all my fonts active... EVERY TIME I RESTART! why?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by walkingmac, Feb 8, 2006.

1. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

OK, I have about 2000 fonts. Everytime I boot up now every single one of them is activated and I have to spend like 10-15 min with my system and Fontbook trying to get all the non-essential ones turned off. What is wrong with this? (font files located in ~/Library/Fonts). PLEASE HELP

2. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

3. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

Please help... is this just a newb mistake or what. this does not make sense.

4. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

because no one has answered, i will try my best. mac os x stores fonts in 3! folders.

system:library:fonts

library:fonts

user:library:fonts

the system checks and opens all the fonts upon login. there are around 16 (or even less) system fonts (depending on your language preferences etc.).

imo, the system fonts (the 16 or so) should stay in the 'system:library:fonts' folder. delete (or at least backup) the fonts in 'library:fonts'. and keep your "favorite" fonts in 'user:library:fonts'.

another tip would be to deactivate all unnecessary fonts. you could easily update them in fontbook when necessary.

hope this clears up a few things.

5. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

with 2000 fonts you need a font utility. OSX comes with FontBook but its too slow. with a font utility its best to keep your fonts out of the system folder. just put them on the first level of your harddrive and name the folder "My Fonts". then use the font utility to manage them. if you put the in the system folder than they will load in the system at startup and have a very unresponsive system with 2000 fonts.

try Suitcase, or FontAgent Pro.

6. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

thanx redAPPLE & beatle888. I think what I am going to have to do is try and take all but my system fonts out and move them to a non-default folder. I was just wanting to keep certian installed and then install other fonts as I need them. For that I think Fontbook should work fine. Granted, it is a bit slow and slightly cumbersome compared to the commercial products out there. For me though, I am not looking at turning fonts on and off all day in a high traffic creative setting (for now). I used to use Suitcase and like that so when the time comes I am sure I will use it again, just until then is my situation. I just seems like a weird bug that Fontbook would not keep user setting across a reboot. I will update this for reference.