all PB owners with Panther installed try this!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by andyjamesnelson, Nov 9, 2003.

1. andyjamesnelson macrumors 6502

ok i have noticed this since i installed panther on my 1.25gig PB.

open finder in colunm view and highlight (not open) a sound file / video file / toast audio image file etc.

make sure that the "preview" tab is in its on postion.

now i have to be in a very quiet room to hear this but every time i do the above i hear a high pitched noise come from the PB.

as soon as i deselect the file and move to highlight a no audio / video file etc, the sound stops. if i go back to highlight an audio file the sound starts again and remains untill the audio / video file is deselected.

note this sound still comes from the PB even with the speakers muted.

the sound does not occur when using apps like itunes etc or over the speakers when playing audio or video.

the sound is only present when a such a file is highlighted in the finder / in colunm view / with preview on.

please try this and see if yours does the same, this as only been the case since i install panther, and i stress you have to be in a quiet room to hear this. andy.

2. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

come on 50 + people have looked at this. surely one off you must have tried it? does the same happen to you?

3. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

it's normal.. happens when ur doing other things too

4. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

what do u mean its normal? its annoying thats for sure. well its annoying if your in a really quiet room anyway. i havent noticed it at other times, when else does it happen with your PB?

5. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

and it didnt happen with jaguar installed! i check by rebooting the whole system and nope it dont happen in jaguar 10.2.8! so how is it normal?

6. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I know that it makes that sound when accessing SSL secured websites as well, but I have never heard it while in the finder, even when performing the task you detailed.

It's just the hamster wheel squeaking a little bit, poor guy really is working hard in there.

8. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

no i dont think its the same sound when going to secure sites in safari. thats a much louder squeek.

this sound is a high pitch sound that continues until the file is deselected.

i cannot think of a good reason for this to happen, panther seems to have brought alot of down-grades as well as up-grades.

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I don't hear any noise while doing what you described.

10. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

well you should try it a really quiet enviroment. i bet it happens. some of my freinds didnt notice at first but then realized. its a well annoying sound.

11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I did it in a silent room with my ear about 2 centimeters from my PowerBook. If there is a noise then either I am going deaf or there is something wrong with your PowerBook and not with them in general.

12. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

My TiBook does it. (Nov 2002 Edition)

It is a really high pitched noise. Similar to the pitch that a monitor makes when it doesn't have signal. I also noticed a slight pop when I clicked on the file.

But I don't find it particularly annoying. I am sure Apple will address it in a later update.

13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Mine does it too (15" Ti 1GHz), but it's not really that noticeable.

The Safari thing was much worse, IMO.

14. MacDaddie0 macrumors newbie

I've read some where that this screeeeech noise has to do with ATI's video chip.

I notice it on my Al 15", 17" and thinkpad A30p. (all have ATI's Radeon Mobility series)

Has quality of ATI gone sour yet?

15. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

what i dont understand is that this niose is only present after installing panther! why would that be the case?

16. Caspa macrumors member

My 12" Rev A makes the sound too, which has a geforce in it... so its not just the ATI ones..

Very strange :confused:

17. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

all you guys who are hearing this sound. did you hear it with jaguar installed? i didnt, as i said above i only noticed after installing jaguar, if some of you are running jaguar and panther please could your try it out on jag and see what if the sound is still present. andy.

18. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

12"

My 12" makes the sound too, but it's not bothering me. I have Jaguar 10.2.8 installed, too cheap to upgrade to Panther right now. :)

But is something this quiet really bothering you this much? I have to have my ear 1 cm away from my PowerBook to hear it! By the way, with my 12", it seems to come from the right palm rest.

Use Windows, that's much more annoying.

19. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

20. GigaWire macrumors 6502

21. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, I'm pretty sure PC laptops do the same thing... if you could hear the pitches over their fans.

22. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

You should go into my suitemates' room. They have a Gateway, Dell, and Toshiba laptop respectively and the collective heat along with the sound of all of those fans going on is insane. I walk in there and start sweating almost instantly and the Toshiba is the loudest, it sounds like a hair dryer on the highest setting almost all the time.

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I just started hearing that sound this weekend when I set up my beige for hosting VNC. When I connect from the PB I get a loud squeek that only appears when my VNC client is idling (or beachballing, happens all too often on this ****ty network) and not updating the window.

yeah yeah, I know I brought the thread back to life :rolleyes:

24. Edot macrumors 6502

Sounds

The PowerMac dual G5 makes some weird high pitched squeaking noises too. Only happens when you start to do something a little intensive. The thing reminds me of being at the dentist every once in a while:D.

25. RiseAgainst macrumors regular

Maybee it's because...

Maybee it's the speakers initializing for the preview of the sound in column view. I'm not sure if the preview function is avlible in Jaguar cause I really never used column view.