about mac15. he is a good example of why there is a law stopping cousins marrying.

20. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

netscape 6.2.2 is pretty good...

I think everyone should download Netscape 6.2.2... Its is MUCH better then the original Netscape 6/6.1...

Netscape 6.2.2 also has a nice interface (I think it looks better then omniweb) and is as fast as PC ie and compatible with most sites. The only thing is that is takes along time to start up, scrolling is horrible, and the tab bar seems sluggish sometimes but I hope they fix this soon :) .

21. King Cobra macrumors 603

For my web browsing I use Netscape 6.2.1, and hardly ever IE. My father used to worship Netscape 6 when I showed him. Now he is running IE.

Sometimes I use OmniWeb, but it isn't much faster than either browser. Then again, under dial-up, nothing works fast :)

But I do plan to upgrade to cable soon. We are not close enough to a DSL router/server, whatever it is, so we would be stuck with Cable as the fastest. I also plan to upgrade to Mozilla, once the betas are said and done.

In the time it takes to read this message, an Apple computer will have performed 15 billion more float point operations than a consumer PC.

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Netscape sucks!

I hate netscape, both from a browsing point of view and web design poit of view.
    It lays out framesets all wrong, and lots of cool javascripts don't run in it, it's crap! :mad: .
    MSIE allways :D !

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I use IE 5, on all machines for browsing. Netscape is showing its age and has lost a huge amount of market share, down to about 7%. But AOL is going to combine it with their software, so it might gain some ground back.

But I do use Netscape 4.75 for my email. I need to convert over to a new email program and I'm putting it off because its a huge pain, especially with all the mail I have.

Anyone got any suggestions on what to use?

24. blogo macrumors 6502

I use omniweb, it got the features that I wan't and all the other browsers are missing.

25. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I use ie 5.1 on both OS 9.2.2 and under OS X (10.1.3) both at home and at work. I can't remember the last time I used netscape on any system. I have downloaded the latest version to netscape 6 but haven't used it much at all. I found that I like how ie renders pages better then either netscape, mozilla, or anyothers made with that core. One example is how www.versiontracker.com shows up under either. On ie it's easy to see and read, the mozilla/netscape varients looks wacked.

I have tried mozilla, as well as omniweb and don't like either one. To me, you shouldn't have to make a browser act like another one just to get into web sites. Omniweb also has rendering problems, at least for more then a few sites I go to.

It all comes down to what you choose to use. I choose to use ie on my systems, even though I hate m$, and won't buy anything from them if there is any way around it (will never purchase m$ orfice no matter how many people use it, AppleWorks does everything I need).

As for the guy that told you how ALL Mac users use netscape... That is just plain wronge. Even if only one or two people refuse to use netscape, his statement is false. I would venture to say that ALMOST all Mac users have ie INSTALLED onto their computer, weather they use it or not. Unless they have either actively removed it, or chose not to install it after wiping their hard drive. It's all about what you like most, or hate the least.