All my songs just dissappear from my iTunes...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thevans1, Jan 27, 2006.

1. thevans1 macrumors newbie

Jan 27, 2006
    Hey guys... I've been going mad with this latest iTunes.

Sometimes, when closing my iTunes and opening it up again, all the songs have just gone. They are still on the harddrive, but, I have to open them all up individually as the consolodation button won't work. I get this far:

click consolodate, but nothing happens.

I would appreciate any help... I'm sorry if this has been posted before, I did search a few pages and couldn't find anything.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    I believe the consolidation button just moves the songs to your Music folder. If all the songs are there, then it won't work. Just drag your entire music folder into iTunes.

I think you should try to get to the root of the problem. Check out this guide. Maybe you'll get some ideas. I'd repair permissions, delete preferences, and run scripts to start with.
  3. thevans1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 27, 2006
    What do you mean by deleting peferences? The repair permissions didn't do anything.

Also, how do you drag all the folders into iTunes? There is no iTunes folder to drag into. :confused:
  4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Take the folder with all the music (that you say is still there) and drop it in the browser window of iTunes (or directly at the Library icon inside iTunes). Or, in iTunes, choose File -> Import... and choose the outmost folder with all your music.

And if you don't have an iTunes folder inside /Users/yourname/Music/ then there's something severely wrong...

And I would also try to find out why this is happening.

Have you checked the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" in iTunes preferences -> Advanced -> General ?

Also, your not renaming your home folder (the /Users/yourname/ folder) from time to time, are you?
  5. thevans1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 27, 2006
    OK, thank you two very much. I feel completely stupid now. :eek:
  6. thevans1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 27, 2006
    That tab was not checked.. it's done now though. And no, I'm not renaming anything.

I posted this problem on the normal board I use (a tennis one) and other people have the exact same problem with the new iTunes update. They had also been forced to adding their songs back individually.

I thought I would ask on here since people seem to know what they're talking about. ;)