All of TechTV Fired

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Laslo Panaflex, May 7, 2004.

1. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Straight from Leo himself, all the TechTV staff have been given 60 day notices.

Link

This is really a sad day for technology, that station was really pretty good with usually unbiased views. It has been funny to watch Leo change from being a PC guy, to now being a pretty big mac head. Tis' a sad day for all.

2. macrumors 68000

atari1356

3. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Yeah, this isn't that surprsing, that doesn't mean hosts are necessarily gone ... they will make that decision over the next 60 days, its just the staffers ...

4. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Holy Crap!! Why isn't this surprising. I haven't gotten to watch it for awhile while I'm away at college, but it used to be my favorite channel.

5. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Holy Crap!! I love TechTV.

6. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Holy CRap say it aint so

7. macrumors regular

Might I ask why they're firing?

8. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It will be interesting to see what they do with the shows/hosts...

I tivo The Screensavers everyday and would really miss it.

9. macrumors 6502

Pismo

Morgan Webb is my favorite so I hope they're not getting rid of her. She's a geek and she's HOT. They need to keep Leo and Patrick and I guess everyone else can go. Is Sumi still there? I'm in college right now and we don't get TechTV so I have to wait until I get home to watch it.

10. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Looks like a relocation...

"Per the WARN Act (governing plant closings) all the employees of TechTV have been given 60 days notice. The San Francisco operation will be shuttered by July. 100 of the existing jobs will be posted for those willing to relocate to LA."

11. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Jessica Corbin gets my vote for the channel hottie. Leo is now only hosting "Call for Help", TSS is hosted by Pat and Kevin Rose, normally.

Sumi Das left TechTV for MSNBC and I'm not sure where she is now.

12. macrumors 68000

njmac

So does this mean that G4 and tech tv will merge to be one channel, or are they just relocating the Tech TV studio to L.A. ? The Screen Savers is a great show, and even with Leo gone Kevin talks alot about Macs.

13. thread starter macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

G4 and TechTV are merging into one channel. Comcast bought TechTV.

14. macrumors 65816

Dippo

NO!!!! It can't be true.

Why do they always cancel shows I really like. Not only shows, but the whole channel...what's next FNC??

I hope they keep The Screensavers and even CFH not to mention X-Play.

What morons would cancel an entire channel that has a dedicated audience??
    I could just slap them!

15. macrumors regular

16. macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

here's to hoping that the shows get brought back (in either their current form, or at least a similar one)! it was always a blast to watch while at home, and truly a great resource for all sorts of information. :(

17. macrumors regular

Now hold on....

You may want to read this G4/TechTV Merger FAQ before you jump to conlusions... Of particular interest is this:

18. macrumors member

Damn man I don't even like most of G4's TV shows except for Icons, Cinema Tech and maybe Pulse. I guess because Everybody on TechTV knows each other, it seems like a more friendly environment that I like. and of all the Shows on TechTV they kept Robot Wars, damn I hate that show, but thats just me.

19. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Oh man, I hate that show too, it's almost as bad as watching anything on TLC. We get Tech TV here on campus, but I rarely watch it except for when the screensavers are on.

20. thread starter macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Yeah, but the studios are being relocated to Los Angeles, so Leo and the gang have to be willing to move to keep their jobs. I really don't think that this new TechTV G4 split is going to pan out the way that they think. . . but I hope it does, I really like that station.

21. macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Common Tactic

This is a common tactic when a merger happens.

Basically what they do is "fire" everyone and immediately rehire them back for different salaries/titles/locations.

It effectively cancels their prior contracts and establishes new ones (for everything) with the new company.

Leo had a different situation, he had renegotiated his contract apparently right before/during the merger and the owner decided to cut him off with some kind of clause in his contract.

Anytime someone disappears from a show for a week or more, and no one comments on it like it never happened, iit usually indicates contract disputes or re-negotiations. Radio personalities do this all the time, taking vacations until their contract expires and either coming back or popping up on another station all of a sudden.

Anyone from the Phoenix AZ area might remember "Dave Pratt" on 98 KUPD, he bailed after nearly 20 years on the same station, took a vacation until his contract expired and popped up on an old-fart top 40 station.

The station decided he wasn't "hip" and "in touch" with the current Gen Y crowd and got some 20-somethings who did nothing but Howard Stern-esque d*ck and fart jokes all the time on air in his place. Boy, that was a brilliant move - listenership dropped faster than Courtney Love's head when near a line of cocaine.

It happens *all* the time. No big deal unless someone throws a hissy fit behind the scenes or Comcast gets really nasty publicly (calling the former cast idiots or something).

22. macrumors 65816

Dippo

Well I am glad they are going to keep The ScreenSavers. Even though most of the stuff they do is Windows based. They do sneak in Mac and Linux stuff every now and then, and they are just so much fun to watch.

Of course now all I need is to get the channel G4...huh, I wonder if it is even offered in my area :confused:

23. macrumors 68040

mac15

That sucks, Australia just got Digital Cable and techTV was a new channel now I miss out on the damn thing! We don't get G4 either

24. macrumors G3

Counterfit

ROFL!!! :D :D :D

25. macrumors 68000

Spock

I HATE ROBOT WARS!! I wish they would get rid of that show. It is almost as bad as Thunderbirds.