All or Nothing: Maxed out 2 GHz or stock 1.83?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ieani, Mar 19, 2006.

  1. ieani macrumors 6502a

    ieani

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2006
    Location:
    the states for now
    #1
    I have an order in for the 2GHz MBPro with 7200RPM but its going to cost me over $700 more than a stock 1.83 after Amazon rebate. Ill also get the Amazon one faster.

    I really do not have a budget. Any money I do not spend now will just be spent on college this fall or be put into a savings for my backpacking trip to Europe.

    I am a biology major so I will only be using my computer for typing and entertainment.

    I use my parents HP at 3GHZ with HT now, so if it would run at a similar speed as this does I do not think I would notice any difference.

    It would take me a little over two weeks of working full-time to make up the difference in price.

    I either want the completely upgraded system for all the speed benefits or the stock 1.83 with just an after market RAM upgrade for all the price benefits.

    Should I future-proof myself with the fully loaded 2GHz or settle for the 1.83GHZ and put the saved money towards something more rewarding?
     
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

    Chundles

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2005
    #2
    To be honest, if you don't have a budget the decision isn't exactly the money or the box. The 2GHz Core Duo will most likely run rings around your folks' 3GHz P4 machine as would the 1.83GHz one but there would be more rings from the 2.0GHz model.
     
  3. budugu macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2004
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #3
    Get the 1.83 one.
     
  4. ColdFlame87 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location:
    Woodland Hills, CA
    #4
    I Agree if you dont need it for any heavy duty work ie video editing, photoshop work, then get the 1.83, it will suffice your needs and from the looks of it youll get it a while before the 2.0. The extra 700 dollars can be used for anything else you want and may be more worth it as such.
     
  5. gman71882 macrumors 6502

    gman71882

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2005
    Location:
    Houston, Tx
    #5
    Low End 1.83

    If all your using it for is typing and entertainment then get the low end 1.83 Ghz machine and Spend the leftovers on something great.
    *** maybe the new video ipod when it comes out around April 1st****
    or a PS3
    or a Sony ericsson w800
    or a Flat panel tv :eek:

    tooooo.... much..... to.... buy... i need a better job!!!!!:D
     
  6. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    Location:
    East Coast, US
    #6
    I had both the 2.0 and the 1.83 (I ended up selling the 2.0), and I think the difference in speed is nominal.

    Use the $700 to buy a 20" widescreen LCD monitor, a wireless keyboard/mouse set, and some decent speakers so that you have a great home setup.
     
  7. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

    celebrian23

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2006
    Location:
    Under the sun
    #7
    I agree with everyone else basically. It's a waste of $700. There is nothing wrong with the 1.83, it's just the 2.0/2.16 are for those who are in more pro applications.
     
  8. godbout macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2005
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #8
    If I were you, like others have suggested, I would not "save the money for school" (who wants to do that!). Rather, you should buy cool stuff with it like a nice 20" LCD and a kicka** sound system for your room. The 1.83 is a nice machine and will do you just fine! One thing that is sort of cool about this mac that is often not the case is that it will actually get faster with time over the next year as UB's come out. Anyways get the 1.83 ;)
     
  9. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

    ieani

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2006
    Location:
    the states for now
    #9
    I already have a kickass sound system. I bought an infinity ts-350 5.1 system about two years ago. But its not coming to school with me. And I am not getting a monitor either as its a waste fo money for something I really do not need. I already have a wireless mouse, its a logitech v500.

    The only thing Im worried about is if in a couple years Ill regret not having gotten the faster machine.
     
  10. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

    Malfoy

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2005
    #10
    In a few years, I don't think those 170 mhz will make that much of a difference. :cool:
     
  11. munckee macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2005
    #11
    Or you could get an ibook/macbook for half the price and take a better and/or another backpacking trip...

    You'll remember that trip LOOOOOONG after your computer is a useless pile of metal and plastic. You've said yourself that you won't be using it to its potential, so why not get something that fits your needs AND saves you a chunk of cash?
     
  12. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

    ieani

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2006
    Location:
    the states for now
    #12
    Its not the processor its the VRAM and 7200RPM HDD.

    No, Ibook will have too small of a screen. And I do not want to be taking an LCD back and forth to college.

    I wish I knew my exact financial future now. I could if I do get the job I should be getting where my college is easily get the laptop and still backpack for a month. I went to Europe for two weeks last fall and stayed with some friends for free, which i could always do again if I am short on cash next summer.

    And I will not be using it to its full potential now, but will be doing so in two years most likely with the way computer technology progresses.
     
  13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

    BornAgainMac

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    Location:
    Florida Resident
    #13
    Get the stock 1.83. It will still do the job. Find some real benchmarks on the difference between the 7200 drive and extra video ram before you make your final decision.
     
  14. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

    Erendiox

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2004
    Location:
    Brooklyn NY
    #14
    For your needs, I would definitely go for the 1.83. Only while using pro applications or during extremely intensive use (ie. Rendering, heavy multitasking, etc.) will you notice any noticable difference between 1.83 and the 2.0 Ghz duo. Both are speed demons and I feel you won't regret saving $700 by going with the lower of the two. As a word of caution, though, I would be wary with going for cheap ram. If you're going to buy your ram from a third party, make sure you get it from a reputable seller and that it is ram configured for your system. A great site to get ram is: www.crucial.com

    cheers
     
  15. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

    ieani

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2006
    Location:
    the states for now
    #15
    I bought my RAM from the user topgunn, he had purchased it for his Imac. It is Mushkin brand.
     
  16. m-dogg macrumors 65816

    m-dogg

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2004
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #16
    Sounds like you've already made up your mind. Get the higher end model that you already have decided on.

    (for what it's worth, though, I'd just get the low end if I were you).
     
  17. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

    ieani

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2006
    Location:
    the states for now
    #17
    yes I have, but i need to make sure I cannot be convinced another way.
     
  18. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    Location:
    East Coast, US
    #18
    Wait two weeks and get a maxed out widescreen iBook. I'm sure it'll meet your needs and will cost even less. Although the MBPs have a "wow" factor, I think the new iBooks will even have a greater "wow" factor. Two or three years down the road, the maxed out 2.0 will only sell for maybe $100 or $200 more than the stock 1.83, so you're losing even more on depreciation. I think Apple overpriced the 2.0, but they're selling, so I guess not.
     
  19. miniConvert macrumors 68040

    miniConvert

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    #19
    Get the top end maxed-out model. You don't need it, yet, but you want it, you have the money and it's going to last you longer that way. Plus you get more bragging rights.
     
  20. gunm macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2006
    Location:
    HI
    #20
    If you don't have the budget for it, then don't buy it.

    Save your cash and buy the model you really want later.

    If you can't wait and need to buy something now, then get what you can afford.
     
  21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #21
    I agree, unless you plan to play a lot of games on this machine. You said you would use it or "entertainment," and i'm not sure what you mean by that, but if you're not playing a lot of 3d games, get the macbook. :)
     
  22. After G macrumors 68000

    After G

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #22
    Save the money.

    Although it is nice to have top of the line hardware, Apple will probably come up with something else that you'll want a few months from now. Like iPod Video, Mac Tablet, true DVR/media center solution.

    And that $700 you save now can go toward your next Apple purchase.
     
  23. theophilus macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2006
    Location:
    Indiana
    #23
    If you really want an opinion...

    Get the 1.83. You don't really need the extra power.

    Give the $700 to some great charity. You can sponsor two kids for food, clothing, and an education for a whole year for $768 at Compassion International (or there are many other great charities). You get letters from your sponsored kids too. I have a mac mini 1.25. I'd love to have a faster computer, but I don't really need one, and the letters and pictures I get from my sponsored children make it well worth the small sacrifice I make.

    Good luck either way!
     
  24. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

    ieani

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2006
    Location:
    the states for now
    #24
    What I meant is ill be watching movies, listening to music, burning DVDs, burning CD's, editing pictures, instant messaging, writing papers etc. not any heavy video editing or graphics work.

    As far as 3d games, Ill be playing World Of Warcraft and UT2007(if it can handle it).

    I dont think $700 would make or break a trip to Europe, so Im sticking with my maxed out order. Im planning on picking up a second job in the summer anyways, specifically to fund the trip.
     
  25. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

    ieani

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2006
    Location:
    the states for now
    #25
    The ibook screen will be too small and If I think the MBro 1.83 is speced low the Ibook is definitely not going to be any better.

    None of that interests me. If I was to spend money on that, it would be no different then spending it on a better speced laptop.
     

Share This Page