all nighters

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by islygon, Feb 12, 2002.

1. islygon macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2002
    Taylorsville, UT
    I agree,

The people on the design team at apple probably love their jobs, don't mind the occasional all nighters, and care about what they do. I work for a software company, unfortunately we use Microsoft software 100%, but we are small, we love our jobs, we know that a few times a year we will have to pull a few all nighters. They can actually be fun, you order some pizza, beer, soda, whatever, turn the music up REAL LOUD, and work until it is finished.

You would not want to do that every week, but they are fun and effective once in a while.
  2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Right on. The fact that they worked that hard for so long shows their dedication to the project and has nothing to do Jobs being an "ass", as claimed in another thread.
  3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    Would you work for 75 hours straight for an ass?
  4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    totally cool
    i depends on how nice an ass it was.

Big hairy man

Lovely woman ass like two peaches....yes
  5. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    Without him Apple would not exist, would you work 75 hours straight for your mac?
  6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    LOL, damn you took the words right out of my mouth. :D
  7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I think your an ass. I bet you have never even talked to steve jobs. How can you justify these claims? If you were getting big pay, and you had to stay up a LONG time, would you do it? I sure as hell would. If you dont like your mac enough, go buy a PC
  8. Taft macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    75 hours.

I've worked 75 hours straight for a product I shouldn't have cared about. So I figure if I could do it for some lousy chemical property estimation software I could and would do it for a product that I am passionate about.

And I hope the people working on OS X/iApps/Macs are passionate. If they aren't? Hey Apple one developer, very passionate about the Mac platform, willing to work for you!

9. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Sep 18, 2001
    Denver, CO

I think some of you guys misread (what I took to be) asurace's meaning in saying, "would you work 75 hours straight for an ass?"

I took it as a rhetorical counterfactual. That is, "If Steve Jobs WERE an ass, would people be jumping to work 75 hours at a stretch for him? Probably not, ergo he's probably not an ass."

I'm not sure I find this argument convincing, but that's what I thought he was saying.
  10. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    What Gelfin said. I was in no way incinuating that SJ was an ass. What I meant was that people probably would not work for 75 hours straight and not bitch if he was an ass. Therefore I don't think he is an ass.
    I have no intention of getting into a flame war so let's clear this up.
    I personally feel that the reports of SJ's constant quick temper are reports blown out of proportion by a few disgruntled employees (There may be some credit to the reports but for all we know they deserved it).
  11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    I bet I know what the people that worked those hours were thinking. Besides about what they were doing that is... two words... comp time. Either that, if they are not salary, overtime pay ($$$$$$$$$$$). That is the best motivator in the world. I would bet that if the people that worked on the project asked for extra time off (to recover) they would get it without any grief.

I have a similar thing at work. When I work excessive hours, which I do on occasion, I get extra days off. These are in addition to the vacation and personal days I get anyway. I also get to take time that I need for other things. Considering how the 'corporate work week' is supposed to be 35 hours (one of the benefits of a UK based company). I typically end up working 45-60 hours a week. Although not without being able to go home, get some sleep, and relax a bit.
  12. maclamb macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2002
    Northern California
    75 hours...

At NeXT it wasn't unusual to see engineers crahed out on the sofa - I was in customer services/support & even in there we would put in longer hourts... enjoyed the machine and software, for onething.
    Also, at NeXT Steve "forbid" any junk food - so only healthy munchies and suckies in the Kitchen.
    But, The Engineers "hid" a vendng machine of the usual stuff in the back by the rear door - where Steve never went. He "knew" it was there- but chose to ignore it. _ kept the crew happy...
    Plus many people I've talked toin recnt years have said he's mellowed out ..alot ....but YMMV
  13. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    i heard from a guy who works at apple that it took 9 months just to make the os X logo....
  14. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

Jan 1, 2002
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana