All-Nighter

Discussion in 'Community' started by PlaceofDis, Mar 28, 2005.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

So it is 5 a.m. here, in an hour or so it will be 24 hours since i slept last, and the weird thing is that i dont feel a little tired as of right now.

i had to stay up, even though im sick, to work on some papers that are due in a few more hours, and im not even done yet, darn it being sick!!!

at least i have yet to give in to tiredness and i think i will be able to finish everything without a problem with some luck!

im glad that this is my last semester as an undergraduate, hopefully when i finally decided on a Grad School i will have some better time management skills too :)

how often and how many all nighters have you pulled before?? im starting to get used to night like this myself....

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I used to pull all-nighters once a week, minimum. It was on Wednesday night.

However, if I had to do it twice in a week.....well.....you know what students say: "Sleep is for the weak." ;)

3. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I've never pulled an all-nighter, never had to (and glad of it.) I cannot imagine how difficult it would be...

4. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

you would be surprised, tonight for example i am not even tired after being up for 23 hours straight

other times it has been terribly hard to just keep my eyes open

i suppose it depends on your mood, health, and drive to get this stuff done

i dont know why im procrastinating here on MR, but eh, ill get my stuff done still (i hope)

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

All-nighters are noe problem, I do it before every exam, and often when papers are due... ;)

I also, over summer-breaks or other long periods of freetime, tend to go over to a 36 hour rythm, where I stay up for 24 hours and sleep for 12, quite naurally...

6. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Never did an all nighter for edu purposes.

Numerous Playstation nights. Fun, but hard on the eyes.
    I once did a 42 hours party stretch. Preparing, partying and cleaning up. It was a great party (and no synthetic drugs where used ;)). I did sleep 30 hours afterwards (with a few bathroom and drink breaks).

edit: good luck on the papers btw!

7. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

thanks, one down, half of one to go! w00t!

and that is quite a stretch there....no naps or anything in that 42 hours? i dont think i could go that long, ill probably crash for a few hours after my classes if i can because i will be running on empty by then

8. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

no naps, no
    i did have some bed-time, but that was with my (then) girlfriend ;).
    Maybe this upped my stamina to go on that day/night/day/evening (it was my first time, now it just makes me sleepy :D)

9. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

it did probably give you some euphoria and adrenaline that helped keep you going for that long

whew i just finished the two papers, an hour before my first class of the day too! great now i get to go try and stay up for three hours of classes back to back :eek:

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

if one procrastinates in undergraduate school and thus ends up pulling an all nighter, that is ok and you may even do fine from time to time

but with graduate school, time management is the key...remember everybody in a grad school class is used to being the best student in the class...at least in undergraduate school

when you get to grad school, you will see that the students push each other beyond that of the expectations of the class or professor

also, many graduate schools have three grades...A, B, and "take the class over again, usually at great expense"...he he...that type of intimidation certainly beats the procrastination instinct out of anybody if they had it in the first place

graduate school may not make you more employable, in most majors, but it will give you a great work ethic, or if you have a great work ethic, it will certainly boost it that much more

many people will claim that they worked harder in graduate school than in any time in their life

anyway, good luck when you get there

11. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

i have a good work ethic, its more that im bored with what i am doing right now and end up putting it off, im majoring in English and minoring in History, and its the same old song and dance in a lot of my classes, you can tell which classes i like because i always put my 110% behind em if not more

i was going to go for an M.A. in English, but i have changed that, i want to get an M.F.A. in Creative Writing because its what im good at and what i enjoy the most, it may be harder to get that PhD after the first round of grad school, but i think i can handle that

creative writing is what i really excel at, its what i have a knack for, even my creative non fiction teacher this semester sees it in our workshops, its easy for me to pick out the strengths and weaknesses of peoples essays, i can easily and naturally tell what needs to improve upon it....

now the trouble is finding a good M.F.A. program that i can get into in ChicagoLand.....

[end rant]

12. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Speaking out of personal experience - I wouldn't count on it, hehe.. I'm in my 6th year of arcitecture school and assume I'm gonna be doing an all-nighter tonight to gets stuff ready for our crit tomorrow... well, an allmost all-nighter, I allways prefer to get just one hour of sleep.

Now, get of the net and get your paper done. And good luck with it too...

A

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have the greatest respect for creative writing majors and how hard it is

i ditched being a business major after two years and went into being a creative writing major and then i washed out and ended up finishing in business...mostly because it was easier being a business major and i could do it...not too much math, not too much writing, and not too much reading

with creative writing, you have to have inspiration...and on tap

i just had spurts of creative inspiration from time to time but mostly i could not be consistent with it and that was my downfall...i met so many students who could write twice the material necessary for their degree and read twice the amount of reading scheduled for them by their classes...some of these students spent every spare minute writing or reading...even when they were between semesters

some english students could have started on a paper and ended up with the inspiration for a book which may have ended up being published and selling very well on the open market...i am sure some of our great books and screenplays started out as english assignments in a creative writing class

14. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

i write poetry non stop and have been since i was seventeen (now 21) i have amassed somewhere just under 1000 poems in that time
    obviously many of them are not even worth the time to read them, but i have definitely honed my skills by writing a poem a day for three years straight

inspiration is not a problem for me, by the time i am done with my three classes this morning i bet i will have written at least two more poems

last friday i wrote three in an hour, and they were decent too, if you want a sample of my work just check out the second link in my sig, i think they are fairly decent poems, especially Spring Warm Cold

i also want to teach though, which is why i want to get my PhD, so i can be a professor at a college/university, i think its a great environment and ive always like explaining things and having discussions, which i guarantee my classroom will be filled with

English is a passion of mine, but creative writing is above it, they go hand in hand and majoring in english has been great because it has helped me understand my own work better, even on these long all nighters :D

15. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I did one all-nighter and it was due to my power cord getting pulled out of my iMac at the time (don't ask I wasn't happy after that). I had everything on paper, just had to type it all out but I didn't think to save any of it, yeah all 35 pages for a research paper for a final 70% of my grade. On top of that I don't type fast at all. Well it never happened like that ever again to me, now it's save all the time and typed out days before it's due.

16. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Used to do them all the time as part of the studio engineer thing, I lost count of the number of times I'd crawl out of the studio into bright morning sunshine... I miss doing it so much, but I'll still be found editing and mixing stuff at 3 or 4 in the morning at least a couple of times a month, 4 is a bit of a cut-off now, I try to be in bed by 2 if I can help it, the old body can't take that kind of punishment any more.

I once recorded and mixed an entire album in 76 hours, we had about 6 hours sleep in that time, and never left the studio. :eek:

17. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

hmmm well i looks like staying up was poor planning on my part, i havent worked since last tuesday, and well i had yet to see the schedule for this week because it hadn't been made when i worked last, of course no one likes to call and let me know when the schedule is done....

i have to work at two...till nine....eek :eek:

i guess ill be up for a while yet even though i was dozing a bit in classes, i should get some food before i have to get out of here for work, great this just makes my day....

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

hey i read some of your poems

great stuff

i have an idea...put a short poem at the end of your signature each week or so

19. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

thank you for the compliment, and your idea is a definite possibility with some of my haiku poems

20. TheStockGuy macrumors newbie

No more sleepless nights...

I used to stay up all night writing papers or cramming for exams - but that is all behind me now :) I have my B.S., and MBA and lots of Certification Exam Certificates...

These days, I look at the clock and see it is 2am and think, "I should go to bed 'cause I have to get up in 4 hours..."

Good luck with school! It will be worth it when you are all done!

- TSG

21. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I've pulled a few 40+ hour days in my time, but the older I get, the harder it is to recover. I have also found that if I stay up for long stretches like that for more than twice a week or so, I tend to catch a cold or some other minor illness afterwards. Then it takes me about 3 -4 days to get back on track with my sleeping and to feel rested. But, when duty calls, I'm at it again... :D

22. brap macrumors 68000

Doing one tonight :rolleyes:

Nah, I'm catching a coach at 5am - there's no point in sleeping. Prolly get some study done on the way, have a nap between Milton Keynes and Northampton, and have a spot of lunch back home!

23. frescies macrumors regular

I believe the current world record for sleep deprevation is still held by Randy Gardner... 264 hours. Slept 18 some odd hours afterwords and was fine. Used pinball machines to keep him awake (he had an obsessive passion for them apparently)

24. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

More like "Sleep is for the week-end"

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm one of those that never pull an all nighter during school. Always felt the it was important to get a good night of sleep.